PLEASE NOTE: The following post is an extract from my project blog and should be read in the spirit of the project which is about fountain pen ink exploration. I am NOT discussing pure CMYK dyes or inks. I am discussing fountain pen inks that can be mixed together to create secondary and tertiary colours - these are different. This post is aimed at the arts and crafts communities with the intention of encouraging them to try out fountain pens for creative uses and is posted under inky thoughts accordingly.

nick_stewart_4colour00022.jpg

For the last 3 years I have been deconstructing fountain inks in the name of creative investigation to see if it’s possible to reimagine them as something other than just a handwriting agent for fountain pens. To see if it’s possible to help them defy the onslaught of digital visual software and find them a greater purpose within the analogue traditions that will guarantee their future and longevity.

Even within the fountain pen communities, disciples and followers with huge collections of coloured inks, are not necessarily fully aware of the potential that these magical fluids have to offer. And outside of the communities, fountain pen inks are increasingly an endangered species – a rare sighting.

My challenge has been to find a way of reintroducing fountain pen inks to both old and new audiences and demonstrating how exciting, interesting, compulsive and essential these fluids can be. Certainly, the workshops that I lead in exploring chromatography, serendipity, blending and bleaching etc are popular, but they will need a lot more exposure and greater attendance in order to really spread the word.

nick-stewart-inks-005.jpg

nick-stewart-inks-001.jpg

So how does one move a product which has spent it’s entire existence in the stationery sector into an arts and craft sector? As mentioned in a recent post, I have been working on a 4 colour set of inks that are both stand alone fountain pen inks with their own characteristics but when used together, can create a complete palette of secondary and tertiary colours.

nick_stewart_4colour001.jpg

For many artists whether amateur or professional, an understanding of colour is an essential part of the creative process. And what I have created here, is exciting, interesting, compulsive and essential. The big advantage over the process watercolour and pure dye CMYK alternatives is that these fountain pen inks are unique colours that have been specifically created with base dyes and other chemical additives to ensure good ink flow etc – and it’s this alchemy that induces the chromatography and the serendipity. So, as a stand alone educational tool, this 4 colour ink set warrants your attention!

nick_stewart_4colour006.jpg

But as well as for use in colour theory, these four inks are absolutely ideal for painting and illustration – in particular for travel journalling as they are extremely portable, mix readily and look great. The examples shown are some initial writings and images I created on a recent hike along the South Downs in East Sussex. I think the gentle chromatic interactions between the inks make for great secondary and tertiary colours. And they’re so vivid too! No sediments or sludges!

nick_stewart_4colour004.jpg

But the crucial aspect for me is the medium continuity. I have yearned to see journalling move on in a purist way, and now that’s possible. Image and text in harmony – ALL from the same source – fountain pen ink!

If you wish to know about my project, and where it's heading, my blog can be found at www.nickstewart.ink

Edited by NickiStew

To view the full article and images please visit my blog: **** WWW.NICKSTEWART.INK ****

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NickiStew

• Corona688

• inkstainedruth

• AreBeeBee

Wow. These look great.

I have a question about what the long-term permanence (UV and water resistance, etc.) will be on these. But they're definitely something I'd be interested in getting when they become available. Although, as I said on another thread, I don't have NEARLY the artistic skills that you do....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Agree completely with instainedruth's reponse.

My thought also goes to what are the effects of those inks on pens? That is, how do the inks achieve such saturated color, and what does this mean for any pen that uses them?

(Edit: I'm writing from the viewpoint of someone who uses vintage pens almost exclusively.)

Edited by AreBeeBee

The inks are not waterproof and are fugitive by nature. I do however recommend that artwork is sprayed with a matte UV protection aerosol as this protects the inks from fading. With regards to use in fountain pens, these are the real deal and made for me by Diamine, who as you know have a substantial heritage in fountain pen ink manufacture. You dont get much better than that! These are not heavy sheening inks and therefore your nibs and feeds should be absolutely fine if you wish to use these.

To view the full article and images please visit my blog: **** WWW.NICKSTEWART.INK ****

The inks are not waterproof and are fugitive by nature.

You do realize such problems nearly killed watercolor as an art form.

You do realize such problems nearly killed watercolor as an art form.

I have so wanted to respond to certain comments with what you've just said. But have been made fully aware that sarcasm isn't welcome outside of the UK. Waterproof watercolour inks? You couldn't make it up...

Don't be silly. You said they were fugitive by nature, which means:

Fine Arts. changing color as a result of exposure to light and chemical substances present in the atmosphere, in other pigments, or in the medium.

Relying on coal-tar colors which turned out to be fugitive almost destroyed watercolors as an art form. Most art from that era rapidly faded beyond recognition or merit.

Don't be silly. You said they were fugitive by nature, which means:

Relying on coal-tar colors which turned out to be fugitive almost destroyed watercolors as an art form. Most art from that era rapidly faded beyond recognition or merit.

Don't be silly. You said they were fugitive by nature, which means:Relying on coal-tar colors which turned out to be fugitive almost destroyed watercolors as an art form. Most art from that era rapidly faded beyond recognition or merit.

My apologies. I misinterpreted what you meant.Yes, fading is a well known issue with fountain pen inks and to slow this process down I spray my artwork with a matte ink jet UV protection. Its proven to be quite effective. Apologies once more. N Edited by NickiStew

• 2 weeks later...

Nick, do you have a link to the UV spray you are using? I'll add it to my next fade tests.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Is your text overwritten on washed areas done after the painting/washing is fully completed & dried; written in Twilight Black?

Or is there a good alternative permanent black you'd recommend, for writing first then able to be painted over without running or mixing.

Is your text overwritten on washed areas done after the painting/washing is fully completed & dried; written in Twilight Black?

Or is there a good alternative permanent black you'd recommend, for writing first then able to be painted over without running or mixing.

Image created first and then text written in Twighlight.