A Little Help On The Current Sonnet

Eric2018

Many of the Parker fans in love with the vintage pens, yet it's not easy to find a good one in the market.

I have few pens but no Parker and I recently come across some Sonnets in a shop and the pens look fine.

[1] Having read some threads here that saying Sonnets have the hard start and skipping problem, is that also true for the current Sonnet?

[2] Any performance differences on 18k and steel nib in Sonnet? I intend to get a medium Italic.

Please help sharing your experience.

Thanks, pal.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• mitto

• RonE

• Eric2018

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a few modern Sonnets. They are always on sale. One needed the tines flossed for better flow. Other than that go for it. Shop around. There are sales! Best, Ron

Some of mine are excellent.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I like their clean, classic design, I bought two in the late 90's, black with gold trim because I didn't know any better, mistreated the 18k nibs, eventually ended up buying fine steel nibs, which are nicely smooth: recent ones seem to have the exact same design, although others might correct me. They are my most temperamental pens but I finally enjoy using them:

• They evaporate like crazy, but I stopped knocking my head against a wall and just keep them in a case with a clear top (a Platinum case I think); of course this might not be as important to you; I have had no starting or flow problems.

fpn_1537825325__sonnet_case.jpg

• Not every ink gets along with them, even with this arrangement, I am now using Fuyu Gaki and Souten which seem fine. Lie de Thé came out really dry. In the last iteration I put a bit of cellophane between the nib and feed of the one with Souten and it finally comes out less dark than in every other pen I tried. So two unlikely renegades came together to get the job done.

fpn_1537825376__renegades.jpg

• They demand to be used, if not they seem to want to slightly cling on to paper, which is also something that happened with my Pelikan m600; of course not everyone might keep 25 pens inked. They are easy to disassemble and clean, if need be, the nib and feed rotate out of the section, and parts are available.

On the other hand, they are heavily pirated, I wouldn't buy any Sonnet from China (not that there's anything wrong with China, if it costs less than $10 USD... it's a fake. A very good price for a real one might start at $35) and I would pay close attention when buying elsewhere. Some recent editions look nice buy command rather ludicrous prices over the more regular ones. So in spite of my odyssey, they are nice pens.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I have one with a Medium gold nib and one with a Fine steel nib. They're both equally smooth.

My experience regarding their temperamental nature mirrors those of others. I shall try the clear plastic case trick.

alex

---------------------------------------------------------

We use our phones more than our pens.....

and the world is a worse place for it. - markh

Some Sonnets:

fpn_1474224743__sonnets1364.jpg

There were some nice colors over the years.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Many of the Parker fans in love with the vintage pens, yet it's not easy to find a good one in the market.

It has been relatively easy for me to find good vintage Parker pens in the market. That is also true of many other FPN members. On the whole, vintage pens have given me less trouble than modern pens. I happen to own more modern than vintage pens, so I've had a chance to learn from my experiences.

That said, anyone who seriously wants a Sonnet, for whatever reason, should feel free to buy one and see what happens.

The Sonnet I think is a good pen, even a great one. Like many great creatures, it is temperamental, and both of mine tend to dry out if left for few days without use, so they have to be pampered. Either in use constantly or washed out and re-inked when they dry out. But these bits of attention do not impair writing quality, always superior. The 18k nibs are better for me than the steel nibs, as they bend and are softer with more give.

Can't locate my photos of writing samples at the moment but I will upload them as soon as I do for a look at how soft and responsive the gold Sonnet nibs are. Worth the slightly higher expense.

No man is a slave unless he is willing to be bought by another. (EP)

Back to answer question part 2. The nibs on mine are pretty similar. Both are fine. Both are rather firm. The gold may have a tad more spring but that is a personal call for sure. They work best when used daily, they enjoy being used.

Only have one but it's a beauty! Sterling Silver Fougere!

post-5351-0-24324700-1537934505.jpg

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!