Mb With Other Inks

TripleOne

Hello FPN,

Is it okay to use inks from other brands with the MB fountain pen?

I love Robert Oster, Diamine, Pilot, and Noodler's inks. I'm worried that the sheen, shimmering, or ingredients of other barnds might cause problems in the long run.

What inks do you usually use for your Montblanc fountain pens? and for the MB limited editions, do you strictly stay with MB inks as well?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TripleOne

• zaddick

• BillH

• EBGBs

Top Posters In This Topic

I use any ink from major makers. I do not use inks with sparkles or particles in it with any pen.

I do like MB ink so I use it a lot, but also Iroshizuku, Waterman, Visconti, Sheaffer, Pelikan, etc.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I use any ink from major makers. I do not use inks with sparkles or particles in it with any pen.

I do like MB ink so I use it a lot, but also Iroshizuku, Waterman, Visconti, Sheaffer, Pelikan, etc.

How do you usually clean your Montblancs?

Edited by TripleOne

Flushing with water and then usually using paper towels or tissues to draw out remaining moisture until the ink is all gone. Nothing special or any disassembly.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I had the same question. I have been writing things recently that I would like to last, and was wondering if I should risk using iron gall ink in my MBs (whether the MB permanent ink or a different brand, like KWZ). Seems like I would be taking a bit of a risk, but am also curious if any one else has used iron gall ink in MBs and, if so, what the result has been.

How about Noodler's, Robert Oster, and Diamine?

Very much all the same as Zaddick;

I have used inks by Diamine, Iroshizuku, Robert Oster, Colorverse, Sailor and Monteverde in my Montblanc pens, and never had any problem. The only inks I avoid in my MBs (and expensive pens in general) are those with sparkles, shimmers and so forth.

I clean my pens with water, and/or fountain pen flush (Monteverde’s) for the more saturated inks, and paper tissue

Very much all the same as Zaddick;

I have used inks by Diamine, Iroshizuku, Robert Oster, Colorverse, Sailor and Monteverde in my Montblanc pens, and never had any problem. The only inks I avoid in my MBs (and expensive pens in general) are those with sparkles, shimmers and so forth.

I clean my pens with water, and/or fountain pen flush (Monteverde’s) for the more saturated inks, and paper tissue

Are sheening inks okay?

Like Fire & Ice by Robert Oster, or Majestic Blue by Diamine.

Yes, Inks with high sheen tend to be deeply saturated so will often take quite a bit of effort to clean out. You really only need to worry about it in a sac filled pen which can dry out and stick the sac walls together (even if not fully rinsed out). The inks you mention shouldn't be a problem at all. The ones that get sticky are Organics Studio's high sheeners.

I would say the same advice holds for the POA pens too.

The "use only Montblanc inks" is the fountain pen equivalent of "for best results use only Fuji film"...

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

I would say the same advice holds for the POA pens too.

The "use only Montblanc inks" is the fountain pen equivalent of "for best results use only Fuji film"...

So basically, I can use whatever I want but avoid shimmering inks?

I actually thought of just using MB inks specifically for the Patron of Art.

I have been using all types of inks including shimmering inks on my MB 146 and 149.

Are sheening inks okay?

Like Fire & Ice by Robert Oster, or Majestic Blue by Diamine.

They are okay indeed; I have Fire and Ice in my Tolstoy right now

So basically, I can use whatever I want but avoid shimmering inks?

I actually thought of just using MB inks specifically for the Patron of Art.

I have been using all types of inks including shimmering inks on my MB 146 and 149.

I avoid shimmer inks in my good pens because I am leery of the suspended particles that make the shimmer... the potential for feed clogging and the extra cleaning is not worth it to me. Other folks use them and don't seem to have trouble. Your call. There are other threads on FPN discussing the pros and cons of shimmer inks... check them out, then make your decision for your usage. No judgments from me, I'm just too lazy to use them :D

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso