Slim Jim Or Big Bob

Inky.Fingers

High tide or low tide? Do you always reach for Bib Bob all the time or sometimes you also favor Slim Jim?

When I first started out with FP, I always search for a BIG pen to show off how much improvement I can make with this new pen.

My rabbit hole is full of stuffs like MontBlanc 149, Pelikan M1000, Sailor King of Pen, Sheaffer PFM -- Wow! What a nice PEN! Still looking for the MB 139 or the Hemingway!

Now that I have improved somewhat of my penmanship, I tend to reach for the smaller, slimmer pen to write with.

Shaeffer Imperial Triump, MB 1266, MB Slim, and the Geha 736 are really great performance pens.

Which pen are you reaching for then and now?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Inky.Fingers

• BaronWulfraed

• chromantic

• senzen

Top Posters In This Topic

I can write with Pelikan m200 sized pens up to MB 149's. I think in general I like something in the middle of those two sizes. I think overall size might be one of the less important factors. Nib, balance, section, or weight might might be more important the overall thickness.

Slim Jim for me, please. That accounts for my fondness for 'stick'-type school pens. In regular pens, M200/400 is about my upper limit but even that is somewhat grudging - I prefer the slimmer M150.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

If you want "slim", try the Sailor Chalana :lol: It will make any Pelikan seem fat.

It's even smaller than a lacquered Pilot pen I bought in the early 80s (that one, at least, holds a standard Pilot squeeze converter).

I often reach for standard width pens, and my medium-long 400NN is medium width. How ever I have a standard sized MB234 1/2 Deluxe that is thicker girthed. My medium-long 605 along with some vintage Osmia 76's are thicker girthed....Not so much as I remember a 800 being, nor as wide as my 1005.

I have a couple of thin Large pens I'll grab before a wider girthed Large pen..

But the forefinger up way I grasp a fountain pen removes girth as a factor in in that grip, thin, normal or wider girthed pens don't matter; in I'm not pressing with a 10-2 Tripod grip.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Usually a Pilot Falcon or a Pelikan M400, so on the smaller-average side.

Ah! The smaller-average is not to say it is as small as a biro. A Pilot Falcon and M400 are very different animals to me. I like them both very much, and I still prefer a Waterman 12. These modern pen doesn't seem to have the same kick as the vintage.

I can write with Pelikan m200 sized pens up to MB 149's. I think in general I like something in the middle of those two sizes. I think overall size might be one of the less important factors. Nib, balance, section, or weight might might be more important the overall thickness.

True that! If you are using muscle movement, it doesn't matter with pen you use. Being able to feel comfortable with a nice balance pen is very luxurious.

Slim Jim for me, please. That accounts for my fondness for 'stick'-type school pens. In regular pens, M200/400 is about my upper limit but even that is somewhat grudging - I prefer the slimmer M150.

The Pelikan Silvexa are nice and slim, if you are looking vintage. The M200 modern comes with a steel blade, is not as enticing as the 14k M400. I wasn't aware that the M150 is slimmer.

If you want "slim", try the Sailor Chalana :lol: It will make any Pelikan seem fat.

It's even smaller than a lacquered Pilot pen I bought in the early 80s (that one, at least, holds a standard Pilot squeeze converter).

Yes. The Sailor Chalana .. is nice and it is stiff as nail or does it feel a bit mushy with the 18k? Very interesting pen. Thanks for bring it up! My wallet will thank you.

I often reach for standard width pens, and my medium-long 400NN is medium width. How ever I have a standard sized MB234 1/2 Deluxe that is thicker girthed. My medium-long 605 along with some vintage Osmia 76's are thicker girthed....Not so much as I remember a 800 being, nor as wide as my 1005.

I have a couple of thin Large pens I'll grab before a wider girthed Large pen..

But the forefinger up way I grasp a fountain pen removes girth as a factor in in that grip, thin, normal or wider girthed pens don't matter; in I'm not pressing with a 10-2 Tripod grip.

These vintage have a real good balance on them, in terms of girth and length. These were designed for post posted and un-posted writing. Very impressive line of truly writing instrument.

Do you hold it like this?

43076127390_11bf67b595_m.jpg

Edited by _InkyFingers

Shorter, slimmer and the nib is smaller, too - the difference is slight but noticeable (certainly not as dramatic as the diminutive M300). Many of us find the steel nibs equally as enticing as the 14k, for different reasons.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Yes. The Sailor Chalana .. is nice and it is stiff as nail or does it feel a bit mushy with the 18k? Very interesting pen. Thanks for bring it up! My wallet will thank you.

But isn't a nice clean pen more desirable than a wad of filthy paper?

http://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/Chalana_Compare.jpg

Sailor 1911L; Sailor Chalana; Pilot <unknown model>; Pilot Vanishing Point.

Apologies for the poor cell-phone photo. I also realize I should have put a Pelikan 200 next to the Chalana to support my prior statement.

For nearly 40 years, the red Pilot was my smallest pen (I tend to refer to it as "cigarette"). I pulled the section from the body just to reinforce my comment about just fitting over a regular size squeeze converter. In truth, it was many years before I learned that was a cartridge/converter model -- the converter was in the pen when I bought it, with no cartridges.

Edited by BaronWulfraed

Shorter, slimmer and the nib is smaller, too - the difference is slight but noticeable (certainly not as dramatic as the diminutive M300). Many of us find the steel nibs equally as enticing as the 14k, for different reasons.

There is no reasoning other than the yellow gold color, slightly more flexible else it is the same. Still, some have no desire for a steel nib when a 14k is readily available.

But isn't a nice clean pen more desirable than a wad of filthy paper?

Sailor 1911L; Sailor Chalana; Pilot <unknown model>; Pilot Vanishing Point.

Apologies for the poor cell-phone photo. I also realize I should have put a Pelikan 200 next to the Chalana to support my prior statement.

For nearly 40 years, the red Pilot was my smallest pen (I tend to refer to it as "cigarette"). I pulled the section from the body just to reinforce my comment about just fitting over a regular size squeeze converter. In truth, it was many years before I learned that was a cartridge/converter model -- the converter was in the pen when I bought it, with no cartridges.

Wow! That is slim...most lady like! I can almost see a pencil as a replica.

Wow! That is slim...most lady like! I can almost see a pencil as a replica.

The band around the cap is smaller than the typical wood pencil.

Taking a nib unit out of a Pelikan 200, the Chalana barrel will go about 1.5 inches into the throat of the bird.

Can't speak to the Chalana nib characteristics -- haven't inked it in a few years.

Edited by BaronWulfraed

Whichever is comfortable, I like thicker pens but balk at high prices, which in my case means more than $160 (yes, very arbitrary), even if I've paid more in the past, so I stick with Pelikan m200 sized pens or thereabout. Thinner pens are just uncomfortable and painful to me, which doesn't mean it applies to everyone.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell