Platinum Preppy Fine Nib Eyedropper Coverted Best Inks?

Pen90rnAddict

Hi Awsome Network Bloggers,

I am having a bit of a problem with ink drips collecting at the nibs of Platinum Preppy fine point eyedropper converted pens. Of course I have recently enjoyed converting all of the Platinum Preppy's to an eyeropper converted style when the trouble started. They were perfect writers with their own cartridge and ink brand. I'm needing some advice on a middle of the road ink that is not too dry nor too wet I'm thinking. Perhaps some experience with problems concerning Preppy eyedroppers out there.

The ink that leaked first was Mont Blanc's Lavendar Purple in the purple converted Preppy which I love...then immediately again in another converted pink Preppy pen with Pilot's Kosumosu. Strangly, the complete opposite was true in the same pen with Diamine's Carnation which was so "dry" I could not get the ink to flow nor the pen to write!

I love these pens for basic daily writing because I love the absolute juicyness of that particular fine point, it's cheap so I can test my own mountain of ink without the fear of ruining my expensive pens, and the fact if I lose it I probably won't go crazy looking for it if it gets misplaced but that is most likely not going to happen sadly. I just need to find that sweet spot ink for these pens. Definitely prefer a wet writer, but not so much that after every word I have to tilt the pen up to avoid an ink blot.

Could it be the ink level and the air pocket theory are involved here?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ENewton

• Honeybadgers

• Pen90rnAddict

• Mechayoshi

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm new to this but I would think that's an eyedropper issue, not necessarily the inks fault. If it was some other fault in the pen it wouldn't have been fine with the cartridges.

<b>Inked up:</b> Ranga 3C, Lamy 2000, Pilot Custom 74, Pelikan m205 , Platinum Preppy, Pilot Decimo<br><b>Inks currently using:</b> Troublemaker Blue Guitar, Nemosine Alpha Centauri, Noodler’s Navy, Aircorps blue black<br> Signature ink and pen: Noodler’s Navy + Lamy 2000

The problem is not due to your choice of ink. Many, probably most, eyedroppers will burp ink if the ink level is low. One way to avoid the problem is to keep the pen relatively full at all times. Another is not to write long enough for your hands to make the barrel warm.

Don't dare use baystate blue. I nearly ruined a preppy that way. the feed is REALLY hard to get 100% of the old ink out and even a speck of BSB will clog it.

Make sure your pen has no cracks and the feed is pressed in completely. a preppy shouldn't leak until it's below 25% ink. I've had a preppy eyedroppered for two years straight and it's never burped once.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)