Does Anyone Here Know How Many Of The Bungbox.......

Claud

Ginza Metro 90th anniversery pens were issued? Just trying to determine if its a rare pen (then I will not use it ) or only semi rare at best (and I will).

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Claud

• mke

• Ghost Plane

• Seiryuu

Thank you MKE. This one will not get inked. Am I wrong that 90 is "rare" ? I paid a bunch of money to get it because I just think the cosmetics and presentation are first rate.

What is rare? You and 89 others have one.

I would use it. You can enjoy it more often if you use it than if you are not using it.

What is rare? You and 89 others have one.

I would use it. You can enjoy it more often if you use it than if you are not using it.

I think you are right. Up to this point, I do not have any drawer queens anyhow. I also have some pens that cost twice as much as this one. Thanks for helping me get my head straight.

Do they significantly rise in value over time? I would have thought these were essentially whimsical, fun pens rather than collectors type pens.

Usually not significantly, Sailor seems to output a lot of limited edition plastic pens of this ilk.

I don't think that they have a real resale value. You always make minus if you resell them, even if the pen is unused.

Following the auctions on Yahoo, I think they sell a little bit better than normal pens. But it is fully unpredictable how much better they sell.

There are simply too many of these LE - often with too bizarre color combinations. Anyway, you make lot of minus if you keep them or if you use them. The amount of minus depends on your luck.

@Uncial described it best. They are (expensive) fun pens.

But for fun pens, I would prefer to dive into the recent surge of good Indian or Chinese pens. They are at around 20-100 USD vs 200 for the cheapest Sailor LEs. several of them are even using Bock or Jowo nibs.

See here for new Chinese pens: https://frankunderwater.com/

For Indian pens: you have to look by yourself.

Or if you prefer some bespoke pens, look e.g. here: https://scriptoriumpens.com/
They are about the same price than bizarre-colored Sailor LEs, you have more choices and the pens look much better.

• 1 month later...

I think the recent wave of Sailor LEs is all about hype and fun - who knows what people will think about that in 10 years.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I think the recent wave of Sailor LEs is all about hype and fun - who knows what people will think about that in 10 years.

In 50 years some poor soul will devote an entire collection to Sailor LEs from Bungubox and hunt in vain for that missing Ginza pen. 😝

My pen is smaller than yours. Now get off my lawn.

In 50 years some poor soul will devote an entire collection to Sailor LEs from Bungubox and hunt in vain for that missing Ginza pen.

God, I hope so. Meanwhile its a pretty yellow pen that is basically a Sailor and writes good.

If one of your initials are G, all the better.

For my collection, and I mean collection, seek Platinum LEs and SEs. Not users. Have enough of them of all stripes already. Compared to Sailor, they are better designed and scarcer. Of course, should you must have the special mauve Realo created for the graduating class of some unknown high school in Hokkaido or pen dedicated to the latest anime star, the Plats cannot compete.

From what I see on Yahoo Japan, selling prices for better Plats is going up. Sailor LEs are still are a hard sell. Maybe some of the Sailor afficionados can offer some insight.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club