A Post In Favor Of Posting

Precise

Precise, where your pen rests is different for each, more to the back with each added 'weight'.

I do 'preach' let the pen's weight let it rest where it wishes, instead of forcing it to be at a certain angle...say just 45 degrees.

If a pen wants to rest at 40 degrees at the start of the web of the thumb, let it..

..if heavy or very long, it might want to rest in the pit of the thumb.....with the pen so deep in the hand resting so, does make the nib lighter**, in the weight is not swinging free but supported by the pit of the thumb.

**Might give a heavy pen a tad more nimbleness.

Depending on how the nib is ground, that can also make a difference to how much tipping is laying on the paper to what angle.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• Precise

• pajaro

• praxim

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My switch to posting sparked a curiosity about adding even more weight to the pen. This Bexley Prometheus barrel weighs 18.5g. The cap weighs 9g. And the Delrin weight that I just made today weighs 20g (see last photo).

I tried writing unposted, posted with cap, and posted with the 20g weight. The differences are surprisingly subtle.

fpn_1537579906__bexley_posted_with_20g_w

How do you like the feel?

Never posted and been using fountain pens since school.

I think most pens look ugly when posted and I don't like the weight on the end of the barrel. I'm happy putting the cap on the desk.

Most pens look ugly when posted to me and the obvious risk of damage when posting.

Not posting a pen in work or at home doesn't matter, but I can see the advantage to posting in school where a fellow student might think it fun to steal your pen cap.

a small but important fact for those who do post - assuming the cap has a clip, it should mean that when the pen is put down on the desk, the pen won't roll.

In response to the question about writing with the 20g weight, "How does it feel?". I'm not aware of much effect on feel. But when I post, especially with this weight, motion is damped or slowed. The longer and heavier "stick" in my hand doesn't pivot as easily. And that's why I'm switching to posting. I'm thinking that the greater inertia will damp small twitches or tremors and produce smoother cursive lines.

Mind you, the differences are subtle -- smaller than I expected. But it opens up a new aspect of pen use, that I'll be learning more about in the coming months.

I used to take a negative view of Chinese pens built on a brass chassis and weighing much more than resin pens from Japan and Europe. Now I'm viewing these heavy pens with heightened interest. For example the Duke Chaplin pen weighs 75g total and 40g capless. I've had one for years and although it always wrote very well (especially for only $25), I hadn't used it for years. Now, I've smoothed the nib with a bit of flattening and loving the way it writes in my hand. But I'm not going to lug that weight in my shirt pocket. However it's ok in my bookbag.

In fact, I went to ebay last night and ordered a couple more Chinese heavyweights.

I make and play end-blown flutes. The embouchure (interface with my lips) is critical. a tiny shift can sour a note. So years ago, I added brass weights at the ends of my flutes to steady them with increased inertia. Now I'm doing analogous things with my pens.

But when I write, my pen pivots around the point where my thumb crosses the pen. So I'm damping the pivoting motion. But I've read that cursive teachers teach their students to move their entire arm as they write. I imagine that posting would have very little effect on writing that way. If any of you write that way, tell us if posting matters.

Alan

Update 9/22/18:

I just bought a Nakaya Portable Writer with metal threads. The metal threads are a scary threat to the beautiful Urushi, although the manufacturer says "Postable with caution". I wished for more weight. So I made a smaller 20g weight out of Teflon to fit the Nakaya. I love it. I enjoy writing more with it and my penmanship is better. And I got lucky. This new weight fits a bunch of my other pens.

Edited by Precise

I do find your grip...unusual, instead of 10-2 of the classic tripod, you seem to be 12-13:00.

As long as it works fine.

I have an 'unusual' grip also, the 'forefinger up'. More up the barrel with a flat thumb as a dam at 08:30, forefinger resting at 12:30.

Help! How Do You Hold Your Fountain Pen?

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Hi Bo Bo,

I'd like to take this opportunity to compliment your contributions to my pen knowledge. I find your posts interesting and informative.

I'm not sure if I've gotten your message on my grip. I can say that I love the grip of the Omas 360 (but I've rotated the nib about 30 degrees CCW). My affinity for the 360 made me think I had a tripod grip.

However your comment got me looking at my grip. My thumb is centered approximately 28mm above the end of the section. I've just tried centering it about 16mm above the end of the section and that seems to slightly neaten my cursive. I'll try to remember that and practice it more.

Best regards,

Alan

I never post, except those pens that cannot otherwise be used (notably Kaweco Sports), I hate to feel the extra weight, I like light pens, heavier pens must be extremely well balanced (unposted) otherwise they are just not for me.

I don't post my Pelikan 120s, 140s or M200s either, despite I hold pens rather far up. I like my pens to have good flow, so I can use them fast, just slightly touching the paper with no pressure, almost like a paintbrush. If that causes my handwriting to be slightly less tidy, nevermind.

I also like holding the cap in my left hand when writing (never had a cap stolen... or rolling on the floor).

Thank you Precise.

I didn't know much at all when I came here, must have copied 4 meg of posts in the first few months....should go back and re-read them. :rolleyes:

Do go to Richard Binder's site, It is the bible of fountain pens, nibs, silling systerm, good advice on inks and so many :puddle:pretty pens.

Once 96.8% of all I knew was from Richard...now it's only 92.3% ....after a decade I should have learned something. :happyberet:

For general knowledge look up 'tripod grip', in the search section. I learned as a child, used it on BP's and had my problems, that I didn't even know were problems...in that was all I knew. The same problems followed me back to fountain pens.

The Death Grip and the deadly Kung Fu thumb pinch.

It is possible to develop a light hand with it...it just takes a while....

And others say it is much easier and faster to get a light grip with the tripod by using more arm and shoulders....which I may well be deficient at.

Tripod is wider than your grip...thumb at 10- finger at 2 and both pinch, bent thumb joint, bent middle joint of the forefinger. Could be folks out there that don't bend the thumb joint.

If you way works for you, keep at it.

I always post my pens when I can. I just wouldn't know what to do with the cap when writing.

"Postability" is actually a big factor in purchase decisions, and something I always check beforehand in reviews.

Hi Sansenri,

I've been trying to identify what balance means. What do you mean by balance in your quote below?

.... heavier pens must be extremely well balanced (unposted) otherwise they are just not for me.

If you have examples of well balanced and poorly balanced pens. I'd appreciate your adding their balance point to this thread.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/339600-measuring-balance-of-a-fountain-pen/

Many thanks,

Alan

I post, therefore I am alive.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

As I mentioned in #27, I just ordered a few heavy Chinese pens. But I've had a 50 gram Jinhao 159 for a few years that was never inked because I didn't like weight. I inked it tonight and WOW, it's among my top few pens for superb out-of-the box smoothness. And the line uniformity puts many of my $500 pens to shame.

I just checked ebay and the cheapest Jinhao 159 is $2.80 with free shipping and 5 cartridges, or $3.69 with a converter and free shipping. How can they do that????

Alan

Edited by Precise

I just checked ebay and the cheapest Jinhao 159 is $2.80 with free shipping and 5 cartridges, or $3.69 with a converter and free shipping. How can they do that????

1. Large subsidies
  2. Cheaper labour
  3. High volume
  4. Fountain pens at their raw materials are just not that expensive to make & the technology is old and proven.

I expect your question 'how can they do that' was what many people thought when the cheaper, more reliable Japanese cars started pouring into the west.

Volvo was once the very best car one could buy....a bit small for the American market. My father said the worst mistake he ever made, was selling his 6 cylinder Vovo***...that looked like a long nosed VW.

For a while mean age of Volvo's on the road in Sweden....last remembered info was 45 years.

*** back in those days....8 cylinders was so IN.

Rambler had a real great slant 6 with lots of torque...but it was only a 6. And did weird things like save gas.

My Toyota Corolla is now middle aged at 22 years....and will do a couple more, before we buy the last car...a Toyota. It is not cutting edge like an Audi, but perfected yesterday's tec. So reliable, back when when a light bulb went out at only 18 years, they replaced it for free at the Toyota car sales place.

The other light bulbs work just fine.........still.

Having gone pretty much entirely to using vintage pens which are by nature lighter and of smaller length (such as Pelikan 100N etc. and Parker 51 Aerometrics) I have started posting them. It gives me a feeling of increased control and helps keep my touch light.

So odd to hear the P-51 called a smaller pen, back when I was a kid, in B&W TV days, I considered the medium-large P-51 a big pen...............times certainly change.

Yeah, now the users like big and showy. My wife believes MacDonalds fries are responsible for the kids being big. They must all have big hands. The 51 doesn't cost enough, either.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.