Need A Rollerball Recommendation

Poetman

I have changed my bib tastes considerably over the past year or so, from preferring medium/bold lines to fine/medium lines. I use a Waterman Expert F and like the line and would like a rollerball to switch off to. I have a Waterman and Parker, but their F refills are still quite thick on most paper. Im looking for suggestions for either a nice rollerball or even a nice disposable (like a Uniball or Pilot).

Thanks.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Poetman

• Honeybadgers

• Studio97

• IvoryParker

Zebra G301 is a solid rollerball, very well made. I used them before I switched back to a ballpoint fisher AG-7 space pen. I don't really care about ballpoint vs rollerball when the major problem for me is the writing angle (which sucks for both)

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

To me rollerballs and gel pens are becoming nearly the same to me although some rollerballs have a fibrous material in the cartridge and filled with fp ink. But for writing results that suit me I put a uniball 207 Impact Broad point refill into rollerball pens. I find a way to make them work usually with a BP pen spring, front or back.

Edited by Studio97

I would recommend a pilot V5 hi tecpoint as well as the pilot V ball 0.5 (not the V ball grip) . Both are excellent pens with huge ink capacity. I noticed that you're interested in a fine to medium line and on this score these pens perform well I. E. Not too fine to be scratchy yet not so thick to compare to a Parker fine. Let us know which suits you

The Pilot Precise v5 is my favorite rollerball.

The refill from the Pv5 RT will fit perfectly into any pen that uses a Pilot G2 gel refill. My work pens are Pilot B2P gel bodies with blue, black, red, green, and purple Pv5 refills. I love them.

They're also available in a capped version. The capped version has a much larger ink reservoir than the RT and is available in more colors.

I don't know how permanent the ink is so I can't recommend them for check writing, though. A fisher space pen or Uniball super-ink would be a safer bet for that use unless someone has tested Pilot Precise ink and is willing to share the results.

--flatline

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the Pilot Precise V7, and though it writes smooth, it performs like a standard medium. I love line widths like the V7 or a Parker M rollerball when theyre running out of ink. I tried the Pilot Vball .5, which is a bit thicker than most .5s but still not on par with the Parker M or V7 when they are at their end. Any other suggestions?

I tried the Pilot Precise V7, and though it writes smooth, it performs like a standard medium. I love line widths like the V7 or a Parker M rollerball when theyre running out of ink. I tried the Pilot Vball .5, which is a bit thicker than most .5s but still not on par with the Parker M or V7 when they are at their end. Any other suggestions?

The Pilot Precise V5 and V7 pens are also refillable!!!! When they are empty, or near empty, you can remove the nib section using needle nose pliers padded with tape or rubber sleeves, and fill like an eye dropper, replacing the nib section easily. I use Pilot Blue Black ink from the large bottle (350ml, about $21 and change on Amazon). Compare with a 12 pack of the same pen $19+ at Staples, and $13+ on Amazon. I haven’t measured the capacity of these pens, but that 350ml bottle will go a long way and is a great if subdued ink that has some permanence. More blue than black, but great value and makes these pens cheap to use. I hope this is helpful.

I appreciate the feedback, but I am not looking ti change the ink, only to find a disposable pen that writes somewhere in between Pilots .5 or .7like a Parker M or Precise V7 when running out of ink.

• 1 month later...

I just got a Pilot frixion ball 0.7 tossed in with my order from a japanese seller and holy (bleep) do I love the color of blue black it is . It's also super erasable. I don't love how cheap it feels, but it does write like crazy.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)