What Size Diaphragm For This Vacumatic?

mitto

What model/size is the smaller pen and what size diaphragm it would take? I tried the 51 vac size diaphragm but it was too big for the barrel to go inside. My understanding is that it is a Slender (Slender Junior size but with three cap rings). Pen is next to a Standard. Needless to say both pens, as can be seen, are 1st generation lockdown fillers.

Thanks for guidance.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• Ron Z

• Brian-McQueen

• PithyProlix

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets work through it.

There are only three sizes of diaphragm. The Oversize, which is used on the oversize 1st generation Vacs only. Then the standard, which is used on the 3 band standard and 2 band Jr, which is the same diameter as the standard, but a bit shorter.

That leaves one size, which is used on the debutante of both generations, most 2nd generation Vacs except the Maxima, and all 51 pens. That means a debutant diaphragm.

If doesn't appear to fit, its likely that you haven't removed all of the old diaphragm from either the seat in the barrel or area below it. Sometimes the clearance is close enough that you have to hold the diaphragm on the cone and extend the plunger, insert the filler in and then let it snap forward. Do use a glycerine/water based lubricant on the diaphragm on the area over the cone before you put it in the barrel.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Thank you Ron. I cleaned the barrel from inside the best I could and everything went well. New diaphragm now installed.

While soaking the nib section the breather tube somehow got broken into two pieces. I replaced that with a plastic one. Is that ok? Well, I assume so.

The barrel before the diaphragm installation.

The upper side in the picture is the blind cap end.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

Ron laid this out well, but I'll provide a little extra clarity.

Largest size diaphragm is for 1st Generation Oversize pen only.

Middle size diaphragm is for 1st Generation Standard, 1st Generation Junior (not the Slender Junior), 1st Generation Senior, and 2nd Generation Maxima.

Smallest size diaphragm is for every other pen.

• 5 years later...
On 9/21/2018 at 11:40 PM, Brian-McQueen said:

Ron laid this out well, but I'll provide a little extra clarity.

Largest size diaphragm is for 1st Generation Oversize pen only.

Middle size diaphragm is for 1st Generation Standard, 1st Generation Junior (not the Slender Junior), 1st Generation Senior, and 2nd Generation Maxima.

Smallest size diaphragm is for every other pen.

I just received a 1950 Canadian Vac in Golden Brown and I'm not sure which particular model it is - maybe a Junior or Slender Junior? It sounds like I should order the smallest size but I want to be sure, please (particularly because I am on the other side of the world from the diaphragm sources). Model names and their corresponding measurements seem to be inconsistent between different websites. The shops that provide diaphragms also are a bit inconsistent.  I usually order sacs and other parts from The Pendragons in the UK (vintagepensacsandparts.com).

Approximate measurements (± 1mm or so)

• Barrel diameter: 11mm
  • Capped length: 120mm
  • Posted length: 137mm
  • Nib extends from section 20mm

Any help is greatly appreciated, please.

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens