Is Cocoa The New Plum?

Glenn Atkins

Discuss?

Anecdotally, the prices seem to be moving in that direction "somewhat." But then again, all Parker prices seem to have moved up a good bit over the last 5 year or so.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Glenn

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• mitto

• pajaro

• Glenn Atkins

In my experience midnight blue and forest green are also fetching prices as higher as does the cocoa.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

Midnight Blue was actually harder for me to get than Plum (and mine ended up being a little more expensive than my Plummer -- but was still way cheaper than I'd seen Midnight Blue 51s running for on the Bay of Evil). Forest Green? I lucked out on one for $2 US a few weeks ago at an estate sale, but I'm not loving the EF nib it seems to have.

Cocoa is not a color that interests me in any way. I'd buy another black one (which I don't need, having both an Aerometric and a 51 Vac in black) before I got one in Cocoa.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Cocoa is not a color that interests me in any way. I'd buy another black one (which I don't need, having both an Aerometric and a 51 Vac in black) before I got one in Cocoa.

That's the spirit!

247254751_TSUKI-Yo_emptycompressedverkleind.gif.bfc6147ec85572db950933e0fa1b6100.gif

Plum rarity is a product of imagination made fact by the internet.

Mitto must have two dozen by now...

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Mitto is a serious collector of just good P51s and not of a particular color 51s. Colors do arrive at his doorsteps in the process. :)

Khan M. Ilyas

I wanted a Plum -- not because it was rare, but because it was purple. I got a user-grade Demi for a decent price (although not *nearly* as decent a price as the full size Plummer that Farmersmum got the same weekend... and of course I was kicking myself because the seller listed the pen as being black, so I didn't really look at the listing carefully :wallbash:).

Someday it would be nice to have a full size one, but it's not a "WAAANT! Must HAAAVE!" the way I am with some pens. I will always consider it a little weird that I got the Plum way sooner than I expected to be able to snag one -- and that it took *longer* (and for a bit more money) than it did to get Midnight Blue (which was my other "top choice" color when I first went down the 51 rabbit hole....

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Well, I hope Glenn's prophesy is a winner - I've just bought a Cocoa, so doing my little bit to hike the prices. Plum was made, so I'm told, for one year only - for how long was the Cocoa made - anyone know.

Of course, it could be that Glenn has two dozen Cocoas, and he's trying to inflate prices before off-loading. :D Personally, I'm not ecstatic about the colour either, but am a firm believer that it's necessary to have at least one of each colour to act as reference for future hunting.

Well, I hope Glenn's prophesy is a winner - I've just bought a Cocoa, so doing my little bit to hike the prices. Plum was made, so I'm told, for one year only - for how long was the Cocoa made - anyone know.

Of course, it could be that Glenn has two dozen Cocoas, and he's trying to inflate prices before off-loading. :D Personally, I'm not ecstatic about the colour either, but am a firm believer that it's necessary to have at least one of each colour to act as reference for future hunting.

I'm pretty sure that Cocoa is sufficiently different that it won't be mistaken for another color (unlike trying to find Plum, which often turns out to be Burgundy -- or, as in the case of the Plummer Farmersmum got the weekend I got mine, Black).

I think that for the 51 Vacs, it's hard to distinguish Cordovan Brown from Burgundy unless you have them side by side (well maybe not -- Parker 51.com lists Burgundy as *only* an Aerometric color). Couldn't tell you about Buckskin Beige vs. Cordovan vs. Burgundy vs. Yellowstone -- I don't have any of those and truthfully, I suspect that the only ones I'd want in that color range would be maybe be Yellowstone and/or Cordovan.

All I ever wanted was Midnight Blue, until I learned of Plum. Stumbled on a set in an auction with a minute or so left and sniped it for about $209. I like the Midnight Blue pens better. I have about five of them with various nibs and dates of manufacture. I have always found the date codes interesting.

Have a Cocoa demi set too. I like these. Sexy color.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Mitto has more plums that I can grow on my plum trees. This year zero plums.

Mitto has more plums that I can grow on my plum trees. This year zero plums.

The soil. The soil. The soil where my plum trees are planted is extra extra fertile. :)

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

The soil. The soil. The soil where my plum trees are planted is extra extra fertile. :)

:lticaptd:

Should I ask about how your cocoa trees are doing? ;)

Have a small sample size to work from and probably dont buy any where near the number of 51s the previous posters do, but certainly from combing various places I see less cocoas than most other Aerometric colours. Whether that makes them more valuable than a plum is another story entirely. I personally enjoy the colour especially when paired with a gold filled cap.

Short cuts make delays, but inns make longer ones.
Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring, A Short Cut to Mushrooms

Plum crazy, everybody.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.