The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

'autograph' On The Barrel Of A Parker Vacumatic (Year Late 1930's Or Early 1940's)

parker vacumatic vacumatic parker engraving barrel engraving

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 FauzAhmad

FauzAhmad

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 September 2018 - 10:35

Good day everyone!
I picked up this Parker Vacumatic some time ago. It has some sort of engraving on its barrel. It appears to be someone autograph. I do not know if it is done by the person after buying it or if this is was a special order. Any idea what it could be?
IMG_20180920_132926.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 surprise123

surprise123

Estate Find

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 September 2018 - 11:07

Chalk it up (rub some chalk over it) so everyone can see the finer details, maybe a fanboy can decipher whose pen that was.

#3 FauzAhmad

FauzAhmad

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 September 2018 - 13:24

Here's the chalked up version! :) IMG_20180920_162347.jpg

#4 bass1193

bass1193

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 September 2018 - 14:46

R Hoone?

#5 BaronWulfraed

BaronWulfraed

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 September 2018 - 14:47

Best guess is [illegible] Moore

Didn't see any match under Google Images for "signature moore", also tried "moone" but that was flooded with Pokemon covers.

#6 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 September 2018 - 14:59

I acquired a Vacumatic that also had a signature on the barrel. It must have been an option.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

#7 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,622 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 21:42

Back in the Day, engraved names on a fountain pen was a mark of Class.

Factory or good jewelers did them matter of course.

When one graduated from HS or Collage, got married, survived 25 years of marriage or retired after a lifetime with the same company.....one got a fancy pen with your name on it.

Helped keep the pen collectors of the day at bay.........

Had I been more than a worker's kid, I could have had any of my pens engraved....would still have them instead of having to buy a new one ever school year until 10th grade when expensive cartridges and the Bic drove me away from fountain pens...........pre-converter and no one ...pre-net...was spreading the word, cartridge could be filled with needle syringe....which may have been illegal to own then.

Besides which with great luck one could get ten BP re-fills for only 10 cents....a whole year's worth of ink...........left money to buy Spidy #1, which I folded up and put in my back pocket and swapped a week or two later. :headsmack: :gaah:

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#8 surprise123

surprise123

Estate Find

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 September 2018 - 22:45

Seconded. Many of these pens would cost hundreds in today's money... they were the icons of the day. If you got one personalized, that was a status symbol of just how successful you were.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parker vacumatic, vacumatic, parker, engraving, barrel engraving

Sponsored Content

|