Permanent Blue-Black Ink

dave321

in my search for a nice permanent Blue-Black ink (not iron gall type), with memories of the days gone by, I have recently tried

Noodlers Legal Lapis which tends to a Green rather than blue shading, and also Noodlers 54th Massachusetts, very similar to Legal Lapis but possibly on the bluer side.

neither were spot on for what I was looking for.

so I find a mixture of Noodlers Luxury Blue 0.9 parts by volume

Noodlers Black 0.1 parts by volume

an almost perfect mixture (for me) giving a very dark, on the blue side, Blue -Black ink, in a Jinhao x450 this flows well, on the wet side , which I like and is a great colour.

obviously colour is a personal thing, but the above colour is what to me looks more "oldy worldly"

for me the Platinum blue black is not nearly dark enough.

de atrementis dark blue is also a pretty nice permanent blue black.

if there are any others that spring to mind let me know.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cellmatrix

• A Smug Dill

• dave321

• carlos.q

Top Posters In This Topic

Your mix of 9 to 1 by volume is in the right ball park.

Try that ratio using Montblanc's Permanent Blue and Permanent Black.

W/a try out 19 to 1 instead.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

What are your thoughts on mixing inks? I've been known to do it myself periodically, but some enthusiasts are adamantly opposed to it. Is it ok to do it if it's from the same brand?

What are your thoughts on mixing inks? I've been known to do it myself periodically, but some enthusiasts are adamantly opposed to it. Is it ok to do it if it's from the same brand?

Might depend upon pH levels...

I would not want to mix the Platinum Classic <XXX> Black inks with any other Japanese ink (pH 2 acid with pH 8+ alkali).

Your mix of 9 to 1 by volume is in the right ball park.

Try that ratio using Montblanc's Permanent Blue and Permanent Black.

W/a try out 19 to 1 instead.

I have used Montblanc Permanent Blue plus 5% Permanent Black for a couple of years now. That is 20 to 1. Maybe it could be a little darker but it is amazing how much difference that 5% makes, so I decided not to risk the almost full bottle.

Also it is the most waterproof ink I have found. With most waterproof inks some ink runs so, while a clear image is left, you still get a messy page. MB PBl+Bk is unmoved.

Well worth a try.

Pilot or pelikan 4001 blue blacks are excellent waterproof and cheap. Former is 21$ for 350 ml on amazon. got some of the latter at $6 bottle at last months sf pen show.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I've been using vintage Parker blue-black Quink (1960s era; blue diamond bottles) and it still preserves a blue tint when dry. Earlier bl-bk Quink, I find, tends to dry gray, and I've tested half a dozen bottles (1930s to 1950s), almost all NOS.

But since vintage ink is a finite and ever-decreasing resource — and since I find present day bl-bk Quink looks too teal for my taste — I've been mixing my own using a recipe found here on FPN: blue Quink : black Quink in a 5 : 1 proportion.

Works for me. I'd probably try one of the modern, pigment-heavy inks, but I'm using a 1945 Vacumatic and I have no wish to either flush the pen every couple days or risk a bad clog.

Edited by AreBeeBee

I find it highly water resistant, similar to Sandy1's review...

It doesn't wash away completely off the page, and the writing remains legible in most cases, but that is not exactly the definition of waterproof in my book.

I don't think Sandy1 and I are in disagreement, and her water test photos indeed showed something like what I observed. However, water resistance and waterproofness are very different things.

fpn_1537500410__waterproofness_of_pelika

fpn_1537500447__waterproofness_of_pelika

fpn_1537500478__waterproofness_of_pelika

fpn_1537500509__waterproofness_of_pelika

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Rubinato Blu-Nero Inchiostro is also water resistant, to about the same extent as Pelikan 4001 blue-black ink.

fpn_1537508362__waterproofness_of_rubina

I have used Montblanc Permanent Blue plus 5% Permanent Black for a couple of years now. That is 20 to 1. Maybe it could be a little darker but it is amazing how much difference that 5% makes, so I decided not to risk the almost full bottle.

Also it is the most waterproof ink I have found. With most waterproof inks some ink runs so, while a clear image is left, you still get a messy page. MB PBl+Bk is unmoved.

Well worth a try.

this sounds like I will have to check it out !

I find pelikan blue- black to be too pale in colour to be honest, and not that permanent, im not even sure it contains any iron gall in the new formulation, not that I want iron gall

some useful scans and info in the posts above

dave

Edited by dave321

Rubinato Blu-Nero Inchiostro is also water resistant, to about the same extent as Pelikan 4001 blue-black ink.

WOW !

So much information - thnak you :)

It doesn't wash away completely off the page, and the writing remains legible in most cases, but that is not exactly the definition of waterproof in my book.

I don't think Sandy1 and I are in disagreement, and her water test photos indeed showed something like what I observed. However, water resistance and waterproofness are very different things.

pelikan 4001 blue black is highly water resistant but, platinum or sailor pigment inks, strong iron gall such as diamine registrars or ESSRI, noodlers permanent inks or montblanc permanent blue and black inks are clearly better. After years of trying more permanent inks I have come to appreciate it boils down to how much water resistance you need and how much maintenance, in terms of pen cleaning etc. you are willing to put up with. For me pelikan and pilot blue black give great water resistance without asking much in return for pen maintenance. Everyone must find out what works for them. Enjoy the journey!