The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Waterman Gentleman Ink Flow Issue Due To Some Unknown Reasons.

waterman ink flow ink problem dry writing flow issues maintenance feed issues nib issues tines joining at the tip

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FauzAhmad

FauzAhmad

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2018 - 18:26

Hello guys, I picked up this Waterman Gentleman a while a go. It has some issues with the nib. Though the nib looks very fine to me but it writes super dry. it delivers ink only when I apply a little pressure. its a gold nib, in case youre wondering, and its very smooth. I still haven't found any specific angle that it writes fine at. I have serviced the pen a few times but it just doesn't work well. I suspect the problem might be due to its tines having a small gap between them after the breather hole and then joining at the writing tip. ill attach some pictures of the nib and the quality of writing. Also, I think its worth mentioning that if I dip it into some ink, it works well for a few lines. 

Thank you all so much in advance. Looking forward to receiving your thoughts and opinions!  :)

Attached Images

• DSC_0645.jpg
  • DSC_0647.jpg
  • DSC_0648.jpg
  • DSC_0651.jpg
  • DSC_0653.jpg
  • DSC_0654.jpg
  • DSC_0655.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 ENewton

ENewton

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 21:00

What inks have you tried?  Some flow more easily than others.  Try a Waterman ink if you haven't yet done so.

#3 FauzAhmad

FauzAhmad

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 September 2018 - 10:28

What inks have you tried?  Some flow more easily than others.  Try a Waterman ink if you haven't yet done so.

Hey sir! Thank you for your consideration! I will soon try it out! I have a bottle somewhere. Will just have to find it. I was watching a restoration video and I think I might have not flushed it enough times... I'll try both the things out!

#4 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,422 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 21:57

If you are using a converter, there is often a vapor lock due to the thinness of the converter. Pelikan makes a cartridge with a little plastic ball in it you can rescue and put in the converter. A small middle section of a ball point spring would also prevent vapor lock.

Just roll the pen to the side, if it starts drying out and the ball or the spring will go up and break the vapor lock.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#5 FauzAhmad

FauzAhmad

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 September 2018 - 10:38

If you are using a converter, there is often a vapor lock due to the thinness of the converter. Pelikan makes a cartridge with a little plastic ball in it you can rescue and put in the converter. A small middle section of a ball point spring would also prevent vapor lock.

Just roll the pen to the side, if it starts drying out and the ball or the spring will go up and break the vapor lock.

Thank you so much for the interest! I am not using a converter with it. It's just a standard cartridge. Also, I gave it some more flushing and it's working alot better now!:)

#6 FauzAhmad

FauzAhmad

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 September 2018 - 10:38

Works very well now! I flushed it out alot more and filled it with waterman ink! Thank you so much for your help!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: waterman, ink flow, ink problem, dry writing, flow issues, maintenance, feed issues, nib issues, tines joining at the tip

Sponsored Content

|