Name Imprinted On Barrel

Timeline

Does a personal name being imprinted on the barrel of a vintage fountain pen affect the value of it, if so what percentage do you think it devalues the pen?

http://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/LetterExchange.png

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PaulS

• mitto

• Bo Bo Olson

• AAAndrew

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

unlikely something that you could define with any exactness - some folk have no objection to personalizaitons on pens, others give them a wide berth - though it's probably a truism that more people give them a miss than not. However, to some extent it might be related to the type of pen - if it was something that carried a personalization showing the signature of George S. Parker for example, or some other famous character, then most folk wouldn't hesitate to buy :)

Are you speaking from a personal point of view - are you considering buying a pen with such an imprint.

I purchased a Parker Geometric Duofold in very good condition, but it has the name of a dentist on it. I paid less than $40 for it.

http://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/LetterExchange.png

I've heard that an inscription will lower the value. And that some people get a little creeped out by imprints. As for my personal experience, I only have a few pens that have them but I think it's interesting to try and find out information about the prior owner (the bulk of my stash are vintage, so they've mostly had previous owners *anyway*). And the fact that it *does* apparently mean the prices are less desirable only means that I'm not having to pay as much for them. :D In fact, one pen, an unknown model Wearever lever-filler, was FREE! I got it an an antiques fair and the dealer said "Take it -- I can't sell it!" when I tried to hand the pen back to him (nib looked good, sac needed replacing). Imprint turned out to be from a jewelry store in Canonsburg, PA from the late 1940s (there was an antiques mall in the same location more recently, but they closed down before I got a chance to show them the pen. It's not my favorite, but it has a decent stub nib on it.

Tried to get info on the name engraved on my Red Shadow Wave Vac, but no luck (that one I KNOW I got a deal on it because I was sure I'd get outbid, and can only surmise that the engraving was the issue (The pen itself? Turned out to be in working condition and I've run it without any flushing or maintenance for over 3 years now. :thumbup:)

As for the little Welsharp mini-pen? Just initials. Sort of large and black against the off-white barrel, so a little obtrusive, but hey, the pen wasn't expensive..... :rolleyes:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I will give ANY print a wide berth.. Unless is Agatha Christie or someone cool (to me)... If the nib was to die for, I will buy it and remove the nib. I don't mind scratches, but I don't care for names of people I don't know.

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

My one and only Snorkel is a beautiful black pen and pencil set which appears to have never been used that I picked up for less than $25. I think it was priced low because it was engraved with someone's name.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

I agree there is a generalised negative implication of personalisation on vintage pens. Personally, I've never understood it. Buying an antique, I already know the thing has had a life. A name imprint makes that life personal, human, almost intimate, and the pen, as an object, a signifier of that life. I find that romantic, in a sentimental sense. But, then, my wife and I both wear wedding rings we bought at estate sales. And I find scars of all kinds sexy: marks of a life lived buffeted by the sometimes hard weather of existence.

I don't demand vintage pens be "mint". If they write beautifully, why should I mind being the second or seventeenth owner, even if one of my predecessors left his or her mark. If Hortense Xaviera Huffenstupf, or one of her admirers, had her name engraved on it when she was its possessor, so much the better.

:D

regret I know nothing of the model of pen in question - though looking at ebay examples of this 'toothbrush' pen (is that correct?) it appears that current prices are no small beer, so your layout seems very reasonable, even taking into account the personalization - so I'd say congrats. especially in view of the v.g.c.

Of course, if you only buy to sell on, then previous owner's signatures could affect your potential profit, but if it's a keeper then why worry. I wonder which f.p. pen A.C. used? :)

Several pens in my own collection are personalised and I have done a little digging, in one case finding the obituary and life details of the previous owner, so I have no problem. For pens that I'm reselling, I'd rather have the name left on than a botched job of trying to remove it. I've recently worked on a nice streamlined Duofold with such an ugly flat scar on the barrel. All I could do is try to smooth it out a bit. Someone will get a bargain user grade pen though.

Yes, from a seller point of view a name engraved reduces the value of the pen. The reason IMO is both aesthetic (the pen is less mint) and psychological, not every one would wants to own a pen that is either not engraved or engraved with his own name. It's something that possibly makes you feel the pen is less yours.

I don't look for name engraved pens (I also prefer a mint state) but if it happens I don't mind either, it does make me curious of the previous owner.

I have one pen which has a peculiar engraving though, in the photo below it's the second pen from top

fpn_1537305715__p1140792-3.jpg

you will see the cap is marked "X LUI" which in Italian means "for him", or "his".

Most likely this pen had a twin Lady model (perhaps a Milord, or a Dama, or Extra 1930) also engraved "X LEI"

The pen was bought as mint NOS from a shop in Palermo, for about 100 Euro, before Omas shut down (a very good price by today's quotations, even thought this is a resin pen dating 80's-90's. The nib is a lovely oblique right 14k).

But it does make me wonder...

It's not unusual in Italy, especially down south to buy his/hers engraved pens to be used to sign during wedding ceremonies...

so what happened to LEI?? and why did the shop still have the pen unused? :huh:

Doesn't it make you think that...something happened and they did not marry?? :o

isn't it intriguing? :D

yes, definitely jilted at the altar. :D Think I can see where on the cap the name is, but unfortunately glare from the lights has obliterated the mark. Very nice pens.

Edited by PaulS

I expect to pay 10% less...and in I'm not into selling pens, it don't matter much. It is at worse a place holder that should get you back @ + - what you paid for it.

What is important is what is the nib like....old pens with names on them are normally the better class of pen....vintage.

So one can have a nice regular flex nib. (use to be called regular flex, in it was often regular issue..........semi-flex if German.

Pens were not mostly nails....I'd guess back when folks had enough pride or someone had some pride to have the name professionally engraved on it.

Back in the Day, having your name engraved and with gold letters was a mark of class. One got on on graduation of HS, Collage, an anniversary, or one got one on retirement from the company....back when working a life in a company was often.

Number two, it kept pen collectors from stealing your pen. We did have pen collectors back in the day too. Had I been able to afford that....why I'd not had every years fountain pen and jotter stolen in grade school, Jr. and HS. By the time I got to collage, I was a BP guy, some time in 10th grade..............one did have to keep one's Bic cap in hand, or it too would hide.

Yep, no one engraved a Bic.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I agree there is a generalised negative implication of personalisation on vintage pens. Personally, I've never understood it. Buying an antique, I already know the thing has had a life. A name imprint makes that life personal, human, almost intimate, and the pen, as an object, a signifier of that life. I find that romantic, in a sentimental sense.

:thumbup:

I love them. If I thought I had an otherwise mint, rare specimen it might irk me, but 99.9% of the time, I love them.

leboeuf-40-grandma.jpg

sheaffer_crest-sterling_christmas-1937.j

greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

I have a Geha which is without reasonable prospects of repair. When I realised that was the case, I offered a quiet apology to Wilhelm Rümenapp.

X

What Geha?............in I'm a fan of their piston pens.

What problem....?

Fontainble, can do wonders.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

780. Cracked barrel, retaining ring cracked (broken), no apparent way of removing the piston itself after taking out the rest of the mechanism assuming the other problems could be managed. Nib and cap are in fantastic shape. ;)

X

I love them. If I thought I had an otherwise mint, rare specimen it might irk me, but 99.9% of the time, I love them.

leboeuf-40-grandma.jpg

sheaffer_crest-sterling_christmas-1937.j

greg

These are great!

I actually like inscriptions, especially if they're quirky or unusual. I tend to find these on Esterbrooks more often, as these were cheaper and easy to engrave.

My favorites are a small, white purse pen just marked "Kiwanis Pancake Supper" and my favorite M2 engraved "Old Man Carroll"

Anyone want to get rid of an engraved Estie, just let me know. I may well be interested.

Andrew

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

In my humble opinion, it depends. Obviously, if it was a famous person's pen and has their name or initials on the cap or barrel, that can actually add value, although these would be exceptionally rare. Personally, I don't mind inscriptions if they are done professionally and don't otherwise obscure the beauty of the pen (e.g., too big or poor placement). Two of the more interesting pens in my collection are Wahl Eversharps with inscriptions to platoon leaders from their troops. One has a silver overlay and the dedication is professionally done in a beautiful script. The other has a gold filled or rolled gold overlay and was obviously inscribed by hand by one of the soldiers in the field. I don't know about resale value, but I like them both because they tell a story.