Help - M600 Vs M400 Nib

oregano

I just received a pen that was supposed to have an M600 nib with a different nib width designation, but I believe the vendor put in an M400 nib instead.

I noticed immediately that the nib feels shorter, like an M400. Has anyone ever gotten an M600 nib this small?

It is a tad bigger than my M400, but significantly smaller and not as wide at the shoulders as an M600. The nib measures 20mm,

whereas the M600 measure 22mm. I am just stunned the seller would have put in an M400 instead of an M600 nib, thinking it wouldn't matter,

especially since the pen was very expensive.

Here are the pics. It is the third nib on the picture with L to R: m600, m400, pen in question (m600), m600.

fpn_1537246086__img_0254.jpg

Nib is on the left, vs. M600 on the rightfpn_1537246294__img_0255.jpg

Front of nibs; pen in question on the left, M600 on the right:

fpn_1537246169__img_0256.jpg

Thanks for your help!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oregano

• Kalessin

• jhsd1124013561

• OCArt

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a used M600 off eBay and received it with a nib that seemed smaller than my other 600's. Mine is a fine nib if that matters. I suspected the seller sent me a M400 nib but couldn't prove that it didn't match the auction photos.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

There are two distinct sizes of M600 pen, and two sizes of nib, depending on when it was made, sometimes referred to as "old style" and "new style".

The old style, 1985-1997, was the same size pen as the M400, but had an upgrade to an 18k nib and upgraded trim rings on the cap, section and turning knob. Nibs from the old style are the same size/length as the M400. When Pelikan increased the size of the M600 pen to the "new style" in 1997, the nib was increased in size a little bit to keep the right proportion with the pen, though it is in the same size nib collar.

The Pelikan's Perch website has an excellent explanation of the different styles:

https://thepelikansperch.com/database/fountain-pens/m6xx/m600/

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

Hm! Not sure what you've got, then. It's also true that nibs can be set deeper or less deep in the collars, but it's not usually a big noticeable difference on factory nib units.

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

Hm! Not sure what you've got, then. It's also true that nibs can be set deeper or less deep in the collars, but it's not usually a big noticeable difference on factory nib units.

That's what I initially wondered, but then looked at the pen more closely and other parts (the shoulders) have the proportions of an M400. IN any case, the seller confirmed that it was indeed a mistake and an M400. Back the nib goes! Thankfully I have a ton of M600s so I could tell it was different.

The M400 nib and collar units will fit in an M600 pen body, but the M600 nib is enough longer in the same size collar that there's a good chance it'll hit the inside top of the cap in an M400 body, which does no good for the nib.

After 1997, the M600 was re-designed, previously M600 was a upgraded M400 with same size.

After 1997, M600 is bigger in size, also all the Pelikan line nib design has changed.

This is nib is a post 1997 new design nib, M400 size.

After 1997, the M600 was re-designed, previously M600 was a upgraded M400 with same size.

After 1997, M600 is bigger in size, also all the Pelikan line nib design has changed.

This is nib is a post 1997 new design nib, M400 size.

Thanks, yes, i'm aware of the shift after 1997. It should have been a modern (post 97 new style) M600 nib though.