Brick And Mortar Meccas?

mtbradley

Miguel Angel Pen Shop in downtown Mexico City. Quite impressive inventory of almost all brands. I have seen them offering Montegrappas with Mexican themes exclusively sold at their shop.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mtbradley

• sansenri

• Mulrich

• DasKaltblut

A pretty well known store in Rome comes to mind, probably my favorite in the world for its old school displays, rich assortment of NOS or hard to find models, spare nibs ... is Stilo Fetti. When in Rome, I get caffeinated on granita di caffe at Tazza d'oro and head right over to Fetti ...

http://www.stilofetti.it/gb/

Last summer I stumbled over this quietly confident store in Lucca. A good selection of collectible and new pens, cases, etc. Without fanfare, they were selling an original run Lamy 2000 for about regular list price, and also other older models (some numbered model). Plenty of Pelikans, Deltas etc. The prices are fair, not cheap.

http://www.otticabruno.info/casa_della_penna.php

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

A long way from the original post location but from Brisbane, Queensland in Australia, I am lucky enough to have three dedicated brick and mortar pen stores within a half hour drive.

The Pen Shoppe - modeled on what I think would be an old English store, put me in the corner and let me die there. I'd die a happy man. In the Brisbane CBD.

Pen and Paper - more of a modern shop but still a cracka place to visit and shop, again in the Brisbane CBD.

Pen and Ink - sister shop to Pen and Paper, found on the Gold Coast.

Supporting B&M stores is the only way they will survive.

Greg

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Handwriting - one of life's pure pleasures

Another vote for Laywine's in Toronto. After 42 years of using a single Pelikan 400NN OBB, I contacted Laywines to send my pen to Chartpac . After some time passed I got the bad news, that to fix that wonderful pen would cost me more in CADs than this pen originally cost in the late 60s.

It was at this small pen & paper boutique where I began my next adventure into fountain pens. A Sailor 1911 Standard with an MS nib did not exactly replace my well loved Pelikan piston-filler, but it started me on the journey of collecting Sailor's pens, in this Standard size & price range, then having their quality 14c nibs customized by current, well regarded nib-technicians. I haven't looked back

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Avalon Pens in Zionsville, Indiana (suburb of Indianapolis) home to Private Reserve ink

Unfortunately, Avalon Pens brick and mortar location is closed. I was in the neighborhood early this summer and was surprised to find the store had another retailer in it. I asked around at some of the nearby shops if they had moved, and they thought they had but couldn't say exactly where.

I walked up and down the main drag there and was unable to find it. I asked the postman making his rounds through the neighborhood and he confirmed that they had indeed closed the shop.

My vice is fueled by Danny and his wonderful team at Fook Hing Trading, Bras Basah Complex, Singapore.

http://www.fookhingtrading.com/writing-instruments/#

The variety of pens and inks available is excellent, and every purchase I have made has been dipped, tweaked and dipped again until I was happy - I am going back this weekend to collect my special order of a Pilot Custom Red Urushi and I am sure he will waft other temptations under my nose as usual.

Edited by AGxM

Reid's in Calgary Alberta is a top notch shop. Pens in the back half, quirky party supplies in front. It took me nearly 3 years to actually notice the party supply section.

fpn_1389205880__post_card_exchange_small.png

Apologies if someone has already mentioned it (I did not take the time to read every post in this thread), but I just discovered a Japanese book store near my office called Kinokuniya. They have a stationery section on their lower level that offers a decent variety of mostly Japanese (I spotted some Kawecos) fountain pens, as well as inks (including Iroshizuku) and other pen related items. It's no Fountain Pen Hospital, but could satisfy a sudden urge to pick up a Sailor pen or some ink.

https://usa.kinokuniya.com/stores-kinokuniya-new-york

Apologies if someone has already mentioned it (I did not take the time to read every post in this thread), but I just discovered a Japanese book store near my office called Kinokuniya. They have a stationery section on their lower level that offers a decent variety of mostly Japanese (I spotted some Kawecos) fountain pens, as well as inks (including Iroshizuku) and other pen related items. It's no Fountain Pen Hospital, but could satisfy a sudden urge to pick up a Sailor pen or some ink.

https://usa.kinokuniya.com/stores-kinokuniya-new-york

Sorry, I should have specified that this is in New York City. There are surprisingly few brick and mortar options here, especially after Art Brown closed some years ago.

Unfortunately, Avalon Pens brick and mortar location is closed. I was in the neighborhood early this summer and was surprised to find the store had another retailer in it. I asked around at some of the nearby shops if they had moved, and they thought they had but couldn't say exactly where.

I walked up and down the main drag there and was unable to find it. I asked the postman making his rounds through the neighborhood and he confirmed that they had indeed closed the shop.

Maybe try Private Reserve Ink and Pen Shop, 68 N. 1st Street, in Zionsville. (317) 733-1970

The PR website is being renovated, but here is their Facebook spot. It includes a video talk with the new owners of PR Ink. I think I remember their saying that they have moved the store into the same building that houses the PR warehouse.

https://www.facebook.com/privatereserveink/

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so happy I stumbled on this topic. I was passing through Atlanta and Chattanooga last week and was able to stop at two great pen shops. ("Great" may be a bit much, but I don't have much to compare them to...yet.)

Artlite on the north side of Atlanta was really cool, and had a good selection of pens, paper, and other accessories. The demo case is really great, with plenty of pens to dip and try out, including several Pelicans. They have some items on clearance now, including some nice A5-ish leather notebook covers for under $17 (good quality leather; seemed like thick, full-grain rather than the cheap bonded stuff) and both small and very small Leuchtturm notebooks for under $6 (I bought two).

Joe Rodgers Office Supply in Cleveland, TN (about 25 minutes east of Chattanooga) looked like a mom-and-pop shop from 50 years ago. It has nearly as many pens as Artlite and they sold everything for 30% off retail. The owner chatted with me for a good 20 minutes or more about pens and how things have changed in the market over time. He is son or grandson of the original owner. Really nice guy. I would definitely stop back in or order from him over the phone given his prices and the sense I got about his customer service.

I'm going to be in NYC in two weeks, so I will definitely stop by the Fountain Pen Hospital, the Lamy store in SoHo, and Kinokuniya.

I'm sorry to say that in Denver, we don't have much besides a Montblanc boutique and Meininger Art Supply. Meininger is a great all-around shop, but the FP selection is fairly limited.

Lamy Safari (f), Pilot MR (f), Kaweco Ice Sport (f), Lamy Aion (f), Parker 75 Ciselé (65), Platinum 3776 (m), Lamy 2000 (f), Kaweco AL Sport (f), Montblanc 146 (m)

I'm sorry to say that in Denver, we don't have much besides a Montblanc boutique and Meininger Art Supply. Meininger is a great all-around shop, but the FP selection is fairly limited.

Guirys on South Colorado Blvd is known to have a selection of fountain pens, their other locations might have a few bottles of ink, but generally possess a great art supply and house paint selection sans pens!

Edited by JakobS

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

yes of course, when in Rome you must visit Novelli.

But another place you can't miss is Corsani.

Corsani is one of the most active shops in Italy in developing LE versions for his own shop in collaboration with some of the pen manufacturers (Visconti, Delta, Stipula, Leonardo).

This is one of his Corsani Fantasia (which is essentially a Delta The Journal, but in celluloid!)

fpn_1542450218__p1110990-30.jpg

If you are in Athens you cannot miss Mr. Evangelidis pen shop.

The address is Kolokotroni 3, Athens, 10562, ATTICA.

Mr Evangelidis is a collector himself and has a fantastic collection from which he does sell some vintage pens.

The shop is wonderful with lots of show cases. Last time I visited I bought a Parker Centennial Jade.

There has been talk of his shop possibly closing down but a Greek friend of mine was there this October and told me Mr. Evangelidis is fine and still working.

Edited by sansenri