• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mtbradley

• sansenri

• Mulrich

• DasKaltblut

Akkermans in Amsterdam was pretty stinking impressive. Have to go to the store in The Hague to get their ink though.

+1 on Papier Plume in NOLA

I havent been there but also the Fountain Pen Store in Monrovia CA (near LA)

Fountain Pen Store in Monrovia ( suburb of LA)

Flax Pen to Paper in Westwood ( near UCLA campus).

Each is different, each is great. Fred at FPS and Joan and Philip at Flax are very knowledgeable, reputable, and extremely customer friendly. The stores are very different, but both stores are worth the trip if you're in LA. Been going to both since the 70's !

+1 on Papier Plume in New Orleans. Been there several times and the people are great...When in Houston, go to Dromgooles

Thanks! I've been watching your ebay account. Some excellent items!

Currently: Sailor Pro Gear Black/Rhodium M/F with Sailor Jentle Black; Sailor Pro Gear Yellow/Rhodium M/F with Diamine Sargasso Sea; Sailor Pro Gear Slim Sky Demonstrator/Rhodium M with Sailor Jentle Blue; Sailor Pro Gear Apres Ski M with Robert Oster Grey Seas; Sheaffer Touchdown Imperial VIII M with Diamine Asa Blue; Lamy AL-star Ocean Blue M with Private Reserve DC Supershow Blue; Lamy Safari Red F with Sheaffer Skrip Red for grading papers; Lamy Safari Neon Yellow F with Diamine Kelly Green; Esterbrook J Blue 9668 with Noodlers Ottoman Azure; Esterbrook J Red 9668 with Diamine Red Dragon; Esterbrook J Copper 2668 with Diamine Ancient Copper; Esterbrook J Gray 9668 with Robert Oster Stormy Seas; TWSBI Vac700R M with Robert Oster Grey Seas; Noodler's Ahab Clear Demonstrator M with Diamine Midnight; Kaweco Skyline Sport M with Diamine Grey; Faber-Castell Goldfaber 1221 HB and Tombow Mono HB

"Reading maketh a full man; conference a ready man; and writing an exact man." Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Is there a time limit on editing posts? I went to edit the OP to add the new recommendations and I can't find the edit button. I'm logged in (obviously). Is it possible for a moderator to give me back my edit button? :)

Currently: Sailor Pro Gear Black/Rhodium M/F with Sailor Jentle Black; Sailor Pro Gear Yellow/Rhodium M/F with Diamine Sargasso Sea; Sailor Pro Gear Slim Sky Demonstrator/Rhodium M with Sailor Jentle Blue; Sailor Pro Gear Apres Ski M with Robert Oster Grey Seas; Sheaffer Touchdown Imperial VIII M with Diamine Asa Blue; Lamy AL-star Ocean Blue M with Private Reserve DC Supershow Blue; Lamy Safari Red F with Sheaffer Skrip Red for grading papers; Lamy Safari Neon Yellow F with Diamine Kelly Green; Esterbrook J Blue 9668 with Noodlers Ottoman Azure; Esterbrook J Red 9668 with Diamine Red Dragon; Esterbrook J Copper 2668 with Diamine Ancient Copper; Esterbrook J Gray 9668 with Robert Oster Stormy Seas; TWSBI Vac700R M with Robert Oster Grey Seas; Noodler's Ahab Clear Demonstrator M with Diamine Midnight; Kaweco Skyline Sport M with Diamine Grey; Faber-Castell Goldfaber 1221 HB and Tombow Mono HB

"Reading maketh a full man; conference a ready man; and writing an exact man." Francis Bacon, Of Studies

In the meantime, here is a list of the stores mentioned so far...

Kingman, Arizona

Pendemonium

Little Rock, Arkansas

Vanness Pen Shop

Los Angeles, California

Fountain Pen Store (Monrovia)

Flax Pen to Paper (Westwood)

San Francisco, California

Castle in the Air (Berkeley)

Payns Stationery (Berkeley)

Flax Art and Design (Oakland)

Atlanta, Georgia

Artlite

Chicago, Illinois

Anderson Pen

New Orleans, Louisiana

Papier Plume

Boston, Massachusetts

Bromfield Pen Shop

New York, New York

Fountain Pen Hospital

Houston, Texas

Dromgooles

Washington, DC

Fahrney's

Bertram's Ink Well (North Bethesda, MD)

Appleton, WI

Anderson Pens

International...

Canada

Wonder Pens (Toronto)

Vancouver Pen Shop (Vancouver)

France

Mora Stylos (Paris)

Italy

Ercolessi (Milano)

La Stilografica (Milano)

Netherlands

Akkerman (Amsterdam)

Akkerman (The Hague)

Japan

Itoya, 3rd Floor (Ginza)

Edited by mtbradley

In Tokyo, the mecca of stationery meccas, you have many choices. Itoya is an entire building with another annex building.

This place looks amazing! Makes me want to visit Tokyo! This page gives a quick tour of the place... https://livejapan.com/en/in-ginza/article-a0001536/

Excellent resource, Mulrich! Thanks!

I know that Goulet has a physical location but do they sell out of it?

They do not. In the tour of their new offices they state they don't have the parking to allow customers to visit.

Fountain Pen Store in Monrovia ( suburb of LA)

Flax Pen to Paper in Westwood ( near UCLA campus).

Each is different, each is great. Fred at FPS and Joan and Philip at Flax are very knowledgeable, reputable, and extremely customer friendly. The stores are very different, but both stores are worth the trip if you're in LA. Been going to both since the 70's !

On a visit to SoCal years ago was a small shop that carried a lot of vintage pens. Is that FPS? It seemed like it was in Monrovia...

Laywine's in Toronto, Ontario Canada - small selection pens, nice selection of ink and paper

I believe Pendemonium operates online, but they sell out of an antiques shop in Kingman ("Time Was Antiques" i think)

Pen Place in Kansas City

Lamy has a store in San Francisco

Avalon Pens in Zionsville, Indiana (suburb of Indianapolis) home to Private Reserve ink

Sante Fe Pens in Sante Fe, New Mexico

Appointments in Cincinnati, OH

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

I was in Europe in August and stumbled upon Ackerman when I visited The Hague. Got a Preppy for 5 EUR and a bunch of felt-tipped pens for my daughter.

I was also in Rome and Florence and, (bleep), I can't believe I didn't think of looking up stores. I guess I was having enough fun as it was, although I kept nagging my wife to take a detour to Torino and visit Aurora's factory, but she wouldn't budge, though ;-)

Alex

---------------------------------------------------------

We use our phones more than our pens.....

and the world is a worse place for it. - markh

I was in Europe in August and stumbled upon Ackerman when I visited The Hague. Got a Preppy for 5 EUR and a bunch of felt-tipped pens for my daughter.

I was also in Rome and Florence and, (bleep), I can't believe I didn't think of looking up stores. I guess I was having enough fun as it was, although I kept nagging my wife to take a detour to Torino and visit Aurora's factory, but she wouldn't budge, though ;-)

Alex

You went to Akkerman and all you got was a Preppy??? I'm fainting dead away right now. :D

Bittner in Carmel by the Sea, Californa. They are the only place I know for quality pens in Northern California. Tell them Alan sent you. They'll know who you mean.

They also have an inside pipeline to Mike Masuyama. While he's quoting a month or more for individuals, he gives a week or two response to Bittner. So when I need his services, I let Bittner send it to him.

Alan

Edited by Precise

Penny Post in Old Alexandria,VA. Decent selection of pens, inks, pencils, nibholders, and a large selection of paper.

I didn't have much time, but left with a Kaweco Perkeo, a nice nibholder, and some dark brown cartrdges.

Very helpful staff. I really enjoyed my visit.

In the Netherlands, in addition to Akkerman in den Haag, there are Appelboom in Laren, Fontoplumo in Delft, and La Couronne du Comte in Tilburg. There is a second Akkerman store, I believe no longer financially related to PW Akkerman in den Haag, on Langebrugsteeg in Amsterdam; it's more like a gift shop in the main shopping area. IIRC they didn't stock Akkerman inks, but I may be wrong. Also, Penworld in Antwerp, Belguim.

I'm planning on re-visiting Akkerman and getting to Fontoplumo and Penworld in my still-on-the-drawing-board northern Europe swing with my daughter next summer.

Tim

Edited by tmenyc

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

Pen & Pad in Albuquerque, New Mexico also sells fountain pens, inks and papers - and has a small but nice collection.

Oh, I forgot them. And I'll be in ABQ next month!

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway