M800 Stone Garden

BillH

This is one of the colours I really cannot say whether I like it or not.

It is not ugly, but it is not a must-have pen for me either. I'm sure it will look very different in nature. Like the Ocean swirl.

If I had to choose between this and the orange M600 I'd take the latter. If I had to choose between this and the Ocean Swirl I'd probably take this.

I agree with these choices. I ordered the orange M600 instantly. This one I'm waiting to see.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1nkulus

• BillH

• Glenn-SC

• sansenri

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I read here of concern that the pen will not live up to the published photos. Has Pelikan launched new pens with photos that do not fairly represent them? Is Pelikan capable of displaying a dazzling published face which turns out to be visible from just one angle? I note moreover that I've never seen such deep and shimmering color in arrangements of stones. It is more evocative of an autumn-hued aurora borealis.

Edited by jpelham

Pelikan's ad photos are sometimes, some would say "always", a bit different than the pen in hand. In their defense, and only to my eye/opinion, they run about 50/50 better than ad showed. The first that comes to mind is the 800 stripey from earlier this year... much better in person than in photos. And the first that was different and not what was expected was the Ocean Swirl... many were put off to find that the pattern did not run evenly around the barrel and there were dark bands that the ad pics didn't really show. After awhile you learn to reserve judgment until the "in hand" photos start showing up.

And welcome! :W2FPN:

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

By the way, who ever lays expensive resin pens on jagged rocks?

Marketing departments. After two or three strong drinks at lunchtime.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

More like "Stoned in the Garden with M800"

No need to be brutally honest. :lol:

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

As seen on the Instagram feed of @pengallery:

qV1UqNY.png

The picture seems blown out, so I am not sure whether or not to be disappointed by how garish the colors of the binde, and the level of contrast, appear here.

I still love me some deep blue, however. :)

(I join with others in knowing that a 600-series pen with these appointments would likely catalyze my Wanter.)

~ S.

Edited by Spelikan

...snip...

The picture seems blown out, so I am not sure whether or not to be disappointed by how garish the colors of the binde, and the level of contrast, appear here.

...snip...

Oh, I do hope you're right. Hopefully it's from a digital camera stuck on "VIVID", or maybe a new Photoshop user with a terrible slider addiction? :lol:

Oh, no! I'm afraid that that mix of colors and the kind of marble will not be to my liking, no matter how blown that picture is!!

Now I wish I hadn't preordered this one :unsure:

And the first person to make a Boise State Broncos reference... :angry:

I wonder if it's the same material as the one Montegrappa and Omas have used, only Pelikan has gone one step,further and sliced the material. I like the idea but it looks a little more obvious than I would have imagined it should. The colors of this pen are so me, it's a shame it's in the m800 size! It's also a pretty serious pen, and would have looked less serious in a smaller size, imo.

Edited by oregano

And the first person to make a Boise State Broncos reference... :angry:

I'm guessing that has something to do with team colours?... I had to Google it because it was too arcane for this Aussie.

Glenn.

I'm guessing that has something to do with team colours?... I had to Google it because it was too arcane for this Aussie.

Glenn.

Glenn, I'll bet it didn't mean anything to 99% of the rest of the folks either :lol: but in this tiny part of the world bright blue and glaring orange give even the Fall leaves a run for attention these days.

As seen on the Instagram feed of @pengallery:

qV1UqNY.png

I still love me some deep blue, however. :)

(I join with others in knowing that a 600-series pen with these appointments would likely catalyze my Wanter.)

~ S.

This really looks gorgeous. I think I'm gonna buy one. Sorry wallet...

Mine arrived yesterday!

If anyone was at all worried by how it might look, of course it is a thing of beauty - and (I can hardly believe I'm writing this for a second time, straight after the Olivine) the most accurate picture to go by is the Pelikan render or whatever it is at the top of the thread.

The blue is a straight up regular dark blue, rich and quite noticeably blue, unlike Pelikan's dark brown resin which sometimes looks black. It's also a blue that thrifty Pelikan have used before - if you have an old blue / black M250 or a blue M100, it's that one.

The pattern on the binde, when you look closely , is made from thin strips of blue/black/brown (Grand Place brown, btw) acetate laid diagonally round the barrel and arranged in such a way as to give the impression of a random pattern . The M101 Red Tortoise is similarly constructed - all straight lines, but it doesn't look it! The effect reminds me of the brushstrokes in a Cezanne painting. There is a straight seam which runs the length of the binde (there has to be) but it is really not visible except with a loupe, so nothing to worry about.

My EF nib is sensationally good, as all the EF nibs have been recently. I didn't pay a surcharge, but it really does seem as if they are making an effort. I may put a few photographs up over the weekend if I get time, but really Pelikan's promo pic is a good guide.

John

Ah, they're shipping! And so glad to hear the colors don't look as garish as that Instagram photo. I'm again looking forward to this one. Thanks John!

You're welcome, Bill!

Yes, nobody will be disappointed in any way by this one (except for the price).

John

The contrast in the materials is incredible, the promotion image was very misleading, not a smart marketing move by Pelikan.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

Looking forward to my preorder as well. Pelikan needs to hire a proper photographer, not just pull Hans off the line and give him a point and shoot to take pics of new product.