The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sailor To Discontinue/replace Current Naginata Line?

sailor naginata discontinue

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 paulliao99

paulliao99

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 September 2018 - 08:12

Thanks for posting this. I can't read it. Is there any news about KOP size nibs?

Hi Zaddick...sorry about that...I attached it mainly to show the prices...no...nothing mentioned about KOP nibs...I think they're considered just Oversized and not specialty nibs since they do not take any special handling to make?  

Sponsored Content

#22 Ronderick

Ronderick

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2018 - 01:28

Yep.... definitely the ink replacement scheme all over again, with the cheapest price starting at 50,000 yen (500 bucks).

To make matters more interesting: 首軸はオリジナルペン先シリーズの専用サイズ

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that there's a change with the grip part. So does that mean the nib is no longer interchangeable with other PF and PG line pens?

#23 Pen_Padawan

Pen_Padawan

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2018 - 02:21

I hope there is a larger converter with the new pen and nibs.🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

#24 Pen_Padawan

Pen_Padawan

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2018 - 02:23

This is extremely good marketing, right after the Pilot anniversary announcements, now Im really confused on what to buy next!

#25 minddance

minddance

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 02:35

I hope there is a larger converter with the new pen and nibs.🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

+1

These nibs go through ink quite fast eh? A larger convertor or better still, a piston, is very much welcomed.

#26 zchen

zchen

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2018 - 02:37

At least we can get the cross point nibs again. I have all the Naginata I need, but need cross points.

#27 25_15_3

25_15_3

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 05:07

Yep.... definitely the ink replacement scheme all over again, with the cheapest price starting at 50,000 yen (500 bucks).

To make matters more interesting: 首軸はオリジナルペン先シリーズの専用サイズ

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that there's a change with the grip part. So does that mean the nib is no longer interchangeable with other PF and PG line pens?

That's what I'm reading also. Not sure on your question since the pens aren't available yet but it seems very, very possible.

#28 Brian Anderson

Brian Anderson

Esterbrook Nut

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,337 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2018 - 21:35

I saw these pens in person a couple of weeks ago when we visited with President Hisa. I'm not allowed to say anything just yet, as there has yet to be confirmed pricing in the US. Suffice it to say I will be carrying these so stay tuned for more details.

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

#29 Ppsystem

Ppsystem

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2018 - 15:40

Last year I visited the Sailor factory at Kure. And Mr Nagahara was there working and making special nibs.
Also he introduced us three more people that he was supervising. I think that we won't have again a failure in the production.
The prices... market will talk.
www.inktraveler.com

#30 Mulrich

Mulrich

Modern Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 1,656 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 21:50

Last year I visited the Sailor factory at Kure. And Mr Nagahara was there working and making special nibs.
Also he introduced us three more people that he was supervising. I think that we won't have again a failure in the production.
The prices... market will talk.

So they are working to dramatically increase supply, which makes it all the more confusing why their dramatically increasing their prices. I understand demand is high, but I think they're getting ahead of themselves.

#31 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,452 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 October 2018 - 01:36

So they are working to dramatically increase supply, which makes it all the more confusing why their dramatically increasing their prices. I understand demand is high, but I think they're getting ahead of themselves.

You said it yourself: demand is high. That's as good a reason as any for increasing the price of a (class of) product in a rational, capitalist marketplace in which supply is effectively a monopoly and the sentiments of individual (prospective) customers are treated with due regard, i.e. not so important to business results at a macro level.

I don't like it as a consumer, but just like you, I am nobody to Sailor in the big picture.

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#32 mke

mke

Read my lips: No more (pens/inks/paper)

• Member - Gold

• 2,199 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 02:09

Never used one of these nibs. Are they so special in writing (not in looking at)?

#33 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• 3,452 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 October 2018 - 02:40

Never used one of these nibs. Are they so special in writing (not in looking at)?

I own two – a Naginata Concord (NK), and a Naginata Concord Emperor (NKE) – but have only used the former of those so far; the latter is still in a pen that is factory-sealed in a plastic sleeve. It's certainly well-made, and an interesting nib with which to write; and, yes, it is special in the sense the user can get different writing outcomes from it. That doesn't necessarily mean that one couldn't get similar results from, say, a Sailor Zoom nib, or a custom/architect's grind, etc. depending on what the user actually wants.

Some of my writing samples with:

• Naginata Concord nib: here, here and here

• Sailor Zoom nib: here and here

The range of line widths with brush-like strokes that one can get out of the Naginata Concord nib is wider than that from a Zoom nib. On the other hand, for cursive writing in English, I think a user is more likely to get the desired manner of line variation.

Sailor has some cheap pen models with Fude de Mannen nibs (which is essentially an upside-down Concord nib, but I find the design of the Concord nib more suitable for my purposes), and there are also Naginata Fude de Mannen nibs, but of course the build quality in the cheaper ones are not nearly in the same league; that I can tell you from first-hand experience. I also have a Duke pen with a Fude nib, and it doesn't even write properly upside-down to lay down a fine line consistently.

I don't know about Naginata Togi nibs, as I don't have one and never used one.

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#34 mke

mke

Read my lips: No more (pens/inks/paper)

• Member - Gold

• 2,199 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 02:52

This is educating and interesting - your samples show clearly what is possible with these nibs. :thumbup:

Thank you, but nothing for me. Hurray, that saved me a lot of money which I will throw out otherwise (there are still several entries on my wishlist). 

#35 Mulrich

Mulrich

Modern Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 1,656 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 03:35

You said it yourself: demand is high. That's as good a reason as any for increasing the price of a (class of) product in a rational, capitalist marketplace in which supply is effectively a monopoly and the sentiments of individual (prospective) customers are treated with due regard, i.e. not so important to business results at a macro level.

I don't like it as a consumer, but just like you, I am nobody to Sailor in the big picture.

They would know their supply and demand curve better than me, but it sounds like they could triple their supply. Demand was outpacing the previous supply but I would be surprised if that outpacing warrants such a big price jump, especially once they start faster production.

#36 Ronderick

Ronderick

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 October 2018 - 03:05

OK, looks like the revamped special nib info page is back at Sailor's website:

http://www.sailor.co.jp/lineup/specialnib?fbclid=IwAR1D_cGlxbNnQeUpYu9QFQIx_qpHj0Fj2JuJfYYQ6IKraJagbIYImtZkjwA 

#37 freakman

freakman

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 October 2018 - 05:38

The new Sailor special nib has the same feeder and same nib shape. So it's fully interchangeable with older ones.Or at least it's the case for Cross, Cross Music and NM nib.

#38 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• 3,452 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 October 2018 - 05:59

I'm surprised there seems to be no more Cross*Emperor or King Eagle.

#39 Pen_Padawan

Pen_Padawan

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 November 2018 - 15:16

Sailor new Naginata nibs available for review at Itoya.

Attached Images

• Sailor set.jpg

#40 The-Thinker

The-Thinker

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2020 - 00:37

Will sailor ever make the King Eagle nib again?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sailor, naginata, discontinue

Sponsored Content

|