Please Help With Waterman Converters...

by78

Dear fellow Waterman owners,

I purchased a new Carene in the past year, and the included converter was defective upon arrival. The black plastic mouth of the converter had developed a crack that prevents a full draw; ink would leak into the metal section, making a horrible mess. I got a replacement converter, and it too developed the same crack after only weeks of use. Upon closer inspection, the plastic used for the mouth is of very low quality: soft, almost the same softness as you would find on a throwaway cartridge.

So instead of ordering another replacement, I wonder if there are more durable converters out there that can fit a Carene purchased new within the past 12 months, whether it be a different Waterman converter design or one from another manufacturer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks in advance.

Edited by by78

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• by78

• Left FPN

• Party4one

• BaronWulfraed

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmmm, I'd have thought a soft plastic would be /less/ likely to develop cracks.

Have you examined the nipple in the pen for some flaw that might be deforming converters?

The faulty converters are Waterman's current model, the S0112881, which has been the cause of many Carene users leaking issues.

To have 2 units split I would do as BaronWulfraed says, check inside the sections loading bay for any nipple issues.

The plastic is supposed to have some softness to be able to seal.

The linked converter you suggest buying is, I suspect, an old picture. If you look at the other pictures that seller uploaded you will see the S0112881 which is most probably what you will get. Be very wary of any seller showing early, metal collared, converters in their adverts.

There are NOS and used old style, metal collared, converters listed on the greatest auction site in the world, but they are not cheap because the postage is expensive. The other option is to buy a lesser pen that has an older style converter, and then sell the pen on less its converter.

If you see a cheap pen listed, with poor or few pictures, always ask what is inside the barrel.

I examined the section carefully, but I see no construction flaw or feature that could damage the converter. That said, the section is entirely metal, which might be the reason why it damages the plastic so easily.

Edited by by78

talking of expensive Waterman converters, there is one of the old metal threaded Waterman converters now on Amazon selling for 92 (yes, ninety two) Euro! :yikes:

Edited by sansenri

I examined the section carefully, but I see no construction flaw or feature that could damage the converter. That said, the section is entirely metal, which might be the reason why it damages the plastic so easily.

Yes, the external shell is brass and acts as a guide only. The internal parts that penetrate and seal on the converter are plastic.

post-42786-0-79850700-1537246366_thumb.jpg

Well, if you can't get a proper Waterman converter, try a Standard International one.

The mouth/nipple should fit, but the screw end might get stuck in the barrel because Waterman often places an internal ring in the barrel, just wide enough to contain the Waterman cartridges and converter but just a tad too narrow for SOME SI ones.

Usually you can fit a short SI, but NEVER try to ride one piggyback as you will probably never get it out again.

So just take a Pelikan or Faber Castell or similar converter and drop it with the screw end in the barrel. If it fits easily you will be fine. If it's tight forget it, as you will empty the converter on screwing the barrel on the section.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Thank you all for your very helpful suggestions. I will be getting a standard international converter. From the photos I've seen, its lip is considerably more robust.

Make sure you get one someplace where you can try before you buy. I'm running into a similar issue with a 1980s-90s Waterman Exclusive which I picked up recently. Tried several different converters at the Bob Slate's table at the Commonwealth Pen Show and none of them fit quite right. And I was just reading another thread about how "international Standard" converters aren't quite as standard as you'd think: the hole is the same diameter, but the converters themselves can be loose in their connection to the feed. :-( (Apparently, from what some people were saying, it's less of an issue when you're using International Standard cartridges....)

A converter which actually FITS is now on the top of my shopping list for the Ohio Pen Show in November (I'm hoping that since it's a much bigger show than Commonwealth there will be more dealers with converters for me to try).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 2 years later...

New here, not sure where to post this, I own a couple of Waterman pens and purchased converters from Amazon one about 2 years ago and a second last year. I use Pilot Iroshizuku ink and had no problems for 18 months, when my first one started leaking. after taking the pen home to clean and troubleshoot (it normally sits on my desk in the box if I'm not actively using it) I checked the converter and the clear plastic section was completely cracked and leaking. Has anyone else had this issue? I fill the reservoir through the nib and only remove the converter for cleaning if I change colours. I'm fairly annoyed, as the converter sells for around $20 Canadian compared to  around $7 for a universal one.

converter1.jpg

converter2.jpg

Perhaps it's just happenstance, but I've had to replace Waterman converters twice in one year in my Phileas pens. I put in new ones in December of 2019 and again in September and October of 2020 for leaks. The old ones lasted well-over 10 years.

Mine weren't cracked but the rubber seal was out-of-whack.

As far as I know the replacements were genuine Waterman 'made.'

'We live in times where smart people must be silenced so stupid people won't be offended."

Clip from Ricky Gervais' new Netflix Special

My cheap Jinhao came with converters, for about $5 per pen with the converters included, and are still working perfectly after 5 years. unfortunately the converters don't fit the Waterman pens.

• 2 months later...

I'm sorry to read about your travails. I have several Waterman converters and fortunately never had any problems.

Though the nozzle is 'international standard' size, not all international standard converters fit Watermans, because the other end is too wide (e.g., on Schmidt or Pelikan converters). However, you could try other ones that are more slender, e.g. Monteverde.

In current use: Cleo Skribent Classic, Waterman Expert, Diplomat Excellence, Pineider Avatar, Sheaffer Targa (the good old Sheaffer, not one Made in China)

I have had a few of the newer style waterman converters split at the mouth. I haven't seen one shatter like above though.

The only solution I have found is to chase down the metal reinforced converters. I bought a bunch from fleabay a while back.