I Adore Pelikan Pens, But …

ibrahim

I adore Pelikan pens, but I wish that the grip section was larger. It seems a bit small on my Pelikan Soverain M 600. I love for a pen to have a comfortable, ergonomic grip section. Of course I wish the cap also was a slip on cap, no screws. What is a Pelikan pen you can go to, slip off the cap and write for hours, so much so that the feels part of your hand? Is there such a pen? What are your thoughts? Millions of thanks to you all for participating.

Ibrahim

"I am human, and I think nothing human is alien to me." Terence

I share the humanity of people, I’m like the rest of everybody and certainly I’m not better or higher than anybody in anything, regardless of what they believe in or don’t believe in. What they experience is certainly not alien to me. I’m part of all people and they are part of me, interbeing, that is.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ibrahim

• chromantic

• Glenn-SC

• sirgilbert357

I adore Pelikan pens, but I wish that the grip section was larger. It seems a bit small on my Pelikan Soverain M 600. I love for a pen to have a comfortable, ergonomic grip section. Of course I wish the cap also was a slip on cap, no screws. What is a Pelikan pen you can go to, slip off the cap and write for hours, so much so that the feels part of your hand? Is there such a pen? What are your thoughts? Millions of thanks to you all for participating.

Ibrahim

M75 GO...........That's your ticket......................

Fred

.....need me a triple shot of that juice................. ..................... .........................

.................... ........................................ ...................................... .................

It's actually not the only problem. I love my Pelikans, but I find that I cannot put them in my shirt pocket because they tend to loosen and the cap disengages from the body. It's left many messes and so I only take my Pelikans out for short rides in my shirt or suit.

So - your comment about the cap works for me, as that is where I see the only weakness in an otherwise marvelous pen brand.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Sailor King of Pens "M" nib running Van Dieman's Heemskerch and Zeehaen

M75 GO...........That's your ticket......................

Fred

.....need me a triple shot of that juice................. ..................... .........................

.................... ........................................ ...................................... .................

Very interesting! Would love to buy me one. I ordered one just now from eBay.

I was happy to read the bio of the pen written by the Pelikan expert and genius Josh here

https://thepelikansperch.com/database/fountain-pens/m75-go/

Edited by ibrahim

I share the humanity of people, I’m like the rest of everybody and certainly I’m not better or higher than anybody in anything, regardless of what they believe in or don’t believe in. What they experience is certainly not alien to me. I’m part of all people and they are part of me, interbeing, that is.

It's actually not the only problem. I love my Pelikans, but I find that I cannot put them in my shirt pocket because they tend to loosen and the cap disengages from the body. It's left many messes and so I only take my Pelikans out for short rides in my shirt or suit.

So - your comment about the cap works for me, as that is where I see the only weakness in an otherwise marvelous pen brand.

Erick

Interesting. I exclusively carry Pelikan's around in my shirt pocket and do so every day at work. I have yet to have a cap come loose or disengage in all my years of doing so. Not doubting you, just sharing a very different experience.

To the original poster, what you're looking for cannot be found in Pelikan's Classic or Souverän lines. Might I suggest that you have a look at the Pelikano Up. Its a slip fit cap with an ergonomic grip. May be just what you're looking for.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I find a 600 to be pleasantly thick. I don't use the 10-2-6 death grip tripod with the deadly kung fu thumb pinch, but the 'forefinger up' method of grasping a pen so have no problems with thin, or thick pens.

It is also an automatic light grip that takes three minutes to learn to use....not the months of constant effort at learning to grab a pen lighter the Tripod need.

Removes ham fistedness in three minutes.

Lamy Al Star And Safari Writing Smoothness Vs Other Pens

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

To the original poster, what you're looking for cannot be found in Pelikan's Classic or Souverän lines. Might I suggest that you have a look at the Pelikano Up. Its a slip fit cap with an ergonomic grip. May be just what you're looking for.

Thank you so much for your input.

Erick

In a shirt pocket I rarely if ever have this problem with my Pelikan's. (120 M&K, 140, M200 (Cognac, Blue Marbled, Brown Marbled) and M150.) I have had something similar in a inside suit pocket, but not just with Pelikan's.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I only recall one pen that tends to unscrew on its own -- my second most expensive (it would have been a tie, but the other pen was charged shipping). That's the Platinum Urushi President.

OTOH -- since around 1980 I've always carried the pens in one or another leather case, with the entire case being placed in my pocket (and the previous decade had me using cheap plastic pocket protectors in school). The Platinum is kept in its cloth bag, and not one of the leather cases, so that may contribute to the behavior.

There's a whole raft of them, everything from Pelikano and all-plastic Pelikan school/budget pens to fancier Ventari, Celebry and others.

Here's some that showed up in a random search on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=pelikan+p467&_sacat=0

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Hmmm... slip cap, larger than a M600, ergonomic grip >> I know you may have doubts but the Pelicano Junior is that pen. The barrel is near a M800 size and though it is a humble school pen it is a very nice writer. If I were able to put aesthetics aside it would be one of my favorite Pelikans!

41rOqs-igdL.jpg

Ibrahim

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

I have a few Pelikans, more than a dozen probably less than two dozen, and only one has a cap which I cannot trust. I also have a couple which have the 'click' cap. I don't know why that didn't become a permanent feature, I really like it. A topic for a post Sargetalon?

The P450 has one of the most air-tight slip-on caps I've encountered. I have one inked with GvFC Deep Sea Green and another with 4001 Pink, and no matter how long they sit unused they write instantly with the first stroke. That may be partially down to the ink (OS Nitrogen didn't fare so well) but I think it's more down to the design.

The P460, which I find much more attractive, isn't so lucky - it needs to be used daily or the feed will dry out. :(

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

For many years my main pens were an M600 and an M800.The M600 felt a bit small in my hand and the cap came regularly off in my shirt pocket but the semiflex nib was glorious. The M800 was a perfect size for me (still a benchmark). As for the threaded cap, it somehow fits writing with a fountain pen: relaxed and deliberate. For intermittent note taking, a Pilot Capless is best but sitting at your desk to fill a page with a Pelikan deserves better organization, including a place where you can leave the pen safely, often with the nib and section shoved in the unscrewed cap while you take a short break.

I don't use the 10-2-6 death grip tripod with the deadly kung fu thumb pinch, but the 'forefinger up' method of grasping a pen so have no problems with thin, or thick pens.

IMHO this is BS.

"Don't change your shoes, change the way you walk!"

That's wrong.

If a pen doesn't work for the way YOU hold a pen, change the pen, because it is wrong FOR YOU.

That doesn't make either the pen or you "wrong", just not right for each other.

And never let some "Expert" who has never met you tell you that the you do something is wrong because it doesn't fit their view of the world.

IMHO this is BS.

"Don't change your shoes, change the way you walk!"

That's wrong.

If a pen doesn't work for the way YOU hold a pen, change the pen, because it is wrong FOR YOU.

That doesn't make either the pen or you "wrong", just not right for each other.

And never let some "Expert" who has never met you tell you that the you do something is wrong because it doesn't fit their view of the world.

I see your point that you should first and foremost pick a pen that suits you, especially given that they are luxury items. I would not attack Bo Bo Olson so strongly. I do not know what he means by a "10-2-6 death grip", and his choice of words indicates that he thinks he is more right than others. However, I think there is value in considering if your grip is good or not. Most of us have (unconscious) bad habits of posture. Look at people on the street: many of them walk strangely and should definitely change their style of walking (and maybe shoes also). This, I think, applies equally to the way you hold your pen. If you do not write much, this is mostly irrelevant, but if you are going to get into luxury pens and write much, it could be detrimental to have an incorrect grip. I'm not saying that there is a unique "correct" grip, but surely there are bad ones, and you should think if you could change your habits for the better.

his choice of words indicates that he thinks he is more right than others

There is a difference between "belief" and "truth."

If you do not write much, this is mostly irrelevant, but if you are going to get into luxury pens and write much, it could be detrimental to have an incorrect grip. I'm not saying that there is a unique "correct" grip, but surely there are bad ones, and you should think if you could change your habits for the better.

Please explain what is the nature of "luxury pens" that demands a different "correct" grip? (Or to use your double-negative of being "detrimental to have an incorrect grip".)

Please explain what a "bad grip"is? Unless how one is holding a pen is actually causing physical harm to their hand, how is a grip "bad"?

PS: I have a friend who writes with the pen held between their middle and ring fingers, with their index finger not touching their pen/pencil at all. And guess what, that grip is neither harmful nor "wrong" in any way.

Edited by Glenn-SC

No more painful dent (no dent at all, others have a callus) at the middle finger nail junction...from decades of ball point tripod and a couple years of fountain pen tripod. No more death grip....and a light no think hold. Is something to examine if one is heavy handed.

:doh: Was more than a tad slow in just moving the pens mounting 1/3 of an inch into the fat of the middle finger first joint pad, got rid of Pain.

Sometimes what one learns is not thought about. Even if pain if writing long was normal....as was hand fatigue.

Yep, was Ham Fisted also. Pressing down from 10&2 was for me a problem. Plowing the south 40 with out the mule with a ball point for decades had carried over into fountain pens.

Common advice says it can take 3, up to 6 months to develop a light grip using the tripod.

It takes three minutes with forefinger up.

I'd been back to fountain pens a couple of years some 8 years ago, before one of the nice guys over in Penman sub sections, showed us the 'forefinger up'. :notworthy1:

It is an alternative, that works. If someone wants to stay tripod, fine they know it is an option, not a requirement.

xxxxxxxxxx

Slip cap pens after a time, perhaps a decade or two, often need the slip cap mechanism replaced.

Takes @ 1 to 1 1/2 seconds to unscrew my Pelikans....

Takes near a second, perhaps a slight tad under to pull the cap off of my P-45.

The only problem I see is remembering Twist Pelikans, pull P-51 or P-45s.

:rolleyes: Have tried to unscrew slip cap pens, due to lack of thought.

Having many more twist caps....don't try to pull them off.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I prefer the M800 size grip. The diameter and length of it are perfect to me. As far as the cap, I used to have issues with it unscrewing in my shirt pocket, but I realized this was because I wasn't capping it tightly enough. Once I started to put the cap on tighter, that problem stopped happening. A pen moving around in your pocket should never be able to unscrew itself, there isn't that much torque on the pen in that situation. You just need to tighten the cap down a bit more. Not TOO much, as that can crack it...