Please Help A Noob Find His First Pen

Teach13

I'm sorry if this rambles. Thank you to all who read it all and help me out.

First--hello!! I've been one of those lurkers for awhile now, but I wanted to step into this world. When I hit my thirties, I finally hit that spot where I wanted to look the part of "adult." Over the last ten(ish) years, I've totally changed my wardrobe, developed a decent cologne collection, switched to DE razors, and even added a watch :D

A few years ago, I decided that I wanted to own a nice pen. The short story of my "search" goes like this: I found the most expensive pen that I could afford and liked how it looked. The result: A Parker Sonnet ballpoint. I liked it so much that I added another Sonnet and a Waterman Hemisphere. All ballpoints.

See--I'm left-handed, so I just naturally avoided pencils (HATE those things), gel pens, and rollerballs. Never even considered a fountain pen. Well, after a LOT of reading (I love to research), I realized that fountains could work for me. I've read endless reviews, but I'd rather pick the brains of people like you, so here I am.

About me: I'm left-handed. I hold writing utensils by pinching them between my thumb, index, and middle fingers. Obviously, I'm used to writing with my fingers, not my whole arm. I have smaller hands--which is why I LOVE how my Hemisphere ballpoint feels in my hand. I'm a teacher, but my classwork is almost entirely conducted online, which means some days, I use my pens a lot. Other days, barely at all.

What I'm looking for: Something that is smooth when I use it, but something that I can occasionally go a couple of days without using and not have to spend half-an-hour trying to get the ink flowing again. Something that isn't piston-filled. I might be able to go down that route someday, but not today. Something that I could possibly own for a couple of decades without the need of much (if any) work/replacements other than regular cleaning. Something in the neighborhood of $200-250 MAX.

Now...I'm open to owning and rotating 2-3 that combine to fall in that price range (remember...teacher), or just one workhorse. Through my research (and own loyalties), I've narrowed my search to the following. Please let me know what you think--and feel free to give other suggestions based on the information above--even if you think, after reading all of this, that I'm better off just sticking with my ballpoints. That won't offend me. I really like them.

Parker Sonnet

Parker Premier

Waterman Hemisphere

Waterman Expert

Sailor 1911s

Sorry for the length. Again--I'm a teacher. A writing teacher at that. Thanks for any advice you can give me!!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Teach13

• mtbradley

• langere

• sansenri

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good to have you on board! I am a professor, though in History. I use my fountain pens a lot.

The point of being left-handed is not so much the pen, but getting an ink that dries quickly. You might want to ask that in a separate message.

You have selected some great pens. The pest is probably the Sailor, though keep in mind that Japanese nibs are finer than Western ones.

I think you might want to add Pelikan 200 series to check out. One of the great advantages of most Pelikans is that they are piston fill and are able to hold a lot of ink. I think a 200 or a 215 (my preference) would be best if you go that way. Otherwise, the Sailor is also a great choice.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Sailor Profit "B" nib running Van Dieman's Night - Shooting Star

Good to have you on board! I am a professor, though in History. I use my fountain pens a lot.

The point of being left-handed is not so much the pen, but getting an ink that dries quickly. You might want to ask that in a separate message.

You have selected some great pens. The pest is probably the Sailor, though keep in mind that Japanese nibs are finer than Western ones.

I think you might want to add Pelikan 200 series to check out. One of the great advantages of most Pelikans is that they are piston fill and are able to hold a lot of ink. I think a 200 or a 215 (my preference) would be best if you go that way. Otherwise, the Sailor is also a great choice.

Erick

Thanks!! Your comment about the ink is one of the reasons I realized that FPs could work for me. I just wanted to note to all that I'm left-handed to give you guys a better idea of who I am.

I've read a lot about Pelikans, and I've made notes to check them out later--but I've definitely decided to not go the piston route with my first pen. Let me tip-toe into this world, and then explore as I learn more.

Thank you for your help--nice to meet you, fellow educator!!

Personally I think finding the "perfect pen" (for you) on your first try is unlikely. I suggest starting off with more affordable (but reliable) pens in order to learn a little bit more about what you like and what you don't regarding fountain pens, before settling on "THE pen". Bear in mind that fountain pens can require a little more maintenance than ballpoints, and that learning that sort of thing is more comfortable on a cheaper pen.

My standard recommendation for new users is a Platinum Plaisir. It's affordable, less likely to dry out when left unused for a long period of time due to the special inner cap, has a long section and minimal step so it's unlikely to feel uncomfortable in your hand, and Platinum is probably one of the more reliable pen makers so you are less likely to end up with a lemon. It takes Platinum's proprietary ink cartridges, but can also use Standard International ink cartridges with the use of an adapter.

Personally I think finding the "perfect pen" (for you) on your first try is unlikely. I suggest starting off with more affordable (but reliable) pens in order to learn a little bit more about what you like and what you don't regarding fountain pens, before settling on "THE pen".

+1 on that. My suggestion would be a Lamy Al-star or Lamy Safari. They're not expensive, very trustworthy AND you can buy a few nibs (F, B, 1.1 stub, 1.5 stub) to go with the pen. Nibs cost very little and are easily replaced. So you'll be able to find out what nib-with you preferr at a low cost! (Personally, for example, I'd never guessed myself to be a stub-lover, also for everyday quick note-taking. So my first pens alle are M. And now get little use).

247254751_TSUKI-Yo_emptycompressedverkleind.gif.bfc6147ec85572db950933e0fa1b6100.gif

My first fountain pen was a Shaeffer No Nonsense back in the 1990s. I didn’t know about converters, and while many posters here love Shaeffer’s Skrip ink, it’s extremely lefty unfriendly. So there’s point #1.... get a syringe or converter for your pen. I’d actually suggest both. Shaeffer uses proprietary cartridges (like many pen manufacturers), so if you use cartridges you’re stuck with their ink. So my second recommendation is don’t buy a pen where you can’t use the stock cartridges at all. Not for a first pen anyway.

I’ve had very little trouble with the inks I’ve tried in standard international cartridges. And a very broad range of inks are available this way, so a pen that takes standard cartridges is a good idea. Faber Castell, Pelikan, Kaweco, many Chinese pen makers, Italian pens, French etc. As noted up thread, that includes Platinum with an adapter. If you have access to a shop where you can try before you buy, BUY THERE for your first pen. This includes many university bookstores mind, so it’s less difficult than you might expect. Buying in person might seem more expensive but there’s a much lower risk of getting a faulty pen since you can see for yourself that it behaves.

Pilot, Lamy and Platinum all have proprietary cartridges where I (and many other lefty posters) like the ink. If you’re buying blind, I’d suggest a Platinum Preppy to start as it’s very light weight, has a nice nib and they don’t dry out easily. Plus Platinum makes several really great inks. Pilot’s closest equivalent is the Kanuko which is rather more expensive but might strike you as very cute compared to a Preppy. The Preppy is a demonstrator which means it’s transparent and you can see everything. This can strike people as looking cheap. The Kanuko comes with opaque and conservative color options.

Every fountain pen user will recommend things a bit different. And most of us have several pens and many beloved inks...

My first fountain pen was a Shaeffer No Nonsense back in the 1990s. I didn’t know about converters, and while many posters here love Shaeffer’s Skrip ink, it’s extremely lefty unfriendly. So there’s point #1.... get a syringe or converter for your pen. I’d actually suggest both. Shaeffer uses proprietary cartridges (like many pen manufacturers), so if you use cartridges you’re stuck with their ink. So my second recommendation is don’t buy a pen where you can’t use the stock cartridges at all. Not for a first pen anyway.

Just FYI Sheaffers (or at least some cartridge Sheaffers) can use Standard International ink cartridges, even if there's a bit of a risk of the cartridge slipping loose if the pen gets shaken up; I used an Imperial with Pelikan cartridges for many years in school, and I've been using a 440, 444, and the newer 300 with Pelikan and Shneider cartridges recently with no trouble whatsoever.

GAtkins, trust me--I'm not dismissing pistons altogether. Just with this first one. Believe me, I will likely own a piston eventually. The love for them within the community is too strong.

All of these suggestions are helpful--thank you!! I will certainly look further into them. I will say that I'm not crazy about the grip I've seen on some of the Lamy's. Growing up, teachers always tried to force me to use rubber grippers like that on my pencils, and I hated it.

You guys seem to be urging me to go cheap (price-wise) with this first pen. Totally understandable. Isn't the Hemisphere on the cheap side? Thoughts on it vs some of these others mentioned?

Thanks for your help so far!!

Parker Frontier if you can still find one. Ones I had always had smooth nibs and looked way more expensive than they are. The ones with the plastic barrels have a better weight to them, but the metal versions look more classy. It's kind of like a poor mans sonnet, but without looking cheap and nasty.

I had a retro 51 lincoln fountain pen which has a screw top. Left that pen for six months inked and it did not dry out when I came to use it! I only sold it because my hands were too big for the grip.

My only advice after having just given advice - Pick a pen you like. You probably won't get anyone taking any notice of the pen you use.

Edited by JayKay3000

I dove into the deep end: a Waterman 52 with a Moore nib (subsequently replaced). I’m also a leftie, and I’ll suggest you avoid Mont Blanc inks: protracted drying times.

If you can get to a pen show you can try pens new and old, funky and pristine.

Of course you should bring money.

I go with the 'you won't find your perfect pen first time out'. No chance. So yes, go a little conservative on price. Don't be fooled by thoughts that you need a gold nib - or even a piston filler - for your first pen. (Although I do love piston fillers ;)). You need a pen that is comfortable in your hand and has a good nib. I'm also a leftie underwriter and have endless issues with oversaturated slow-drying inks. My first fountain pen was a Waterman Phileas. I stupidly sold it - but Ironically I bought another one on eBay yesterday. But now they're long discontinued they attract inflated prices. Good pens though. If I were you I'd pick up a good Parker 51 known to be in good working order. Easy to maintain and fun to learn a bit of pen maintenance with. You can still pick up a good writer on eBay for what, $75? But if it's about trying out a fountain pen at minimal cost, I'd endorse the Lamy Safari. Terrific pens and the grip issue is largely a myth. Easily interchangeable nibs as well. And you can try an oblique nib - my fountain pen world didn't come alive until I discovered OB nibs! But avoid anything with flex..... It is the work of the devil. ;)

By the way, there's nothing wrong with the Hemisphere, I had one but its far too slim for me. My wife saw it before I could put it up for sale and it now keeps my stub-nibbed Sheaffer Cadet company.... ;)

One other thought - a Pilot 78 - they can still be found here and there. Inexpensive and great writers with a good choice of nibs.

post-12997-0-78213400-1537040222_thumb.jpg

Edited by Aysedasi

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

I would have pushed you to a Pelikan M200 too (reliability is what it's all about, and below your budget), but since you don't want to go the piston way yet, and taking into account your preliminary wish list

Parker Sonnet

Parker Premier

Waterman Hemisphere

Waterman Expert

Sailor 1911s

I would say

don't go with the Sonnet, unfortunately they have been known to dry out...so you may find yourself spending half-an-hour trying to get the ink flowing again...

and as I don't know the Premier, Hemisphere or Expert, I would certainly recommend the Sailor 1911.

It's a great pen, reliable and good quality.

As mentioned nibs tend to be finer than Western pens, so possibly you should try the nib before buying, or stay one size larger that you would on a Western pen.

Some recommendations to start slightly cheaper on your first fountain pen are not unreasonable though...

Lots of good advice above. I'm a lefty as well. Based on your OP, I'd encourage you to consider a Sailor Pro Gear Classic rather than a 1911. I've got several (the black and rhodium was my first nice fountain pen). The 1911 may be larger than you want if your hands are small. It's also a 14k nib in the standard size whereas the Pro Gear is the 21k nib. Of course, you pay more as well, but it's still in your stated range. I can go weeks without uncapping my Pro Gears and they write perfectly the first time they touch the paper. Sailor nib widths are indeed finer than Western counterparts, so beware. I prefer MF and have them set up to write wet (I'm a left handed over writer, so most inks are dry by the time I run my hand through them). If you go this route, I recommend you purchase from nibs.com. They tune your nib for your hand and writing style and it's included in the cost of the pen. Other places may do this, but I don't have any experience with them.

As for Lamy, I own several and even use one on a daily basis to grade papers (a red one loaded with Sheaffer Skrip Red). I don't think they are the best budget pen out there, though. I've tried their nibs from EF through B and they were all a bit toothy. In the $50 or under category the Noodler Ahab (using the non-flex nib) set up with the converter (don't do the eye dropper thing - it's a disaster, at least in my experience) I find to be a nice writer with a fine/medium nib. I haven't used the TWSBI 580, but most folks seem pretty happy with them. So there are some cheaper options to start with that are great writers. But I'm less convinced that finding a pen you love the first time out can't happen. A Sailor with a well-tuned nib - especially in 21k - is a joy to look at, write with, and hold. But that's just one man's opinion.

Currently: Sailor Pro Gear Black/Rhodium M/F with Sailor Jentle Black; Sailor Pro Gear Yellow/Rhodium M/F with Diamine Sargasso Sea; Sailor Pro Gear Slim Sky Demonstrator/Rhodium M with Sailor Jentle Blue; Sailor Pro Gear Apres Ski M with Robert Oster Grey Seas; Sheaffer Touchdown Imperial VIII M with Diamine Asa Blue; Lamy AL-star Ocean Blue M with Private Reserve DC Supershow Blue; Lamy Safari Red F with Sheaffer Skrip Red for grading papers; Lamy Safari Neon Yellow F with Diamine Kelly Green; Esterbrook J Blue 9668 with Noodlers Ottoman Azure; Esterbrook J Red 9668 with Diamine Red Dragon; Esterbrook J Copper 2668 with Diamine Ancient Copper; Esterbrook J Gray 9668 with Robert Oster Stormy Seas; TWSBI Vac700R M with Robert Oster Grey Seas; Noodler's Ahab Clear Demonstrator M with Diamine Midnight; Kaweco Skyline Sport M with Diamine Grey; Faber-Castell Goldfaber 1221 HB and Tombow Mono HB

"Reading maketh a full man; conference a ready man; and writing an exact man." Francis Bacon, Of Studies

based on your selection, I vote sailor. Supremely well made, very unique, pencil-like feel and they just feel like a super quality tool. Parker and Waterman are iffy until you get to the high end.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Although a key variable it is tempting to sort out first is What sort of nib? Fine, broad, stub, flex etc.? The enjoyment of writing is also heavily governed by is it a light or a heavy pen, do you prefer to write with the cap posted or un-posted, is the barrel fat or narrow? A fast drying ink that suits the nib however would be a must for left-handed use.

One way to check out a range of pen body styles very cheaply is by picking up some of the Chinese pens such as the Jinhao x750 for a fat-bodied heavy pen, a Baoer 388 for a lighter/medium width body, and something like a Jinhao 156 (relatively heavy, but has a great sprung clip) or Baoer 801 (light) for narrow bodies. All of these pens are available in finishes that look pretty good and certainly not 'cheap', so do not look untidy when left on a desk anyway. Many of the Chinese pens are not terribly well balanced when the cap is posted, but for only a small outlay, they will give you a good idea of how the different body styles and weights feel. The range of nibs available is very limited however, so the Chinese pens will not give a great idea of what nib style you may prefer; the Lamy's as suggested previously are ideal for that, or even the Noodler's Ahab also suggested previously that is a wide-body but light pen that has a very different nib style to the other pens.

The Chinese pens are also useful in a classroom; they look ok, usually work surprisingly well given their price, but if they get lost or damaged, it is not heartbreaking. My 'workhorse' travel/classroom pen is a Jinhao 156 in Najran Red; my hand function is not great and the properly sprung clip is really easy for me to clip into my jacket pocket and it holds very well. That way my expensive pens can stay safe for use at home.

Edited by banana_legs

Thank you so much, all of you. This is very helpful!!

Do the threads of the Sailor's screw-caps get in the way when writing?

I don’t notice them at all. I suppose it depends on how you hold the pen. But if your hands are smaller, as you said, then I doubt it will be a problem.

Currently: Sailor Pro Gear Black/Rhodium M/F with Sailor Jentle Black; Sailor Pro Gear Yellow/Rhodium M/F with Diamine Sargasso Sea; Sailor Pro Gear Slim Sky Demonstrator/Rhodium M with Sailor Jentle Blue; Sailor Pro Gear Apres Ski M with Robert Oster Grey Seas; Sheaffer Touchdown Imperial VIII M with Diamine Asa Blue; Lamy AL-star Ocean Blue M with Private Reserve DC Supershow Blue; Lamy Safari Red F with Sheaffer Skrip Red for grading papers; Lamy Safari Neon Yellow F with Diamine Kelly Green; Esterbrook J Blue 9668 with Noodlers Ottoman Azure; Esterbrook J Red 9668 with Diamine Red Dragon; Esterbrook J Copper 2668 with Diamine Ancient Copper; Esterbrook J Gray 9668 with Robert Oster Stormy Seas; TWSBI Vac700R M with Robert Oster Grey Seas; Noodler's Ahab Clear Demonstrator M with Diamine Midnight; Kaweco Skyline Sport M with Diamine Grey; Faber-Castell Goldfaber 1221 HB and Tombow Mono HB

"Reading maketh a full man; conference a ready man; and writing an exact man." Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Looking at my pens again, I can see where the grooves might be a problem on the Sailors if you have a habit of gripping your pen too tightly. Maybe. However, a properly adjusted Sailor only has to rest in your hand. No need to throttle it. It skates across the paper leaving a beautiful line with no pressure at all.