The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Ink On Top Rim Of Bottle

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2018 - 21:26

Why is it that every time I open a bottle to fill a pen it seems that the top of the bottle needs to be wiped with a paper towel? And usually the inside of the cap also needs to be blotted. I know I'm not turning the bottle upside down. Will a slight tilt when unscrewing the cap cause this?

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

Sponsored Content

#2 AreBeeBee

AreBeeBee

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze+

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 September 2018 - 00:11

Depends on how full it is.  Also, ink is at least 99% water, and so water vapor can come off the top surface of the ink, humidifying the space between the surface and inside of the cap. Some will condense on the cap liner.

Or, if the ink bottle is in a drawer and you open it, chances are good some will slosh...  Also, consider that the cap seal may not be watertight all around the rim.

Lots of ways.

Edited by AreBeeBee, 15 September 2018 - 00:12.

#3 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,081 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 September 2018 - 02:26

I'm sure that there is a scientific explanation, but my anecdotal experience is that it depends on the bottle and the washer / gasket.  For example, I replaced my old Sheaffer bottle gaskets with circles cut from foam plates.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#4 LizEF

LizEF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 September 2018 - 02:44

I think ink is actually mildly sentient and really wants to be in a pen.  The first time you open the bottle and fill a pen, it learns that "up" is the way out and that the lid must be removed in order for it to escape.  And so, the bulk of its volume watches in horror as the pen is removed, taking only a small fraction of ink, and then as the lid is replaced, trapping it in the bottle.  But having learned there's a way out, the ink starts exerting all its energy to escape.  Hence, ink on the rim, the threads, the inside of the cap - it simply yearns to be in a pen.

Just be glad next time you open the bottle that it doesn't leap out and ooze off in search of the nearest pen(s).

#5 KaB

KaB

Tsukiyonist

• Member - Gold

• 1,093 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 September 2018 - 05:42

I think ink is actually mildly sentient and really wants to be in a pen.  The first time you open the bottle and fill a pen, it learns that "up" is the way out and that the lid must be removed in order for it to escape.  And so, the bulk of its volume watches in horror as the pen is removed, taking only a small fraction of ink, and then as the lid is replaced, trapping it in the bottle.  But having learned there's a way out, the ink starts exerting all its energy to escape.  Hence, ink on the rim, the threads, the inside of the cap - it simply yearns to be in a pen.

Just be glad next time you open the bottle that it doesn't leap out and ooze off in search of the nearest pen(s).

:D

fpn_kab_tsuki_yo_most_boring_212x150.gif  Current rotation: home: Lamy Al-star 1.5, GvFC Moss Green; Lamy Vista 1.1, Diamine Oxblood; Sheaffer Touchdown 0.6, Sailor Kin-Mokusei

Case: Visconti HS EF, Sailor Kin-Mokusei; Estie 2314M, R&K Alt-Goldgrün; Lamy Studio 1.1, Diamine Ochre 

#6 Noihvo

Noihvo

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,239 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 September 2018 - 06:28

fpn_1536992929__img_4594.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

#7 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 09:00

@LizEF  Thank you for this logical, scientific explanation. Makes sense to me :D

"Simplify and add Lightness"

"Want little. Need less. Love more."

#8 LizEF

LizEF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,562 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 September 2018 - 13:47

@LizEF  Thank you for this logical, scientific explanation. Makes sense to me :D

Someone should make a PBS special, right?

#9 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,335 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 September 2018 - 17:34

I'm glad that my question resulted in some creative, imaginative, and fun answers!

Edited by corgicoupe, 16 September 2018 - 16:32.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

#10 pepsiplease69

pepsiplease69

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 929 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 September 2018 - 21:45

Does that happen with all brands? or just nooders?

#11 LizEF

LizEF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,562 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 September 2018 - 22:15

Pretty sure all ink, regardless of brand, is semi-sentient.  Perhaps we should do a study to see if some brands, or dyes, or other ingredients are less sentient, or more passive, or...?  Maybe we could apply for a government grant.

#12 sansenri

sansenri

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 September 2018 - 22:47

More seriously, you'd be surprised how much ink washes about when you take your bottle to your desk, or, yes, tilt it slightly to open it. If you did the same gestures with a glass full of water you would probably spill it all around...

The fact the ink then wets the bottle top rim depends probably on the fact that it seeps in under the cap due to capillary action. What happens then, when you put the bottle to rest is that water content evaporates, the pigment remains on the rim, and accumulates, to the extent that it can block the cap!

Due to this problem I have actually cracked more than one bottle cap (especially Waterman bottles).

If you clean the bottle rim with a piece of paper tissue you will be surprised how much ink has actually dried out on the rim.

I recently had to carefully clean my Waterman Florida bottle (with the ink inside!) as the cap was getting more and more sticky and did not want to break another one.

#13 pepsiplease69

pepsiplease69

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 929 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 September 2018 - 23:11

Pretty sure all ink, regardless of brand, is semi-sentient.  Perhaps we should do a study to see if some brands, or dyes, or other ingredients are less sentient, or more passive, or...?  Maybe we could apply for a government grant.

No, Ill take your word for it.

#14 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 14:15

The Fluid Dynamics of Stationary Stationery: Bottled Modern Fountain Pen Inks and the The Contributory Factors of Sticky Lids (Excluding Over Tightening).

Got to run. I hear my pen calling me. Or is it the ink?

Edited by Karmachanic, 16 September 2018 - 14:17.

"Simplify and add Lightness"

"Want little. Need less. Love more."

#15 LizEF

LizEF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,562 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2018 - 14:44

The Fluid Dynamics of Stationary Stationery: Bottled Modern Fountain Pen Inks and the The Contributory Factors of Sticky Lids (Excluding Over Tightening).

Got to run. I hear my pen calling me. Or is it the ink?

:lticaptd:

#16 BaronWulfraed

BaronWulfraed

Mint

• Member - Bronze+

• PipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2018 - 15:31

Suspect that is the pen calling.

Ink is more subtle, and creeps onto your pillow at night to whisper in your ear as you sleep.

#17 LizEF

LizEF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,562 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2018 - 15:36

Suspect that is the pen calling.

Ink is more subtle, and creeps onto your pillow at night to whisper in your ear as you sleep.

:lticaptd:

#18 langere

langere

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,276 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2018 - 15:49

Actually, the ink is so sentient that when I change inks, it always takes a free ride on my fingers.

And my wife two days ago got her fingers all full of ink when she was using my pen, but she swore that she did not touch the nib.  I think the J. Herbin 1670 Emerald of Chivor, being a special ink, is even more sentient than others...

Erick

Currently in Rotation:

Stipula Ventidue Tocco Ferro "F" nib running Omas Sepia

Pelikan M 600 "F" nib running J. Herbin Emerald of Chivor

Platinum Izumo "M" nib running Diamine Poppy Red

PENBBB 323-31SF "F" nib running Noodler's Gruene Cactus

#19 LizEF

LizEF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,562 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2018 - 16:25

Actually, the ink is so sentient that when I change inks, it always takes a free ride on my fingers.

And my wife two days ago got her fingers all full of ink when she was using my pen, but she swore that she did not touch the nib.  I think the J. Herbin 1670 Emerald of Chivor, being a special ink, is even more sentient than others...

Erick

:lol:

#20 XYZZY

XYZZY

Near Mint

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2018 - 21:47

Noodlers ink still tries to escape the bottle, but it has a different motivation:  Noodlers wants to get out and spread the word.

Sponsored Content

|