• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ErrantSmudge

• amberleadavis

• Uncial

• EBGBs

Glad you received them well!

Thank you for having me in this CRV; it was fun to do

Thank you, ErrantSmudge, for the opportunity to do these.

I am really impressed, however, with EBGB's mix of Pilot Iro. Yama-Budo and Asa-Gao. I may just have do some playing around myself.

Thank you both for participating! This CRV got off to a REALLY slow start, but I am really happy with the way it is turning out.

I like the Iro Petrol mix and Ku-Jaku better than Lamy Petrol. Of the purple mixes Iro Lilac is the winner in terms of matching Lamy Dark Lilac as closely as possible. Iro Lilac has the gold sheen that Lamy Dark Lilac also possesses. My own "Faux Dark Lilac #3" mix is a good match in terms of hue and shading, but it doesn't sheen very much, nowhere near as much as Lamy DL.

I'm wondering if there's another Monteverde Lilac mix to be had by combining Monteverde Garnet with one of the other Monteverde purples, such as Charoite (a blurple) or Mulberry Noir (a dark blurple). I have all of these inks so I might give this idea a try.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

Thank you Dr Penfection and LizB :blush:

Iroshizuku inks are such a joy to write/ draw/ mix/ etc. I have never had a problem with any of them.

ErrantSmudge,

I used Amethyst because i though Garnet is already quite dark, so I went for the least dark of Amethyst, Charoite and Sapphire. But I am also biaised; I like Amethyst much more than the other 2. I didn't try other mixes so I don't know at all. Good luck with it!

the Iro-Petrol is amazingly close. I've been using Noodler's Air Corp as an approximate of Lamy Petrol, but I may have to try mixing my Iro's since I have both available.

If you have tried it, do you find the 3:1 Yama-budo:Asa-gao to be a closer imitation than the 3:1 Yama-budo:Shin-kai mix that I have seen in the past on these forums?

If you have tried it, do you find the 3:1 Yama-budo:Asa-gao to be a closer imitation than the 3:1 Yama-budo:Shin-kai mix that I have seen in the past on these forums?

No I haven't tried with either Shin-Kai or Tsuki-Yo. For the same reason as with Monteverde Garnet/Amethyst; my thought was that Yama Budo is already quite dark - close to Dark Lilac just in terms of darkness. Shin-Kai and Tsuki-Yo being dark blues; I was afraid the resulting mix would be significantly darker, 'blacker' than Dark Lilac.

And so if I had to use Shin Kai in a Lilac mix, my first thought would probably be to try with Tsutsuji more than with Yama-Budo.

As I said I haven't tried so I might be wrong.

I may give these a try this weekend just for fun

Those Iroshizuku mixes are so cool! Great work! Impressive matching for Petrol. Is there by chance also that interesting metallic pink / rose gold sheen or shift to dark magenta in concentrated areas with the Iro mix?

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Those Iroshizuku mixes are so cool! Great work! Impressive matching for Petrol. Is there by chance also that interesting metallic pink / rose gold sheen or shift to dark magenta in concentrated areas with the Iro mix?

Thank you very much

Regarding the sheen; I can't remember I have to say! But I do see something like red sheen on the pictures ErrantSmudge posted, especially on the second one ("all hail to Iro Petrol"). I guess ErrantSmudge would be better able to compare Petrol and Iro mix's sheens.

I don't have the mix or my papers with me so I'll only be able to have a look later.

Sheen is not something my scanner picks up well.

Lamy Petrol does have a pinkish metallic sheen. Iro Petrol has a similar sheen, but there is more red in Iro Petrol's sheen and the sheen is more pronounced than with Lamy Petrol.

Many people remarked on how close of a match Iro Petrol is. To my eye, under a color-corrected light, Iro Petrol looks a little bluer than Lamy Petrol. But to me that is a good thing.

The last (final?) batch of CRVs in this project come from Uncial. I like the little extra artworks attached to the CRVs!

Lamy Petrol, KWZ Walk Over Vistula, Robert Oster Blue Night

fpn_1548263541__lamy_petrol_uncial_crv_1

Lamy Petrol, Rohrer and Klingner Verdigris, Organics Studio Aristotle Iron-Gall

fpn_1548263551__lamy_petrol_uncial_crv_2

Never heard of the Lamy "Black Purple" before, it has an odd grayish sheen. It looks like Lamy had a Black Purple special edition Al-Star a while back, was this an ink to match?

Lamy Dark Lilac, Lamy Black Purple, Montblanc Beatles Purple

fpn_1548263560__lamy_dl_uncial_crv.jpg

Edited by ErrantSmudge

Glad it arrived. I wondered if, being an iron gal, the Aristotle might have darkened down a bit, but it doesn't appear to have. In the scan the Lamy Black Purple is notably different. I'm not sure when it came out. I bought it from a local B&M store last summer and he said he had some cartridges of the Black Purple to go with the Al Star if I wanted them. How could I say no!

Iroshizuku inks behave quite differently on the nib than Lamy’s. I like both, but I did make an effort to get 2 bottles of Petrol and a bunch of cartridges because I like the ink’s behavior—seems to work well even in my problem pens. I consider Iro inks more “watery” in the way they come off the nib, whereas Petrol is more dry but has good lubrication still. Petrol is closer to a cross between Diamine and Robert Oster in consistency, Iroshizuku is more unique. Iroshizuku is not exactly budget ink either :(

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Iroshizuku inks behave quite differently on the nib than Lamy’s. I like both, but I did make an effort to get 2 bottles of Petrol and a bunch of cartridges because I like the ink’s behavior—seems to work well even in my problem pens. I consider Iro inks more “watery” in the way they come off the nib, whereas Petrol is more dry but has good lubrication still. Petrol is closer to a cross between Diamine and Robert Oster in consistency, Iroshizuku is more unique. Iroshizuku is not exactly budget ink either :(

A bottle of iroshizuku is pretty cheap in US

$20-25 for most colors of Iroshizuku for 50ml is not cheap. Lamy inks go for $12 initially. A buch of my Sailor bottles were $12-14 each a year ago. Most inks go below $20 per bottle for 50ml or even larger.

Iroshizuku was about $18 US. But it looks like Pilot raised their prices, because both Goulet and Anderson are asking $20 USD for a 50ml bottle of Iroshizuku now.

I like my faux Dark Lilac made with Noodler's and DeAtrementis inks, though DeAtrementis costs about the same per ml as Iroshizuku at US prices. Noodler's, however, is quite inexpensive.

I really liked the Iroshizuku color palette when I had the chance to try them at the 2018 San Francisco Pen Show. I'm not sure I would go out and bottles just to use for mixing purposes, but they are nice inks.

Comparing colors in the various FPN posts showing color samples and reviews, graciously given by fellow FPN members, Lamy Petrol and Dark Lilac fountain pen owners can be confident that they can find substitutes for those out of reach colors.

It is a bit silly of Lamy, to produce popular limited edition pens and matching colors inks, then distribute those inks, in an erratic manner, worldwide, then discontinue them, almost immediately.

Are we supposed to stop writing with our limited edition colors Safaris and Al Stars after the limited edition inks are discontinued or are we supposed to write with the included Lamy Blue cartridge, then settle with Lamy regular colors?

Herbin Vert de Gris appears to be very close to Lamy Petrol, just a bit lighter.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/338141-j-herbin-vert-de-gris/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/339514-j-herbin-vert-de-gris-perle-des-encres/

Pelikan Purple looks close enough to Lamy Dark LiLac minus the sheen.

The link below shows that Diamine Pansy is probably the closest to Dark Lilac.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/279353-inky-t-o-d-color-swatches-violet-purple-please-post-your-pictures-and-tell-us-your-thoughts/page-15

Edited by Anne-Sophie

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

• 4 years later...
On 1/11/2019 at 7:00 PM, ErrantSmudge said:

The CRVs from EBGBs came in. Not only did he try some ink mixes to replicate the Lamy colors, he also sent me back some more CRVs of his own for me to complete!

First, the teals.

Lamy Petrol vs. Iroshizuku Syo-Ro, Organics Studios Uranium, Robert Oster Deep Sea, Diamine Musician Beethoven, Diamine Musician Schubert, and some mixes of Iroshizuku Syo-Ro and Iroshizuku Take-Sumi,

fpn_1547250614__lamy_petrol_crv_ebgb_1.j

Lamy Petrol vs. the "Iro Petrol" mix: 2.5 of Iroshizuku Syo-Ro to 1 of Iroshizuku Take-Sumi. Tomoe River.

fpn_1547250621__lamy_petrol_crv_ebgb_2.j

Lamy Petrol vs. the "Iro Petrol" mix, Rhodia paper.

fpn_1547250629__lamy_petrol_crv_ebgb_3.j

And the purples:

Lamy Dark Lilac versus Iroshizuku Yama-Budo, Monteverde Garnet, Noodler's Eel Cactus Fruit, Diamine Bilberry, Monteverde Amethyst, and two mixes: Iroshizuku Yama-Budo + Asa-Gao 3:1 ("Iro Lilac"), and Monteverde Garnet + Amethyst 1:1 ("Monte Lilac").

fpn_1547250642__lamy_dl_crv_ebgb_1.jpg

Lamy Dark Lilac versus three mixes: Monte Lilac, Iro Lilac, and Faux Dark Lilac #3 (Noodler's Purple + DeAtrementis Aubergine 2:1).

fpn_1547250737__lamy_dl_crv_ebgb_2b.jpg

I made the Iro Lamy mix and it matched very well.  (Had bought one cartridge of Lamy Dark Lilac on eBay for $5.)  One can adjust the mix to get differing shades, all of which have been great.

2 hours ago, GreenMountain said:

I made the Iro Lamy mix and it matched very well.  (Had bought one cartridge of Lamy Dark Lilac on eBay for $5.)  One can adjust the mix to get differing shades, all of which have been great.

I may have to get the Iro inks to make the faux DL mix.  I've been using the DeAtrementis Aubergine + Noodler's purple mix up until now. Don't remember if I've already noted this but DeAtrementis Aubergine is a very wet and penetrating ink (well my bottle anyway), and the Noodler's in the DeA+Noodler's mix isn't enough to tame those properties (especially since Noodler's inks tend to run wet themselves).