Front-Heavy Or Front-Weighted Pen Recommendations

TennesseeTrash

I've been using a Sailor Black Luster (Lustre) lately and enjoying it. The pen is very comfortable to use for long periods of time. I believe this is due to its section being much heavier than the body of the pen. The front-heaviness works very well posted and unposted. Surprisingly, the metal section has not caused a slipperiness issue with me. I'm not sure if this is due to the coating on the section.

Are there any other pens that are front-heavy like this pen that I should look at? I'm tempted to buy a duplicate Sailor black luster just to have a spare, but would rather try something else out if something is available. A search for front heavy pens only yielded the Sailor black luster and the now elusive Sailor "Lawyer" which appears to be the same thing without the black coating.

Thanks everyone.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Precise

• TennesseeTrash

• Parker51

• Namo

Hi Tenn...

Your post aroused my curiosity. I started a thread here about the balance point of pens.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/339600-measuring-balance-of-a-fountain-pen/

I'd love to know the balance point of your pen.

I note from your post that it works well. Can you be more specific about the experience?

Also, you wrote that it works well posted, if you measure the balance point posted, and that of other pens un-posted, I'll bet that the Luster looses its front weighted balance. In other words, I think other pens will have balance point closer to the tip than the Luster when posted.

Finally, you seek other front weighted pens. In the same thread, page 2, the shortest (distance to the balance point) reported is 71mm for the Cross Peerless. But I just looked at my pens and measured a Duke Chaplin at 60mm unposted. This is a very heavy pen, but good and inexpensive. 61mm may be less than your Luster.

Best,

Alan

Edited by Precise

I would think you are mostly looking for resin pens with metal sections to shift the weight forward. A lot of Visconti are like that, but they may also use heavier bodies. I think you are also going to be looking more at C/C pens then piston fillers that sometimes have more weight to the back. (Like a Pelikan m800 or MB 146)

I don't have much in the way of good suggestions since I don't normally care for metal sections.

Alan,

That's very interesting. I will measure this when I get a chance and post it in your thread. I typically write with a Pelikan m805 or a conid regular sized, but this front heavy sailor is very nice to use.

Driften, thanks for the criteria.

Hi Driften,

This thread has triggered my interest. I recently bought a Lamy Accent, which has a removable section, which is 1.43" long. The cap attaches to a short shaft below the section. So we are free to make a fat and/or heavy section and it still will cap.

I tried an aluminum section which weighs 13 grams and a brass section which weighs 39 grams. The distance from the tip to the Cg when the brass section is mounted, is 56mm, a new record low. I've been writing with it and am surprised at how subtle the effect of this heavy brass section is. Is it better? Maybe.

The brass section has flat regions for the tip of the forefinger (sides of brass) and the side of the middle finger (bottom of brass). The first pic shows the grip. The second pic shows the flats.

Alan

fpn_1537829923__lamy_with_brass_section.

fpn_1537830095__lamy_with_brass_bottom_v

Edited by Precise

The lamy 2000 is a perfect example of a nose-heavy pen.

The pilot varsity is a little more nose heavy

The faber castell loom is as well.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

More experimental sections in this thread

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/339600-measuring-balance-of-a-fountain-pen/page-2

On that page, the combination of the lightest section (knurled) and the 23g brass weight at the top of the barrel (the configuration of the photo) produces an extreme "back weighted" pen, with the Cg 98mm from the tip. Yet I like writing with it just fine. In general, I've recently converted to posting or adding top weights which is like super-posting. All resulting in back weighted pens. And I like writing with them. But I think what I like is not back weighting per se, but the increased inertia of posting or super-posting which smooths my writing motion.

Alan

Edited by Precise