The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Are Noodler's Inks Safe And Good?

inks noodlers safe for fountain pen

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#61 Freddy

Freddy

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,932 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 September 2018 - 20:19

Hello, it's a 1994 Matte Navy Parker Rialto and Parker Quink Solv-x Black. I found some pics from the web.

http://myparker.ru/U..._rialto_028.jpg

https://i.ebayimg.co...tFO/s-l1600.jpg

I dedicated some Platinum Preppys to iron gall and shimmering inks so I won't worry about it too much haha. I leave Scabiosa in my pen sometimes but I don't see any staining at all (yet).

** Noodler's Black will not dry unless it is absorbed into paper.  If you use a wet pen to write on FP-friendly/thick paper *(so that the ink rest on top of the paper)* it will smudge. Your pen is probably very dry :)**

Re** Noodler's Black ink / Fountain Pen Friendly/Thick paper......*(so that the ink rest on top of the paper)* Your  pen is probably very dry {smileyfacetimethingie}**

Usin' a very wet 2284 nib and different papers..such as but not limited to HP 20/92 Clairefontaine Rhodia  G. Lalo  Field Notes...et al.

Of course...Your Mileage May Vary....If not already..........

Fred..

A country road....A tree....Evening....

Where nothing happens....

Sponsored Content

#62 sirgilbert357

sirgilbert357

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 September 2018 - 22:11

Not knocking Noodlers Black, but if it doesn't work for you, Pelikan 4001 Black has been a decent alternative in my experience. It's a bit drier and still has a decent amount of resistance to water. I find it rather easy to clean out of my pens too.

#63 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,683 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2018 - 00:47

I'm not a huge fan of Noodler's Black -- I prefer Heart of Darkness, because it dries a bit faster, and is pretty water resistant (more so than 4001 Black -- although that's got more water resistance than one might expect.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#64 Edo98

Edo98

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 October 2018 - 19:25

Hello everyone today I get two bottles of ink noodler's, the black and the blue-black today I just tried the blue-black and it's a wonder it's wet and has a good behavior in my lamy 2000 has a beautiful and deep color.

I tried it on cheap paper and Rhodia having good results on both.
I even read in some reviews that noodler's smear on rhodia even after being dry, but with my noodler's blue-black that did not happen.
I think the next week I will try the black ink because at the moment the blue-black ink has fascinated me by that mysterious color.

#65 Mongoosey

Mongoosey

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 October 2018 - 17:02

Hello everyone today I get two bottles of ink noodler's, the black and the blue-black today I just tried the blue-black and it's a wonder it's wet and has a good behavior in my lamy 2000 has a beautiful and deep color.

I tried it on cheap paper and Rhodia having good results on both.
I even read in some reviews that noodler's smear on rhodia even after being dry, but with my noodler's blue-black that did not happen.
I think the next week I will try the black ink because at the moment the blue-black ink has fascinated me by that mysterious color.

Definitely worth trying out samples so you can try a bunch out inexpensively.  A lot might surprise you.

...at least 1/2 of my preferred inks  were ones I wouldn't have purchased bottles of and at least 3/4 of the inks I expected to love ended up being ones that i didn't like or didn't work well for me

#66 Aquaria

Aquaria

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2018 - 19:29

My experience with the ink has been that the quality control is sadly unacceptable. Ink colors will not match, bottle-to-bottle. Ink properties will vary, bottle to bottle. Even things like the smell of the ink won't be consistent. And these indicate that safety problems for my pens would be more likely.

This makes it a no-go ink for me until the owner gets off his high horse and starts paying some people to handle some of the work so he can get on top of producing a consistent product. He has a lot of great ideas and creativity with what ink is capable of, but not being able to count on an ink to be what you expect of it, bottle to bottle, is unacceptable to me as a buyer.

But that's my experience. Other people may be okay with these things.

Edited by Aquaria, 22 October 2018 - 19:30.

#67 eharriett

eharriett

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2018 - 14:11

I guess I never notice when the colors don't match.  I never get through one bottle.  And swatches on my monitor are never completely exact with what I see in real life due to paper differences, nib choice, etc.

The inks are just fun for me!

#68 Lloyd

Lloyd

Can a nib be smoothed by psychokinesis?

• Member - Gold

• 6,074 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 17:21

This is like asking "Are mushrooms safe to eat?"  There's such a wide range of Noodlers inks, from almost too gentle (and dull) to very finicky (but often worth it for some specific trait).

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

#69 ErrantSmudge

ErrantSmudge

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,004 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2018 - 17:52

I guess I never notice when the colors don't match.  I never get through one bottle.  And swatches on my monitor are never completely exact with what I see in real life due to paper differences, nib choice, etc.

The inks are just fun for me!

I noticed quite clearly when I received samples, and then had an entirely different color show up in the bottle. I avoid Noodlers now.

#70 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,105 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2018 - 18:03

This is like asking "Are mushrooms safe to eat?"  There's such a wide range of Noodlers inks, from almost too gentle (and dull) to very finicky (but often worth it for some specific trait).

Perfect response! 

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#71 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 35,462 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2018 - 20:04

Nice description.

I have to say the Noodler's Purple People Eater is a WONDERFUL and safe ink.  And Navajo Turquoise is FAB.  Both are very safe and not dull.  BSB is amazing and NOT safe.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#72 eharriett

eharriett

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 997 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2018 - 21:15

Nice description.

I have to say the Noodler's Purple People Eater is a WONDERFUL and safe ink.  And Navajo Turquoise is FAB.  Both are very safe and not dull.  BSB is amazing and NOT safe.

Wait a minute:

Noodlers actually has a color with an official name of “Purple People Eater” and I’ve not heard of this???!!!

#73 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 35,462 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2018 - 21:32

No, it's just "Purple" but I think it would sell better if he renamed it.  

http://www.fountainp...e people eater"

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#74 Lloyd

Lloyd

Can a nib be smoothed by psychokinesis?

• Member - Gold

• 6,074 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 23:25

Is a Purple People Eater purple or is it an eater of purple people?

I suppose you are what you eat....

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

#75 eharriett

eharriett

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 997 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 October 2018 - 00:48

Damn.

That would have been a really cool label.

#76 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,683 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 October 2018 - 00:52

:lticaptd:

Even my husband thought that was funny.  And he's not an FP guy at all (although I keep trying to coax him over to the dark side...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#77 azbobcat

azbobcat

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 October 2018 - 21:08

Hummmm. One of the reasons I started using Private Reserve inks (besides having "my" color -- Blue Suede) is that they are water soluble inks that are "safe" for fountain pens. From what I have read many, if not all Noodler's inks are safe for fountain pens. IF Private Reserve goes belly up, I have found that all the ink colors I like can *almost*, if not perfectly, be matched by a Noodler's Ink. With the status of Private Reserve up in the air, while I have not Abandoned Ship... Yet... I have located my Life Preserver, and located where the Life Boats are. Noodler's is where I'll head if need be.

#78 eharriett

eharriett

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 997 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 October 2018 - 23:55

Hummmm. One of the reasons I started using Private Reserve inks (besides having "my" color -- Blue Suede) is that they are water soluble inks that are "safe" for fountain pens. From what I have read many, if not all Noodler's inks are safe for fountain pens. IF Private Reserve goes belly up, I have found that all the ink colors I like can *almost*, if not perfectly, be matched by a Noodler's Ink. With the status of Private Reserve up in the air, while I have not Abandoned Ship... Yet... I have located my Life Preserver, and located where the Life Boats are. Noodler's is where I'll head if need be.

This is correct.

I've actually already done what you are suggesting.  I had a bunch of PR inks I really liked but for several reasons, I switched to Noodlers - got the same colors.  Only keeping two PR inks: the original 2003 DC Supershow blue, although I have not used it in awhile, so that may go on the chopping block too, and Tanzanite, which is one of my favorite colors I have not been able to exactly replicate.

#79 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 35,462 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 October 2018 - 04:35

I love DC Super Show Blue and Tanzanite. I bought extras of them both when I found out Terry had passed away.

#80 eharriett

eharriett

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 997 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 October 2018 - 04:45

I love DC Super Show Blue and Tanzanite. I bought extras of them both when I found out Terry had passed away.

Ah, but which DC Supershow Blue? There’s, like, 5 different ones, aren’t there? I’ve only got the 03.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: inks, noodlers, safe for fountain pen

Sponsored Content

|