Are Noodler's Inks Safe And Good?

Edo98

Hello, it's a 1994 Matte Navy Parker Rialto and Parker Quink Solv-x Black. I found some pics from the web.

http://myparker.ru/UserFiles/Files/prk_rialto_028.jpg

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/fcEAAOSwgmJX0tFO/s-l1600.jpg

I dedicated some Platinum Preppys to iron gall and shimmering inks so I won't worry about it too much haha. I leave Scabiosa in my pen sometimes but I don't see any staining at all (yet).

** Noodler's Black will not dry unless it is absorbed into paper. If you use a wet pen to write on FP-friendly/thick paper *(so that the ink rest on top of the paper)* it will smudge. Your pen is probably very dry :)**

Re** Noodler's Black ink / Fountain Pen Friendly/Thick paper......*(so that the ink rest on top of the paper)* Your pen is probably very dry {smileyfacetimethingie}**

Usin' a very wet 2284 nib and different papers..such as but not limited to HP 20/92 Clairefontaine Rhodia G. Lalo Field Notes...et al.

Of course...Your Mileage May Vary....If not already..........

Fred..

A country road....A tree....Evening....

Where nothing happens....

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Edo98

• eharriett

• amberleadavis

• inkstainedruth

Not knocking Noodlers Black, but if it doesn't work for you, Pelikan 4001 Black has been a decent alternative in my experience. It's a bit drier and still has a decent amount of resistance to water. I find it rather easy to clean out of my pens too.

I'm not a huge fan of Noodler's Black -- I prefer Heart of Darkness, because it dries a bit faster, and is pretty water resistant (more so than 4001 Black -- although that's got more water resistance than one might expect.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Hello everyone today I get two bottles of ink noodler's, the black and the blue-black today I just tried the blue-black and it's a wonder it's wet and has a good behavior in my lamy 2000 has a beautiful and deep color.

I tried it on cheap paper and Rhodia having good results on both.
I even read in some reviews that noodler's smear on rhodia even after being dry, but with my noodler's blue-black that did not happen.
I think the next week I will try the black ink because at the moment the blue-black ink has fascinated me by that mysterious color.

Hello everyone today I get two bottles of ink noodler's, the black and the blue-black today I just tried the blue-black and it's a wonder it's wet and has a good behavior in my lamy 2000 has a beautiful and deep color.

I tried it on cheap paper and Rhodia having good results on both.
I even read in some reviews that noodler's smear on rhodia even after being dry, but with my noodler's blue-black that did not happen.
I think the next week I will try the black ink because at the moment the blue-black ink has fascinated me by that mysterious color.

Definitely worth trying out samples so you can try a bunch out inexpensively. A lot might surprise you.

...at least 1/2 of my preferred inks were ones I wouldn't have purchased bottles of and at least 3/4 of the inks I expected to love ended up being ones that i didn't like or didn't work well for me

• 3 weeks later...

My experience with the ink has been that the quality control is sadly unacceptable. Ink colors will not match, bottle-to-bottle. Ink properties will vary, bottle to bottle. Even things like the smell of the ink won't be consistent. And these indicate that safety problems for my pens would be more likely.

This makes it a no-go ink for me until the owner gets off his high horse and starts paying some people to handle some of the work so he can get on top of producing a consistent product. He has a lot of great ideas and creativity with what ink is capable of, but not being able to count on an ink to be what you expect of it, bottle to bottle, is unacceptable to me as a buyer.

But that's my experience. Other people may be okay with these things.

Edited by Aquaria

I guess I never notice when the colors don't match. I never get through one bottle. And swatches on my monitor are never completely exact with what I see in real life due to paper differences, nib choice, etc.

The inks are just fun for me!

This is like asking "Are mushrooms safe to eat?" There's such a wide range of Noodlers inks, from almost too gentle (and dull) to very finicky (but often worth it for some specific trait).

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I guess I never notice when the colors don't match. I never get through one bottle. And swatches on my monitor are never completely exact with what I see in real life due to paper differences, nib choice, etc.

The inks are just fun for me!

I noticed quite clearly when I received samples, and then had an entirely different color show up in the bottle. I avoid Noodlers now.

This is like asking "Are mushrooms safe to eat?" There's such a wide range of Noodlers inks, from almost too gentle (and dull) to very finicky (but often worth it for some specific trait).

Perfect response!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Nice description.

I have to say the Noodler's Purple People Eater is a WONDERFUL and safe ink. And Navajo Turquoise is FAB. Both are very safe and not dull. BSB is amazing and NOT safe.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Nice description.

I have to say the Noodler's Purple People Eater is a WONDERFUL and safe ink. And Navajo Turquoise is FAB. Both are very safe and not dull. BSB is amazing and NOT safe.

Wait a minute:

Noodlers actually has a color with an official name of “Purple People Eater” and I’ve not heard of this???!!!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Is a Purple People Eater purple or is it an eater of purple people?

I suppose you are what you eat....

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

:lticaptd:

Even my husband thought that was funny. And he's not an FP guy at all (although I keep trying to coax him over to the dark side...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Hummmm. One of the reasons I started using Private Reserve inks (besides having "my" color -- Blue Suede) is that they are water soluble inks that are "safe" for fountain pens. From what I have read many, if not all Noodler's inks are safe for fountain pens. IF Private Reserve goes belly up, I have found that all the ink colors I like can *almost*, if not perfectly, be matched by a Noodler's Ink. With the status of Private Reserve up in the air, while I have not Abandoned Ship... Yet... I have located my Life Preserver, and located where the Life Boats are. Noodler's is where I'll head if need be.

Hummmm. One of the reasons I started using Private Reserve inks (besides having "my" color -- Blue Suede) is that they are water soluble inks that are "safe" for fountain pens. From what I have read many, if not all Noodler's inks are safe for fountain pens. IF Private Reserve goes belly up, I have found that all the ink colors I like can *almost*, if not perfectly, be matched by a Noodler's Ink. With the status of Private Reserve up in the air, while I have not Abandoned Ship... Yet... I have located my Life Preserver, and located where the Life Boats are. Noodler's is where I'll head if need be.

This is correct.

I've actually already done what you are suggesting. I had a bunch of PR inks I really liked but for several reasons, I switched to Noodlers - got the same colors. Only keeping two PR inks: the original 2003 DC Supershow blue, although I have not used it in awhile, so that may go on the chopping block too, and Tanzanite, which is one of my favorite colors I have not been able to exactly replicate.

I love DC Super Show Blue and Tanzanite. I bought extras of them both when I found out Terry had passed away.

I love DC Super Show Blue and Tanzanite. I bought extras of them both when I found out Terry had passed away.

Ah, but which DC Supershow Blue? There’s, like, 5 different ones, aren’t there? I’ve only got the 03.