Are Noodler's Inks Safe And Good?

Edo98

In truth, each ink is unique. While inks from the same maker or in the same line will often share some characteristics, they will almost necessarily vary in others. Pilot's Iroshizuku Yama-Guri has good water and fade resistance, while Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku has noticeably less of both. Flow characteristics appear to be the most consistent across various lines (e.g., Diamine standard inks are generally regarded as having wetter flow than Robert Oster, and Pelikan's Edelstein inks are typically both wetter and more eye-catching than their 4001 line).

Just because only one person has said it, if at all possible, buy samples rather than committing to full bottles, until you find out what inks you really like.

I know it's been said twice, but in truth, Pilot Blue-Black is not waterproof. It has very good water resistance, faring well in both splatter and soapy soak tests, but it is not waterproof, particularly not on the level of iron-gall inks, Noodler's Bulletproof, Eternal, and Warden inks, or De Atramentis's Dokument inks, or R&K's Dokumentus line.

Parker made a couple of really evil inks, but they were not Quink. They were Parker "51" ink and Superchrome ink. They even ate the silver breather tubes in Parker "51" pens.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Edo98

• eharriett

• amberleadavis

• inkstainedruth

Have Amber back me up, bit I believe it is settled case law that one can not void a warranty just because you do not use their brand of ink. Is Ben settled in the automotive industry for decades. Ford can't good a warranty because you use Chevy or x brand oil.

I'm just an armchair lawyer, but I'm confident that the warranty is still void if you use Coca-cola.

Have Amber back me up, bit I believe it is settled case law that one can not void a warranty just because you do not use their brand of ink. Is Ben settled in the automotive industry for decades. Ford can't good a warranty because you use Chevy or x brand oil.

YES AND Aurora sent "Cease and Desist Letters" to one of beloved pen modifiers for modifying Aurora pens. Aurora will NOT win on that topic.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I'm just an armchair lawyer, but I'm confident that the warranty is still void if you use Coca-cola.

Coca-Cola is not oil. That would void the warranty on a car.

Otherwise, no one but the dealer could work on your car and no one could make parts for it. The newest s@#! the manufacturers have come up with its the DMCA. Keeps anyone from figuring out how the computer works and allows them to sue for violations. Because EVERYTHING is computer controlled, the aftermarket is being legally shut out.

Think about it. I have school buses that are completely controlled by the computer. Step on the accelerator and the computer seems a signal to the engine, no actual cable connection. Transmission is completely under the control of the computer.

There is actually a write up where a guy took complete control of a jeep while it was driving on the freeway, from another state.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/hackers-disable-brakes-wi-fi-equipped-jeep-miles-away-wired-video/&ved=2ahUKEwi93Pah18PdAhVJhq0KHc63D1QQFjANegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw38fKgvfirXsJemOe9YtRhv&ampcf=1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2016/8/2/12353186/car-hack-jeep-cherokee-vulnerability-miller-valasek

Peace and Understanding

A friend of ours (who is a motorhead and likes doing road rallies and the annual Bantom Jeep Festival in Butler County, PA) does NOT like her boyfriend's Prius just for that reason (i.e., the computer controlling everything). She describes it as "drive by wire"....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for formatting

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

That's definitely what we need! Computer controlled fountain pen ink. Wetter with lower saturation? Just two keystrokes away. Where do I sign up?

Add lightness and simplicate.

I understand you are telling me, they are good inks only that they are strong and saturated therefore they require a more laborious cleaning to remove all trace of the ink.

Then how often does it have to be cleaned apart from when you change colors?

I used Noodler's Liberty's Elysium in my Lamy 2000 with a medium nib for a couple years straight (constantly inked and never rinsed out, just wrote it dry and refilled it) and only cleaned it once or twice. It's still my main ink for that pen, but I've tried a couple other inks in it off and on. The beautiful thing about the Lamy 2000 is how you can take the whole feed apart and meticulously clean it. You can get the entire nib clean as well. While there was a bit of reddish-purple residue on the nib and the feed, it wiped right away with a paper towel or came off with a toothbrush (used the toothbrush on the feed - gently!).

Noodler's ink have a bit more "personality" than other inks, but I think some of the colors are worth the drama. I'm no Noodler's fan boy, but I love my Liberty's Elysium. Noodler's Black is also pretty solid, but I just don't really care for black, so I don't use it often.

What I found:

- Noodlers is not "bad", although badly over-rated. Ten years ago, I went back to fountain pens. FPN was packed with "Noodlers is the greatest thing since..." Could not find a blue I liked. Tried Noodler's Blue, Ottoman Azure, a couple others. Too many had a greenish lilt. Private Reserve had several attractive blues. However, I now mix PR, when I use it at all, with Quink WITH Solv-X.

- Noodler's has some specialty inks that make no sense. For instance, why a "polar" ink? Didn't people write with fountain pens and liquid ink in New Brunswick, Minnesota, and Norway?

- Permanent Skrip and Quink, the old versions, were permanent enough that parents used to insist that we use washable inks. That's as permanent as I need.

- When Ron Zorn recommends something, it is well worth listening.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Yeah, a good blue is hard to make/find. There are very few good blue pigments/dyes. Indigo was valuable because it was practically the only source of blue for ages. Even the infamous BSB leans purple. It also depends on your eyes, some eyes are more sensitive to one hue than the other. I have Manhattan Blue, it's a tad on the green but it's very stately. I'm also enjoying Liberty Elisium. To my eyes don't see neither green nor purple.

I'm also enjoying Liberty Elisium.

What do you think of that one? I don't own a bottle of it. It looks too close to Revolution Blue to me but without the shading. Does L-E stain your pen? Revolution does, which is the only down side to it, so I keep it in its own pen. Worth it for the blue.

LE's nice. I use it in lieu of BSB (though I did just get a safety pen for finicky ink). Yes, LE stains. More like a blue film than a permanent BSB stain. It's been a while, vaguely remember it staining one pen but not another. The color reminds me of, say, Lamy Blue shading down to a dark blue at the bottom of the stroke. It's been a while, so I could be wrong. I did write a bit on a piece of paper and staple it outside and it's mostly there, not faded but oddly abraded away.

I didn't know about Revolution Blue. Looking it up, RB and LE do look very similar. I think LE is brighter, a lighter blue. You could probably accomplish the same effect by diluting.

Noodler's Black has become my most-used ink (in any of my pens) since I started using it about ten years ago. I had tried tens of black inks--and liked many of them. But I didn't want to choose from between several very good black inks, and Noodler's Black was the most trouble-free -- from lack of feathering on paper to ease of cleaning out of pens. It was a no-brainer for me.

I like several other Noodler's colors, but I've shied away from the Bay State series (they didn't appeal to me anyway) and from the inks that seemed a tad... "oily" or something. I didn't think those inks were harmful; I just prefer more fluidy, liquidy (trying not to say "watery") inks, but yeah. I don't like inks that leave a film residue -- from any brand.

If concerned, you could clean your pens on a schedule. I didn't think I needed to clean out my pens, and then I realized that I was changing inks so frequently that I was cleaning my pens often! Now, I've had Noodler's Black in a Pilot CH912 (PO) since I got it about two years ago, and I don't recall flushing the feed and nib more than once or twice, if I even have. One time, I might have put the nib under the faucet for a quick shower; it would have been more about cleaning the nib of paper fibers.

I loves me my Noodler's Black ink! It's my favorite.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Not sure what happened there?

Anyway, Noodler's Inks. Fabulous for creative investigation and creative activities, however, some of the products do contain waterproof agents, tamper resists and carbon additions, particularly for the black inks ranges. As said, fabulous to create art with but not maybe not such a great idea to leave longterm in a treasured fountain pen for obvious reasons. That's all.

Edited by NickiStew

To view the full article and images please visit my blog: **** WWW.NICKSTEWART.INK ****

I have never seen a solid in any of my inks. And that, ladies and gentleman, is why you don't let ANY ink dry in your own.

Peace and Understanding

That Lawrence ink if it looks very interesting huh :)

I love El Lawrence, and continue to use it, despite the fact that sometimes, for whatever reason, it dries quickly in-pen, and gives hard/no starts in several pens I have used. Some pens I've used it in never give me any trouble. I've not discovered the secret, and sometimes it drives me nuts, but, I just love the color.

I've had old batches, and brand new batches, and have never been able to pinpoint where the difficulty is. But, I continue to use it, knowing I might need to work with it a bit

.....the Heart has it's reasons, which Reason knows nothing of.....

Noodler's Black smudges like crazy unless used on cheap paper with a dry pen. I don't recommend it at all. You've been warned.

Firstly..Welcome CrimsonBlood..enjoy your time here. If you don't mind which Parker pen and color of Quink did your dad give you?

Your penmanship will improve with practice. Keep writing to your penfriends.

Interesting that you would use R&K Scabiosa 'vintage' ink..a iron gall purple that many folks recommend not

leaving in your pen very long ..no longer than a week or so as it may stain.

I have used Noodler's Black in a Esterbrook 444 with a Dip-Less pen for many years without any of the issues you mention.

Still your friend and mine,

Fred

Noodler's Black smudges like crazy unless used on cheap paper with a dry pen. I don't recommend it at all. You've been warned.

I agree, but I still use it occasionally.

Firstly..Welcome CrimsonBlood..enjoy your time here. If you don't mind which Parker pen and color of Quink did your dad give you?

Your penmanship will improve with practice. Keep writing to your penfriends.

Interesting that you would use R&K Scabiosa 'vintage' ink..a iron gall purple that many folks recommend not

leaving in your pen very long ..no longer than a week or so as it may stain.

I have used Noodler's Black in a Esterbrook 444 with a Dip-Less pen for many years without any of the issues you mention.

Still your friend and mine,

Fred

Hello, it's a 1994 Matte Navy Parker Rialto and Parker Quink Solv-x Black. I found some pics from the web.

http://myparker.ru/UserFiles/Files/prk_rialto_028.jpg

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/fcEAAOSwgmJX0tFO/s-l1600.jpg

I dedicated some Platinum Preppys to iron gall and shimmering inks so I won't worry about it too much haha. I leave Scabiosa in my pen sometimes but I don't see any staining at all (yet).

Back to topic - Noodler's Black will not dry unless it is absorbed into paper. If you use a wet pen to write on FP-friendly/thick paper (so that the ink rest on top of the paper) it will smudge. Your pen is probably very dry :)