Rare Button Filler Swan.

shrinew

Hello Experts and friends,

I have come across one Mabie Todd Swan pen. That looks diffrent in first look.

1. It is GREY pen with WHITE strips.

2. Its a BUTTON FILLER pen.

3. It has 2 gold rings on cap.

4. It has swan logo but no number at barrel end.

5. 14k Nib with swan engraved on the nib.

6. Cap clip is having swan logo which starts from very top of cap.

Help me to identify the pen, if its rare or not.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MaD Mercantile

• shrinew

• chunya

• Cob

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello Experts and friends,

I have come across one Mabie Todd Swan pen. That looks diffrent in first look.

1. It is GREY pen with WHITE strips.

2. Its a BUTTON FILLER pen.

3. It has 2 gold rings on cap.

4. It has swan logo but no number at barrel end.

5. 14k Nib with swan engraved on the nib.

6. Cap clip is having swan logo which starts from very top of cap.

Help me to identify the pen, if its rare or not.

A photo of your pen would be useful. Mabie Todd didn't make many button fillers, and the ones that they did I think are from the 1950's. I've a List of MT pen numbers which I can't locate just now, if I find it online !'ll post a Link .... but a photo should get you a rapid ID.

Here's the Link, as you se just a few button fillers

http://www.mabietoddpenlists.co.uk/SWAN%20FOUNTAIN%20PENS%20020713%20%20PDF%20Ready.pdf

Edited by chunya

As far as I know, Mabie Todd did not make any button fillers, unless one includes the Top-Filler Blackbirds or the VT Visofils, neither of which are true button fillers à la Parker Duofold, National Security etc.

I have a curious 'Swan Blackbird', probably made in Europe in the 1960s. It carries the correct Swan Logo and is a true button filler. I would guess that the name and trademark were licensed to the maker by the BIRO company, latterly owners of Mabie Todd and thus the Swan and Blackbird names.

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

Hi Cob,

I've never ever seen a Swan button filler, but recalled seeing reference to them in the List of Swan Numbers Document .... just been through it and they identify a Swan Lady (no number) and a Swan Avon as being button fillers, as well as a Blackbird Essex, all without numbers and not common for MT all named. But as I say, I've never come across any. It would be really interesting if shrinew could post some photos.

Edited by chunya

A photo of your pen would be useful. Mabie Todd didn't make many button fillers, and the ones that they did I think are from the 1950's. I've a List of MT pen numbers which I can't locate just now, if I find it online !'ll post a Link .... but a photo should get you a rapid ID.

Here's the Link, as you se just a few button fillers

http://www.mabietoddpenlists.co.uk/SWAN%20FOUNTAIN%20PENS%20020713%20%20PDF%20Ready.pdf

Sir,

pic of pen is posted now, please tell what info you have for it. i will be thankful.

Well, that has me stumped. I've never seen a Swan button filler before, nor a striated one.

Hopefully Cob or someone else might recognise it.

Please tell Swan collectors to help.. thanks

Please tell Swan collectors to help.. thanks

I'm sure the Swan experts will drop in. Cob might have been right about the name being licensed out and it not being a Mabie Todd Swan, and as he has what he thinks is a non-MT 'Swan' button filler he should be able to compare it with his.

It is an attractive pen.

Well, that has me stumped. I've never seen a Swan button filler before, nor a striated one.

Hopefully Cob or someone else might recognise it.

I am suspecting it is was made late in Sawn's existence , no mention of Mabie Todd - The nib reminds me of the "Galligraph" nibs, but is a simple #1 fine point - It seems like a well made pen - no shrinkage or very sturdy

it could be from this era, as Cob stated "I would guess that the name and trademark were licensed to the maker by the BIRO company, latterly owners of Mabie Todd and thus the Swan and Blackbird names."

sorry, can't help with specifics - very attractive pen, and agree that largish circular nib breather holes are seen often on Calligraphs, though they usually have the large C round the hole. The clip attachment on this one - and its shape - are also late Swan production characteristics.

I have only one nib where the breather hole pierces the Swan logo, and that's on a Blackbird pen.

Mike,

Thanks for the nice images.

I have no idea what that pen is! The nib is a later style. The clip style is from the 1950s or later. For totally arbitrary reasons, I do not collect pens later than the 1940s, but I still tend to look at everything called "Swan" and this style is totally unfamiliar to me.

My silence is due to total lack of info.

I suspect it is one of the post Swan Swans made in Germany? Quite a lot have come up on E-bay recently, but none like yours. Does it have a country of origin anywhere on it?

My Swan Blackbird came fitted with a poor Warranted nib. I fitted an old Swan 1 to it.

fpn_1536777233__with_swan_1_nib.jpg

fpn_1536777277__in_parts.jpg

fpn_1536777314__2.jpg

Rgds

C.

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

My Swan Blackbird came fitted with a poor Warranted nib. I fitted an old Swan 1 to it.

fpn_1536777233__with_swan_1_nib.jpg

fpn_1536777277__in_parts.jpg

fpn_1536777314__2.jpg

Rgds

C.

Hello Cob Sir,

many believe that you are the best person for all info on swan pen.

I want to know your view on this pen and how you grade this pen...rare or not?

also, like to know if this is the valueable pen or not

thanks.