You Know.......

Claud

some times you just don't give a damn what the pen costs. Happened to me twice this week. one the Bungbox Ginza Line SE and the other a minty MB 146 from 1953. Nowhere in me did I have the ability to resist. I guess I am totally hooked.

Edited by Claud

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Claud

• Driften

• inkstainedruth

• Karmachanic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a doctor, but I play one on Internet forums.

Sounds like a good diagnosis to me.

My Rx is 60ml each of your favorite inks. Ya know, just to calm any unexpected excitement.

Repeat as necessary.

“ I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”  Alan Greenspan

I have been trying hard to not spend money on a pen right now. I just ordered a Sailor Pro Gear Slim Ocean SE cheep and am trying to resist buying the full size one as well. I have had three Sailor pens in the past but they all were sold over time. Not because they were bad pens, but basic black pens that did not stand out from other pens I had. I don't even know if I would like the color of this pen in person yet!

This all started by wanting a Karas Kustom Vertex that is not out yet and as of today will not be out until sometime in October. Oh well...

I have a Sailor Pro Gear Ocean and I'm sure you will love the color.

Makes me more want to go back and pick up the large one as well. I paid $120 US shipped for the Slim one. I don't mind the smaller one. I was fine with the 1911S, I liked the 1911L better but both worked for me. Just like both the Pelikan m200, m600, and m800 all work for me.

Update: I went ahead and bought the full size one as well. La Couronne du Comte seems to still have some in their summer special, but only the B nib version is on sale which is my favorite Sailor nib. I got the full size Pro Gear Ocean for $214 shipped after the sale and combined with a 10% off coupon code you can find lots of places. It would have cost me $312 at the few shops in the US that still have them.

So I did buy two pens I didn't plan on spending the money on, to keep from regretting not getting one later.

Edited by Driften

I remember when I bought my first "good" pen -- a $9 US Parker Vector, F nib. I remember feeling so completely extravagant at having spent that much money just on a writing instrument I was only going to be using for my morning pages journal.... :rolleyes:

I remember the past two years going "I'm going to cut back on pen purchases this year...." I remember thinking I had enough Parker 51s. That I didn't like the Art Deco look of Vacumatics. That I was never going to buy a Waterman. That I was never going to pay more than $50 US for a pen. That I was never POSSIBLY going to want more than 50 pens....

At this point I've only learned to never say "never" anymore....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Driften, those pens you bought were great deals. Some times the hunt is half the game. My full size Pro Gear Ocean came from Dan Smith, The Nibsmith with a Broad Cursive Italic nib. The smaller Pro Gear Slim and Standard 1911 Sailors are very nice writers too. My favorite nib in Sailor is MF. That has nothing to do with anyone's Mother.

So the more pens we have the happier we become? This is not my experience.

I think the more you learn about pens, the more you will buy, limited by your resources.

@ Claude

There is some truth in your statement. For myself, as my understanding evolved so did my taste in pens. I PIFed and gifted the majority of my early purchases. My small accumulation ranges from an X750 to a Conid Minimalistica. Acrylic, Delrin, Ebonite and Celluloid. Gloss and Matte.

I am satisfied with the few pens I have. I've discovered that I prefer CI nibs, and have grinds from 0.45 to 1.1, all steel. I'm about to order a 14kt custom nib that, hopefully, will give me the softness I now seek. If that works out, I will have achieved Pen Peace.

Add lightness and simplicate.

This happened to me with the Pelikan m205 clear, I have a very definite maximum budget, and usually look for good deals even if it takes a long time to get them; just had to splurge at full msrp for the m205, luckily it fulfilled its goal which was to make Kon Peki look great.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

some times you just don't give a damn what the pen costs. Happened to me twice this week. one the Bungbox Ginza Line SE and the other a minty MB 146 from 1953. Nowhere in me did I have the ability to resist. I guess I am totally hooked.

I'm with you brother. The brand spanking shiny GvFC PoTY says Hi, sigh :bawl: So much for self control and meditation.

I think the more you learn about pens, the more you will buy, limited by your resources.

I think that's only partly true. I do buy more pens, but I've also become more discriminating in *what* I buy. While I have a couple of ~$300 price range pens, I also have a LOT that were under $100 even with repairs. And even those two really expensive pens (a couple of Pelikan M405s) were ones that I didn't pay full US retail prices for.

And in addition I'm a notorious cheapskate. The two most recent fountain pens I've bought were a Parker 51 Aerometric (two bucks at an estate sale) and a older Waterman Exclusive (under than $11 even with the sales tax).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Driften, those pens you bought were great deals. Some times the hunt is half the game. My full size Pro Gear Ocean came from Dan Smith, The Nibsmith with a Broad Cursive Italic nib. The smaller Pro Gear Slim and Standard 1911 Sailors are very nice writers too. My favorite nib in Sailor is MF. That has nothing to do with anyone's Mother.

I bought my Optima from Dan in B with one of CI grinds and like it and had him do a Oblique CI grind on my MB 146 B. I was happy with his work.

I had a 1911S with the MF nib and it was great until I decided I liked wider nibs better and it felt too fine for me. Also had a Realo with a Zoom nib, but it was a bit too wide with most inks, and my Sailor B's were just right ;)

I am looking forward to my new Sailors making their way here from the Netherlands.

I don't agree with the OP about not caring what a pen costs as you need to not spend more than you can afford.

But once I've spent the money on the pen it's value is zero while I own it and I make sure to use it because if I think about how much it costs or how much I plan to sell it for then there isn't any point owning it and I'll never enjoy it. A certain level of depreciation is a potential side effect of potential use and holding out for 'that' pen as an investment probably isn't sound financial advice.

I know people who have a bunch of really nice pens and they never, ever get used or see the light of day. So sad, such a waste.

As for the more you learn about pens the more you buy, I think that's normal as you try different pens, learn what you like and don't like and play with the different filling systems. At least that's my experience. Now I've settled on three of the same pens and I'm happy with no desire to buy more pens and of course, all these pens get used.

Edited by JayKay3000

I remember not caring when I bought the first good pen that was actually mine that it cost $25 for the pen and pencil set.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I have a '50-60's medium large 146 that is better balanced than the Larger later 146....and I got a maxi-semi-flex on the older 146. A nib that I'd wanted quite a while....in I knew MB had to make a maxi, the others like Pelikan, Geha and Osmia did.

What do you have a semi or maxi?

I have three MB's from that era the 234 1/2 Deluxe (52-54 only) is a semi-flex KOB, the rolled gold 742 (51-55) is right between semi&maxi....my only nib so. The rest are ...27 semi-flex and 13 or 16 maxi's.....dam I should have made a spread sheet are easily separated into semi or maxi.

My '70-80's Large 146 only has a regular flex nib.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.