New Entry-Level Urushi Pen

MartinPauli

Manu Propria Pens has added a new pen concept to its collection, the SIMPLICITUS, only eye-dropper available in limited urushi lacquer types three colors marble lacquer (Dairiseki) and black stone lacquer (Kuro-Ishime-ji). The Simplicitus is an entry-level concept and comes with a high quality JOWO stainless steel nib and stainless steel clip.

Best,

Martin

post-142691-0-97593900-1536592515_thumb.jpg

post-142691-0-06117900-1536592521_thumb.jpg

post-142691-0-39120500-1536592525_thumb.jpg

post-142691-0-47793500-1536592533_thumb.jpg

post-142691-0-90002800-1536592539_thumb.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MartinPauli

• Lloyd

• Driften

• mke

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

> I don't understand why a Swiss made pen should be talked about in the Japan - Asia area.

But you would understand that Danitrio pens are talked about here, would you?

Danitrio has even a pinned link at the Japanese section.

To your understanding: Danitrio is from US, Newport Beach. Nothing to do with Japan.

Or, how about Taccia pens, designed/made in Taiwan - owned by Itoya. Japanese pens?

Or Ohto pens - order-made in China by a Japanese corproration. Japanese pens.

And now, you come and say that there should not be information about Manupropria pens which are mostly made with Japanese materials using old Japanese techniques.

I doubt that you have well-thought about the contents of your complaint regarding the wrong place.

"Pens from the Land of the Rising Sun - Sunrise is perfection, and so are the pens from Japan. Enjoy the wasabi-filled discussions of these pens here, such as Eboya, Hakase, Nakaya, Namiki, Ohto, Pentel, Pilot, Platinum, Sailor, Stylo-Art, Tombow and many others."

I'll shut up now.

Edited by Driften

These pens look very nice. By "entry level" what is the (street) price range for these pens?

I wish the nibs were Japanese. For me the interesting and unique nib quality is what draws me to Pilot, Sailor, and Platinum. (But I understand Danitrio uses foreign nibs as well. Bock, I think.)

I think Danitrio pen bodies are made in Japan.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I have just received a private message from Stan

Martin. One of our members makes an important point. Your product is not Japanese. We appreciate your participation in the forum and must ask you discontinue highlighting Manupropia pens.

Regards.

Stan

Dear Stan,

Since we live in a democratic society let's talk about and let the people decide who are activ in Japan-Asia forum.

Since I am posting on FPN, there was not one negative post on this matter so far.

Your reaction now bases on a post of one single member.

Before I signed in on FPN I was intensively thinking about where, in which section to show Manu Propria pens and to post on urushi lacquer.

First reason:

Danitrio, AP, Taccia , Ohto, Faggionato are not Japanese companies but use Japanese urushi techniques, have parts made in Japan, use European nibs. Further on any Japanese pen makers like Eboya for example use European nibs. Many of the lower price pens from the big Japanese brands are completely made in China.

Second reason:

I my claim, that I have extended and profund knowledge about urushi lacquer and have provided many usefiul information on this craft in this forum.

It is not my main interest to promote MP pens but to promote the variety of the craft itself.

Urushi lacquering is an endangered craft and all my fellow urushi friends in Japan make great efforts to promote and make this rare and valuable craft attractive to people around the world.

MP is specialized in the research and application of old lacquers and newly developed experimental lacquers, so called "Kawari-Nuri" or "Saya-Nuri" sword sheeth lacquers.

All MP pens introduced in this forum show a variety of rare lacquer or lacquer never applied on pens before.

However, dear members, let us know your opinion

It is hard to tell if Stan's message is based on your pens not being Japanese, or whether the objection is based on your posts being seen as commercial advertising.

If the former, the moderators could redirect your posts to the appropriate forum.

If the latter, maybe posting in Marketplace.

Your techniques are very interesting, and I always enjoy seeing the pens.

Thank you Gary,

I don't intend to sell through this forum. Pen Forums are no market Places for new pens.

I only want to show and inform the audience about lacquer and the wide variety existing beside of Maki-e

Thank you Gary,

I don't intend to sell through this forum. Pen Forums are no market Places for new pens.

I only want to show and inform the audience about lacquer and the wide variety existing beside of Maki-e

Hmm. Is that why you only discuss your pens in particular and not lacquer pens in general?

We may live in a nominally democratic society, but this forum, thankfully, is a controlled environment. I, for one, suggest you follow Stan's guidance.

Please continue to share your knowledge of lacquer and its usage.

Add lightness and simplicate.

Thank you for your comment.

Please look up all my posts and comments in various topics before you claim I only show pens please

Thank you for your comment.

Please look up all my posts and comments in various topics before you claim I only show pens please

#1 in this thread, which is what lead, I believe, to this discussion.

I do agree with many that is a clear distinction in our minds. Danitrio pens, although based in California, are made by Japanese craftsmen using traditional Japanese techniques in Japan. While I really appreciate the amazing creative vision and thoughtfulness of craftsmanship by Manupropia, I don't consider these pens Japanese, in the same way that I don't consider Jonathon Brook's urushi pens Japanese. He does not post in this forum, and have always talked about his pens being inspired by techniques from Japan. Technically I would agree with some that these post SHOULD appear on the marketplace forum instead. But I also understand Martin's defense and because this is a place of enjoyment and relaxation for me, I would prefer people able to share thoughts and ideas, to make this a richer and more information place, rather than talk about banning or exclusion.

I like the Manu Propria pens I have seen and I see no problem in having pictures and discussion of these pens posted in this Forum, as they are certainly very much in the Japanese style and ethic.

Having said that, I must say that the original post certainly reads to me more as a sales post than as a discussion of "lacquer and the wide variety existing beside of Maki-e" and in that regard might be better suited for Market Place.

I do agree with many that is a clear distinction in our minds. Danitrio pens, although based in California, are made by Japanese craftsmen using traditional Japanese techniques in Japan. While I really appreciate the amazing creative vision and thoughtfulness of craftsmanship by Manupropia, I don't consider these pens Japanese, in the same way that I don't consider Jonathon Brook's urushi pens Japanese. He does not post in this forum, and have always talked about his pens being inspired by techniques from Japan. Technically I would agree with some that these post SHOULD appear on the marketplace forum instead. But I also understand Martin's defense and because this is a place of enjoyment and relaxation for me, I would prefer people able to share thoughts and ideas, to make this a richer and more information place, rather than talk about banning or exclusion.

??? I thought Martin was/is being encouraged to post in the appropriate forum/s

Shouldn't the pictures and information regarding Martin's (gorgeous) pens be posted in the Pen Turners & Makers subforum?

Oscar Wilde

Somehow the argumentation is a bit - not really understandable.

Some people are interested in Japanese pens but not if the maker is not Japanese.

And the discussion that Danitrio is excempted because some of the work is done in Japan sounds like a big excuse.

In addition that you most probably don't know what is done in US and what in Japan in Danitrio pens.

Links to the homepages of Pilot are OK - even with pictures.

Links to the homepage of Manupropria is called advertisement.

I don't get the difference.

My Danitrio Takumi has been sent from California (a one man operation) to the craftsmen in Japan to fix a broken section. Aside from the nib and distribution, it's a Japanese pen.

Oscar Wilde

To me this post looks like an ad you would see in a magazine or our Marketplace... My objection was not that it was outside of the marketplace but a Swiss pen is not Japanese. Pelikan Maki-e pens are talked about in the Pelikan area. Why should this be different? It's my understanding Pelikan actually uses Japanese craftsmen to do the work. If the Urushi was done in Japan for them and they wanted to talk about that, sure I think at would make it go here. I don't see what is so wrong with expecting this posts to be in the proper regional, general, or Marketplace area.