Preserving Ink Writing

AlohaLani787

How do you preserve fountain pen ink if it's used on envelopes, or letters for that matter?

This Christmas I plan on using multi-colored inks to address and adorn envelopes. Several sites and local stores sell a fixative supposedly for this purpose.

With the collective light-years of ink experience here I'm sure someone will know how to waterproof ink so it can be used for envelopes.

What is your go to product for this purpose?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• FLZapped

• AlohaLani787

• Stompie

1) There are lots of waterproof inks in lots of colors - you could use one of those. The De'Atramentis Document inks are mixable so you could make your own colors. Others may also be mixable.

2) Try out the fixative - if it works, perfect solution. It's not that expensive to test it. If it works, it could be the easiest solution - line up your completed envelopes and spray away.

3) People here have posted about rubbing wax over the writing on an envelope - so you could try that too.

Whichever yo do, testing first seems like a good idea. :)

I rub a candle over the envelope to protect the writing.

Health and Safety Instructions:

Inter Alia:

Of course, the candle is not lit at any point before or after rubbing it on the envelope.

The candle should not be eaten either before or after rubbing the envelope.

Do not perform this operation whilst in a Sauna.

:lticaptd:

My addressing ink is Diamine Registrars. Iron gall. They've gotta destroy the envelope itself to take out the ink.

There's other iron galls out there you can use that are different colors. I think they're made primarily by KWZ and platinum. Get ink samples if you want many. One sample will last you the entire season.

I recommend caution and care with whichever pen you put IG ink in. Mine is in a safety pen with a glass tip nib.

Noodlers black for my envelopes. If I wanted colours Id probably source other inks similar in property.

I like the feather resistance of it also, means cheaper envelopes are an option.

Edited by PurplePlum

Noodler's Kung Te Cheng is pretty much everything proof. I've also used some iron gall inks, and other waterproof inks such as Noodler's 54th Massachusetts and El Lawrence.

I'm also rather fond of vintage Quink Microfilm Black. Have yet to try Sheaffer's equivalent, Skrip V-Black, although I have a bottle of it now.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

1) There are lots of waterproof inks in lots of colors - you could use one of those. The De'Atramentis Document inks are mixable so you could make your own colors. Others may also be mixable.

2) Try out the fixative - if it works, perfect solution. It's not that expensive to test it. If it works, it could be the easiest solution - line up your completed envelopes and spray away.

3) People here have posted about rubbing wax over the writing on an envelope - so you could try that too.

Whichever yo do, testing first seems like a good idea. :)

Definitely will test first, as I'm wondering about any texture or stickiness from the aerosol fixative. Since no one else indicates they've used it, perhaps it shouldn't be my first choice.

I rub a candle over the envelope to protect the writing.

Health and Safety Instructions:

Inter Alia:

Of course, the candle is not lit at any point before or after rubbing it on the envelope.

The candle should not be eaten either before or after rubbing the envelope.

Do not perform this operation whilst in a Sauna.

ROFL! I have a mental picture of Peter Sellers (Pink Panther fame) sitting in a sauna rubbing a candle over an envelope. No, I am not drinking. :D

My addressing ink is Diamine Registrars. Iron gall. They've gotta destroy the envelope itself to take out the ink.

There's other iron galls out there you can use that are different colors. I think they're made primarily by KWZ and platinum. Get ink samples if you want many. One sample will last you the entire season.

I recommend caution and care with whichever pen you put IG ink in. Mine is in a safety pen with a glass tip nib.

Yup, I think a permanent ink is the choice. Since I already have black, red, and green ink I thought I'd take the cheap route, but it probably isn't the wisest. Don't think I want to bother with IG ink because I'd rather not buy a special pen for it and I know I wouldn't put in any pen I currently own.

Noodlers black for my envelopes. If I wanted colours Id probably source other inks similar in property.

I like the feather resistance of it also, means cheaper envelopes are an option.

Good - thank for the tip. I think I'll order a few now to try out.

Noodler's Kung Te Cheng is pretty much everything proof. I've also used some iron gall inks, and other waterproof inks such as Noodler's 54th Massachusetts and El Lawrence.

I'm also rather fond of vintage Quink Microfilm Black. Have yet to try Sheaffer's equivalent, Skrip V-Black, although I have a bottle of it now.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Thanks Ruth for the tip. I'm going to order a few samples of ink to try out now so I'll be ready.

You can use clear packing tape.

You can't be serious..... :huh:

Definitely will test first, as I'm wondering about any texture or stickiness from the aerosol fixative. Since no one else indicates they've used it, perhaps it shouldn't be my first choice.

I've used a fixative - not for this purpose - and I don't recall it being sticky after it dried. Don't recall one way or the other about texture.

You can use clear packing tape.

You can't be serious..... :huh:

No? How about laminating the envelope - it would be unique, memorable, and as waterproof as all get-out... ;)

I actually do the above on packages - put the address label on, then put packing tape over it.

I actually do the above on packages - put the address label on, then put packing tape over it.

As do I for it also helps protect against abrasion.

As do I for it also helps protect against abrasion.

Me too. I tend to seal all printed content on address labels except for barcodes with clear packing tape, but then the goal is to have the best chances that the information will remain legible to everyone involved in the delivery chain through the journey, not for the text (or label itself) to stay beautiful or pristine. I am safeguarding against rain, spills, dirt, smears (from other sources and not the baked-on toner), scrapes and punctures, but not expecting the recipient to want to retain the label for posterity.

When I'm the recipient of a parcel, I usually just use a forensic evidence-taking quality camera and lens to take some photos of the box/bag/labels if there is anything I want to show the sender (or eBay, or PayPal), and then discard the packaging with the trash.

How do you preserve fountain pen ink if it's used on envelopes, or letters for that matter?

This Christmas I plan on using multi-colored inks to address and adorn envelopes.

I'm not sure I understand. Isn't it up to the individual recipients (of what you send) to decide whether they want to preserve the envelopes, and if so, how they do it? How is it something you need to worry about from your end?

I mean, if they want to laminate your letters, or store such in a cool dry dark place for optimum preservation, no doubt they'll make the investment of effort.

If it's just about making sure the envelopes survive the journey before the recipients rip them open to get to the ‘payload’ of the delivery process, there is nothing really wrong with using clear packing tape.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I've used a fixative - not for this purpose - and I don't recall it being sticky after it dried. Don't recall one way or the other about texture.

Fixative is the least expensive route to go and easiest to test so I'm going to give it a go.

No? How about laminating the envelope - it would be unique, memorable, and as waterproof as all get-out... ;)

Lamination-That's an interesting idea. I put wide clear packing tape over printed UPS labels to safeguard them too, but IMO tape on an envelope would look tacky.

Me too. I tend to seal all printed content on address labels except for barcodes with clear packing tape, but then the goal is to have the best chances that the information will remain legible to everyone involved in the delivery chain through the journey, not for the text (or label itself) to stay beautiful or pristine. I am safeguarding against rain, spills, dirt, smears (from other sources and not the baked-on toner), scrapes and punctures, but not expecting the recipient to want to retain the label for posterity.

When I'm the recipient of a parcel, I usually just use a forensic evidence-taking quality camera and lens to take some photos of the box/bag/labels if there is anything I want to show the sender (or eBay, or PayPal), and then discard the packaging with the trash.

I'm not sure I understand. Isn't it up to the individual recipients (of what you send) to decide whether they want to preserve the envelopes, and if so, how they do it? How is it something you need to worry about from your end?

I mean, if they want to laminate your letters, or store such in a cool dry dark place for optimum preservation, no doubt they'll make the investment of effort.

If it's just about making sure the envelopes survive the journey before the recipients rip them open to get to the ‘payload’ of the delivery process, there is nothing really wrong with using clear packing tape.

Sorry I wasn't clear, apparently. Yes, it's to safeguard against wetness. I have all the ink colors I want to use, except none are waterproof and I'd rather not buy duplicates in permanent ink for every color.

I do use wide clear shipping tape to protect labels, but I'm not concerned about aesthetics. I am with a decorated envelope and tape doesn't look "finished" IMO.

I'll try the fixative first because it's cheap, and then laminate if that doesn't pass my wetness test.

tape on an envelope would look tacky.

I'll try the fixative first because it's cheap, and then laminate if that doesn't pass my wetness test.

From an aesthetic point of view, I'm thinking the wax might look better than lamination. Also, if you really mean complete lamination of the envelope (as opposed to tape across the addressed side, or something), are you sure the postal service will take them? (Or are they to be hand delivered?)

Just thoughts - I'm sure you know what end result you're after. :) I'd be curious either way what worked for you.

Noodler's Kung Te Cheng is pretty much everything proof.

KTC has survived at our plant nursery. It survives sun, wind, sand and water.

Although I like the idea of candle in sauna.

:P

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

What's your methodology?

What's your methodology?

Make a wisecrack, attach an emoji, and wait for a reaction. ;)

Seriously, it was a joke. I do think, however, that if the postal service would deliver a fully laminated1 letter, it would be hilarious to see the reaction of the recipient.

1like you put the letter in a lamination pouch and run it through the machine - though to my knowledge, personal lamination machines won't take anything that thick, so you'd have to go to a copy shop or somewhere that has a more-industrial lamination machine.

When I care about the appearance and protection of an envelope to recipients I would place it in a protective mail pouch. Seriously.