Pilot 100Th Anniversary Pens (Maki-E)

Seiryuu

The press release was announced: see here

Seems to be 7 unique colored inks and pens for the 7 gods of fortune and a Emperor Mt. Fuji Pen.

http://www.pilot.co.jp/press_release/%E4%B8%83%E7%A6%8F%E7%A5%9E%28511%29.jpg

http://www.pilot.co.jp/press_release/PILOT_MARUKAN_0509%28511%29.jpg

http://www.pilot.co.jp/press_release/%E5%AF%8C%E5%A3%AB%2C%E5%AF%8C%E5%A3%AB%E3%81%A8%E6%98%8E%E6%B2%BB%E4%B8%B8_%E5%B0%8F.jpg

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mke

• johntdavis

• mjchuang9

• MalcLee

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These will make some Namiki fans pleased.

I was wishing for a Yukari Royale Maki-e or Chinkin for the 100th year anniversary.

Edited by nekomuffchu

Even the most affordable one out of the whole selection is enough to bleed my wallet dry.. But nonetheless, great-looking pens with the Maki-e craftsmanship.

Beautiful?

Not really. Maki-e pens are more and more looking as if someone copied some manga artists. Soon Doraemon might be an acceptable design for Maki-e.

I am missing the understatement in maki-e design. It is like using spices - too much is too much.

Now, let's hope the next announcement shows some more interesting pens - which can be bought by normal people.

Since these are out of my range, now hoping for a Kakuno 100th anniversary.

I sat there staring at the prices: Okay, chop off a couple of zeroes, shift the comma, and ... nope.

This is about what I expected for Pilots 100th anniversary LE pens; both in terms of price and content. I still hope they later release a more affordable and mass-appealing anniversary lineup.

I've never been a huge fan of maki-e, not because I don't like the technique, but because the type of images typically done in maki-e don't appeal to me (e.g., gold fish, frogs). There are a few exceptions which I like but not enough to buy.

I’m kind of glad that a few of us seem to think similarly...

I would be open to the Fuji No.50 design, though, if it weren’t for the price.

Having said that, the pricing does seem to be approximatly what one might have predicted.

Bring on the more affordable options for us plebeians.

I might buy the 2 cheaper models.

The 5 million yen models really disappoint me. Comparing to the Miyabi set they offered for their 80th anniversary at 2.4 million yen. I would say that the 100th anniversary set was far inferior in terms of design, technique and innovation.

With each pen priced at around ¥700,000(same price as Namiki Emperor Kirin), they still look like better made zodiac series which were priced at only ¥200,000 and has discounts at stores.

Edited by freakman

Those are all way to rich for me, maybe there will be some special lower end models like a VP or something. Maybe a 743/823 in special colors...

I like the attention to detail -- the ripples on the water next to the nanban galleon (for the pen with the clip) look very much like cherry bark patterns.

For me though the best Pilot anniversary pen is still the 90th anniversary -- understated and elegant.

Maybe this set is intended for certain special individuals.

I'm sure some of the other models will be more reasonable. Will attract strong buyer interest. Should get your pens quickly.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

I'm glad that I didn't want for the 100th anniversary pens and bought the goldfish. I don't like the seven gods series, Yukari model (the cheapest one) isn't that great and emperor is strictly okay. They did a far better job on their 95th Anniversary editions.

So, I'm a bit confused. The only one I can imagine possibly affording (if I sell several pens) is the Founding Centennial Fountain Pen "Fuji and Meiji Maru". But there are two pens under there. Is the 150k yen price for both, or just one of them (that is, is it a set, or do you choose one)?

I also noticed it's got a number 10 nib. It sounds like it's similar in size to a Custom 74 or Custom 912? Somewhere in that range?

Just so we're clear - the non-maki-e pens are announced on the 13th. These aren't the full offerings.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm not really a fan of any of these designs--they're gorgeous, but of the two I could possibly afford, I didn't fall in love with either. Too much gold for my taste.

I'll be interested to see what the non-maki-e offerings look like. I'm still hoping for something in an exciting urushi (e.g.: the Vermillion Custom 845 that's restricted to that one shop in Tokyo) in a decent size. The M90 was a fantastic pen, but too slim for me.

So, I'm a bit confused. The only one I can imagine possibly affording (if I sell several pens) is the Founding Centennial Fountain Pen "Fuji and Meiji Maru". But there are two pens under there. Is the 150k yen price for both, or just one of them (that is, is it a set, or do you choose one)?

I also noticed it's got a number 10 nib. It sounds like it's similar in size to a Custom 74 or Custom 912? Somewhere in that range?

The smaller one with the number 10 nib costs 150,000 Yen, and the larger costs 1,000,000 Yen. It should be a Namiki Yukari line - you can see the specs goulet lists on that pen here: https://www.gouletpens.com/products/namiki-yukari-royale-urushi-fountain-pen-black

Edit: the size 50 nib would be Namiki Emperor, see here for specs: https://www.gouletpens.com/products/namiki-emperor-maki-e-fountain-pen-murasaki-shikibu

Edited by Seiryuu