Last Resort!

chunya

I'm glad I drop in here pretty regularly. I am currently fighting a clean Taperite that doesn't want to let go of the section. I'll hit it every few days with some heat and a nudge. I figure it will come apart eventually. I just have to be patient.

I had a Parker 51 that once took me over a dozen tries across a month before it came apart.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chunya

• JonSzanto

• Ron Z

• Seney724

I'm glad I drop in here pretty regularly. I am currently fighting a clean Taperite that doesn't want to let go of the section. I'll hit it every few days with some heat and a nudge. I figure it will come apart eventually. I just have to be patient.

And I just took possession of a Waterman Starlet ('ladies' version of the Stalwart) which certainly has a delicate barrel and is in very nice condition. If the section doesn't come out easily it will be another test of my patience.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Be patient with heat. I have smoked and burned a couple of vintage Waterman barrels with heat.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Be patient with heat. I have smoked and burned a couple of vintage Waterman barrels with heat.

Thanks, so have I in the past .... and the pen is all sorted now

Gary. Waterman Taperites are in a class by themselves. One of the cases where I'd like to meet the engineers who designed them just so that I can slap them.

Early on in the business I had a client at the NYC show who wanted a Taperite restored. It was a treat to open, as they all are. When I handed the restored pen back to the owner he turned to his friend and said, "You owe me a beer,"

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Gary. Waterman Taperites are in a class by themselves. One of the cases where I'd like to meet the engineers who designed them just so that I can slap them.

Early on in the business I had a client at the NYC show who wanted a Taperite restored. It was a treat to open, as they all are. When I handed the restored pen back to the owner he turned to his friend and said, "You owe me a beer,"

I can only laugh this hard because I know what this means. Ron, you were probably the first to alert me to the fact that my Taperite failures weren't actually my fault. One of the photos I'll always remember is the guy who was gripping the barrel in his hand while trying to remove the section. Simply holding onto the pen, he ended up crushing the barrel into a hundred pieces, the plastic had become so brittle. I've often wondered if the adhesive used on the sections was the precursor to Gorilla Glue!

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

One of the worst pens for me is also one of my favorite pens - Esterbrook Deluxe LK. What I have found is that the temperature where the metal threads are willing to release the section is somewhat higher than the softening temperature of the section itself. I've ruined more of these pens, including a couple stickered NOS ones, than any other pen.

One of the worst pens for me is also one of my favorite pens - Esterbrook Deluxe LK. What I have found is that the temperature where the metal threads are willing to release the section is somewhat higher than the softening temperature of the section itself. I've ruined more of these pens, including a couple stickered NOS ones, than any other pen.

Instead of using a pair of section pliers, use a piece of fuel line hose slit down the side. Slide the piece of hose up to the barrel edge, warm the barrel and use a pair of slip joint pliers to grip the hose - put the slit right in the middle between the jaws please. The hose will block the heat, and will give you a good grip on the section.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.