The First Fp I Owned... Kaweco Brass Sport

Eric2018

This is the first FP I owned since last year.

Yes, I'm a newbie in FP...

That would be difficult to explain why I select a short pen for the first pen, maybe it's only, stylistic?!

My priority on choosing FP will always be given to simple handsome design, now I own about 10 FPs.

(That's nice as pens with simple designs are mostly likely to be more affordable, huh?)

LvpmHsV.jpg

Back to the Brass Sport, Kaweco did a great job!

The pen is heavy, really quite heavy, so it's very sturdy. As an EDC pen, I could simply carry it with jeans, ( even together with keys and coins, no worry at all. ) All the scratches are nothing to this brass surface, wonderful.

The nib is extra fine (as my wife's initial is EF), so it makes my first pen more meaningful. Writing with the nib is very smooth and the line written is not that fine actually. Although it is not a big nib, it is beautifully made and the finishing is gorgeous. I bought it from a UK site, tigerpens (now closed??), with free laser engraving.....

I tried different aluminium and plastic sports on hand, none of them is my cup of tea. So I only choose from Steel and Brass. 1/2. Turn up the vintage look wins.

UwEOSQW.jpg

About inking, I admit that the mini converter is still too small, so I use the cartridge instead, and Kaweco's Paradise Blue is really sight catching. Before, I tried the Diamine ink, but the feel is not so smooth that making too much feedback I may say. After I change back to the cartridge, everything is smooth again. (so I will try some Iroshuzuku later maybe)

I get the clip also, yes, because it is really handsome for the vintage chrome clip with the chrome nib in the brass bed, but as a pocket pen, the clip is really, not necessary. As the pen is heavy, by no means I'll clip it on my shirt. Anyway, the clip is kept idle in the drawer...

Cleaning. If the pen is idle for a long time, the surface will have some rust that makes the pen oxidised and dirty. Yet after some cleaning with Brasso, the super shiny new pen will be back instantly.

Conclusion. Believe it or not, that'd be really difficult for me to buy another Kaweco pen I think, because I guess I have the best Kaweco pen already. I totally love this pen.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheDutchGuy

• RayOski1

• JRWhite

• Eric2018

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. I have 2 of these and it’s my pen of choice on weekends and for travel. I don’t use the clip. I also like the patina of oxidation. The converter is awful. I use a cartridge and refill using a syringe.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the post. I agree, this is a great little pen for everyday use. I picked up a brass sport as a workhorse/travel pen about four months ago and have yet to put any of my previous go-to, more expensive pens in my pocket on a more regular basis than this one. I love the weight, the responsiveness and, as noted above, the patina that comes from regular use. I'm now looking into a Kaweco Dia2.

I'm now looking into a Kaweco Dia2.

The Dia2 is a very high quality pen, very well built. Many people (incuding me) think that, aesthetically, the nib is too small. Also I'd advise against buying one untried, unless you can return the pen if you don't like it. I've seen quite a few unpleasant nibs in this particular model - basically I'd say the quality of the nib increases as the nib size decreases. Mostly baby's bottom and drag.