Skipping Lamy Safari

y_bauluck

Hi,

Hope someone might help me with an issue I am having with my Lamy Safari. It has been writing perfectly for the past 6-7 years, accompanying me during my university days and writing so many essays and exams with it.

Sadly it seems to be skipping every now and then, have to shake it quite vigorously to get it to write. This can be quite annoying during meetings, not to mention the risk of drops of ink landing on the floor, to such an extent that it now rest in a drawer at home. The same problem occurs whether it is with cartridges or a converter. Used different inks in the pen such as Waterman, Lamy (cartridge), Parker, Sheaffer and lately J Herbin Larme de Cassis. I think those can be considered as "safe" ink.

Even swapped the nib from medium to broad but it just made it worse in my opinion.

Can my trusty Safari be recovered from this problem?

I would really like to carry on using it for many more years.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• y_bauluck

• TheDutchGuy

• mitto

• Brianm_14

Some general steps you might consider can be found here. Based on the info you provide, I'd first thoroughly flush the nib, feed and section and then soak those parts overnight in a mild detergent solution. Then flush thoroughly again with clean water and allow to dry. That should solve it (assuming that the nib and feed are undamaged).

Thank you. I pulled the nib and cleaned the section under running water and left it to soak in a glass with some dishwashing detergent overnight. Amazingly while under running water there was only clear water running through the section; this morning I observed that the water had a purplish tint to it.

Seems to be writing much better now.

Thank you.

Depending on the age of the pen and the kind of ink used in it, it might take more than one overnight soaking to fully clean it. Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Most of us have had the surprise of seeing further ink extraction from the pen after a dilute detergent soak!

It might also take a soak in plain (non-sudsy) household ammonia solution, diluted one part ammonia solution to about 8 or 9 parts water. You may have to buy ammonia solution at a drugstore (chemist) depending on local regulations. But it is a powerful pen cleaner and ink remover, while still being fairly mild with respect to pen parts. A soak of several hours to overnight is sufficient. I usually start with a shorter, several-hour soak, and repeat with an overnight soak later, if nevessary.

Most commercial fountain pen cleaners are ammonia based. In some regions, these may be the best option. Follow the directions carefully!

After using dilute ammonia cleaner, always flush thoroughly with cool water, and follow with a cleaning with mild detergent in water, a soak, and a thorough rinse.

My grandfather, a lumberjack, dairy farmer, supervising mechanic on the assembly line for several auto manufacturers in the 1920s, and more, and a very wise man in practical matters, gave me my first fountain pens. He instructed me to rinse them a few times with body--temperature water between each filling, even if I was using the same ink. After four or five fillings, he was adamant that pen needed the overnight dilute ammonia treatment -again, irrespective of whether or not the same or a different ink was to be used next. I have to say, when I followed his instructions, I had no issues with the feed of any fountain pen. Today, I am sure he'd endorse the use of good dish detergents like Dawn.

More and more, I find myself using his old plan.

Brian