Nib Help?

mtbradley

Can someone tell me which esterbrook nib (preferably 9000 series) would be best for writing in this style? Medium stub (9314), maybe? Ordinarily I would think Hebrew or Architect, but none of their nibs are described that way.

post-115418-0-44857500-1536375310.jpeg

Edited by mtbradley

Currently: Sailor Pro Gear Black/Rhodium M/F with Sailor Jentle Black; Sailor Pro Gear Yellow/Rhodium M/F with Diamine Sargasso Sea; Sailor Pro Gear Slim Sky Demonstrator/Rhodium M with Sailor Jentle Blue; Sailor Pro Gear Apres Ski M with Robert Oster Grey Seas; Sheaffer Touchdown Imperial VIII M with Diamine Asa Blue; Lamy AL-star Ocean Blue M with Private Reserve DC Supershow Blue; Lamy Safari Red F with Sheaffer Skrip Red for grading papers; Lamy Safari Neon Yellow F with Diamine Kelly Green; Esterbrook J Blue 9668 with Noodlers Ottoman Azure; Esterbrook J Red 9668 with Diamine Red Dragon; Esterbrook J Copper 2668 with Diamine Ancient Copper; Esterbrook J Gray 9668 with Robert Oster Stormy Seas; TWSBI Vac700R M with Robert Oster Grey Seas; Noodler's Ahab Clear Demonstrator M with Diamine Midnight; Kaweco Skyline Sport M with Diamine Grey; Faber-Castell Goldfaber 1221 HB and Tombow Mono HB

"Reading maketh a full man; conference a ready man; and writing an exact man." Francis Bacon, Of Studies

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mtbradley

• pajaro

• Ron Z

• Bo Bo Olson

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And in case it matters, I’m a left handed overwriter (or hooker, as some call it).

Currently: Sailor Pro Gear Black/Rhodium M/F with Sailor Jentle Black; Sailor Pro Gear Yellow/Rhodium M/F with Diamine Sargasso Sea; Sailor Pro Gear Slim Sky Demonstrator/Rhodium M with Sailor Jentle Blue; Sailor Pro Gear Apres Ski M with Robert Oster Grey Seas; Sheaffer Touchdown Imperial VIII M with Diamine Asa Blue; Lamy AL-star Ocean Blue M with Private Reserve DC Supershow Blue; Lamy Safari Red F with Sheaffer Skrip Red for grading papers; Lamy Safari Neon Yellow F with Diamine Kelly Green; Esterbrook J Blue 9668 with Noodlers Ottoman Azure; Esterbrook J Red 9668 with Diamine Red Dragon; Esterbrook J Copper 2668 with Diamine Ancient Copper; Esterbrook J Gray 9668 with Robert Oster Stormy Seas; TWSBI Vac700R M with Robert Oster Grey Seas; Noodler's Ahab Clear Demonstrator M with Diamine Midnight; Kaweco Skyline Sport M with Diamine Grey; Faber-Castell Goldfaber 1221 HB and Tombow Mono HB

"Reading maketh a full man; conference a ready man; and writing an exact man." Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Can someone tell me which esterbrook nib (preferably 9000 series) would be best for writing in this style? Medium stub (9314), maybe? Ordinarily I would think Hebrew or Architect, but none of their nibs are described that way. And in case it matters, I'm a left handed overwriter (or hooker, as some call it). I've cross-posted this in the Esterbrook forum. I hope that's ok.

post-115418-0-26674500-1536410732.jpeg

Edited by mtbradley

From memory 1xxx was the first rolled steel nib, not very lasting. The 2xxx better rolled steel nib was rated about 1 1/2 years of constant 8 hour a writing............should last decades in our now lack of real use days.

The 9XXX were the much more expensive 'iridium' tipped nibs made to last like all other brands some 7-10 years of constant full day writing.

The 8xxx nibs were much prettier 9xxx nibs. Pretty does cost a hell of a lot more. In Esterbrook was an Upper Lower Class to Lowest Middle Class pen, the rarer 8XXX nibs are expensive.

Back when Esties went for @ $15 and 2xxx nibs for $8; 9xx@ $12, a rare 8xxx nib alone was going for @ $20-25.

Having gotten rid of 10 Esties some 5-6 years ago, keeping only a Copper DJ and a blue LJ, have forgotten what nibs are what. But that can be found on the Esterbrook subsection. There they can link you to the very many Esterbrook nibs.....

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

IMO, cross posting is rarely helpful. It is discouraged because you end up with disconnected answers.

I don't know of any Esterbrook nibs that will produce the Hebrew characters. That is a rather unique nib. You might consider buying a broad nib, and then having someone like Linda Kennedy grind it to the profile you want. A 9314B or a 9284 would do the trick. Or you could buy a gold nib, have it tipped to what you want and fit it into an Esterbrook collar. Some of the Sheaffer nibs would work.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Thanks Ron. Very helpful.

If you're looking for a nib with a Hebrew / Architect grind - and if it doesn't *have* to be an Esterbrook - I'd recommend checking out fpnibs.com. They have a growing range of nib options (Lamy, JoWo, Kaweco, just to name a few), and are happy to custom grind any nib they sell for a *very* competitive price. Architect grinds are more challenging, because they have to conform to the way you hold your pen - but I've ordered 3 or 4 now from Pablo at fpnibs.com, and he's done a fantastic job each time [he requested, and I provided, a photograph of my hand holding a pen, to get the angle right].

I am a left handed overwriter. I like the 9460 in mediums. It is a medium manifold. Writes a bit drier than other mediums, especially drier than the 9314-M Relief nib, which is a left oblique medium stubby nib. Left oblique is cut like the slant of the toes of your left foot. The 2312/9312 medium italic is another one I like. The 2312 is probably the better one to use. Not too wet, so I like it.

If you like mediums you might like the other Esterbrook mediums, but they are like other makers' mediums, and often too wet for me. I don't care for running my hand into a lot of wet ink. Of course, you can try to rein it in with drier inks. Pelikan 4001 inks, for example.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Merged the topics.

Hope the location is OK?

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

After reading through this merged thread, I don't think any economical Esterbrook nib is likely to do. If you can't find one, and have to have one made by retipping and grinding, it will be fairly expensive, so make sure you are comfortable with the pen it goes in.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Just for chuckles, I did a search on eBay for "osmiroid esterbrook". The earlier Osmiroid nibs fit Esterbrook holders, and they're more slanted towards calligraphy writing. There were some left-oblique ones also. So, I'd say give that a try.

Does left-handed overwriting favor the left-oblique or the right?

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

Merged the topics.

Hope the location is OK?

D.ick

Yes! Thank you!

Thanks for the input, all. I've found over time that my Sailors are my favorites, but I can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on a pen dedicated to writing in Hebrew. My Esterbrooks are in regular rotation and just work so well that I thought it would be nice to have one for writing in Hebrew whenever I need to. But I don't write in Hebrew every day (but maybe if I spent the money I would? That's the kind of thinking/justifying we live on, isn't it?).

Anyway. Thanks again, all!