Help To Identify This Montblanc Cigar Shape Model

Chris26

Hello everyone, Some one could tell me which MB model is this pen? it may be a 146 or a 149 ? maybe other one? thank you for your answers. :wub:

post-133475-0-07230900-1536317879_thumb.jpg

post-133475-0-78315100-1536317912_thumb.jpg

post-133475-0-45217200-1536317928_thumb.jpg

post-133475-0-38587600-1536317952_thumb.jpg

post-133475-0-44657000-1536318014_thumb.jpg

post-133475-0-58862200-1536318049_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chris26

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chris26

• Freddy

• zaddick

• adim

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

it is a 146.

How do you know it? could you tell me what is difference apart from the size? it is different the shape too? thanks

Edited by Chris26

How do you know it? could you tell me what is difference apart from the size? it is different the shape too? thanks

While I cannot comment on older models, at least in the newer ones it is quite obvious the size looking at the proportion of the star on the top of the cap, see here, for example.

Also, the nib duotone pattern is like this in the 149. Again, there might be older models with that pattern you posted, but today, that's used in the 146.

Hello everyone, Some one could tell me which MB model is this pen? it may be a 146 or a 149 ? maybe other one? thank you for your answers. :wub:

What is engraved on the cap band?

A:

Fred

Redacting: Did you download the Barry G. article on the 149?

Edited by Freddy

What is engraved on the cap band?

A:

Fred

I do not know it, because there is no pic of the number engraved on the cap on the ad.

Edited by Chris26

I do not know it, because there is no pic of the number engraved on the cap on the ad.

As noted earlier by Jar....lacks images to say what it is with any assurance.

You could request from the seller more images....the advertisement is lacking clear photographs of cap ring..

blind cap threads....plastic/metal.......ink vue................clip

Fred

Edited by Freddy

thank you for all your answers, the seller say that there is no number in the cap ring as you Fred suggested, he provide me a serial number that my help to know which model it is the pen?

Edited by Chris26

Unfortunately the serial number doesn't help. Sadly I have handled a few 149s without the model number on the cap ring. The top photo makes it look chunkier, and more like a 149, the rest seem to have the proportions of a 146. If you have the measurements then that should nail it.... but pretty sure it's a 146.

Looks like the pen is a MB 146. There is any difference between the MB146 and the MB 146 Le Grand?

No. "Le Grand" is its name, 146 is like a code number, meaning 1 = top of the line (hence Meisterstück), 4 = piston filler, 6 = nib size.

Ok I got it, it is like Waterman code somehow 52, 54, 55, 56, 58 etc, or 12, 13, 14, 15, etc,... so the same happens to the MB 142, 144, 145, 146, 147, 149, etc thanks a lot to all.

Edited by Chris26

146...fairly modern.

149 has different proportions ;-)

Cheers

Michael

+1

Never been a 149 with a nib like that.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

No. "Le Grand" is its name, 146 is like a code number, meaning 1 = top of the line (hence Meisterstück), 4 = piston filler, 6 = nib size.

+1 The nib looks like a fine, but more experienced members can chime in please.

"Storyteller, unfold thy words untold!"

Yeah, I'd say modern 146, judging by overall proportions* and nib.

Nib could be F, or even EF. Altogether, it looks like a nice pen.

But, if I was interested in buying it, I'd need a lot more information, before I parted with my readies.

Good luck.

*(too slender for a 149?)

Never been a 149 with a nib like that.

My late 80s/early 90s 149 has this nib (albeit larger in size).

To the OP: it's a 146 - the piston knob and the cap end are more slender and elongated-looking than on a 149 which is more stocky and bulbous. In fact on a 149 you can hardly see the star on the cap when viewing from the side. The end of the 146 looks more like a bottle of Iced Magic with the points of the star being seen from the side.

http://aspoonfulofsugarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/icemagic.jpg

"Truth can never be told, so as to be understood, and not be believ'd." (Wiiliam Blake)

Visit my review: Thirty Pens in Thirty Days

Hello Soapytwist. There were #9 nibs with that color pattern and stamped 14K in the 1980s, but the stampings were different. The scroll work should be the biggest difference. If you have a 149 nib with that scroll work like the 146 I'd appreciate a photo.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!