For The Love Of Fountain Pens...

mtbradley

A couple of quick stories about how my FP week is going so far...

On Monday I spent the day in the country. Just a day-long retreat to get away and think. My pen for the day was a nice clean blue Esterbrook J with Noodler's Ottoman Azure. The shirt I was wearing didn't have a pocket, so I was clipping the pen through the front of my button up shirt. It was a good day, but I didn't get home until about 9pm. As I sat down to my desk to wrap a few things up for the day, I pulled my pen from my shirt only to discover it was just a cap. I froze. I know Esties aren't expensive, but this one was mine. And very clean. And a favorite. I searched my car and everywhere I'd been in the house three times. Nothing. I had stopped for gas about 45 minutes from home. I wondered if it fell out there. I called but got no answer. I debated getting in the car and driving back to the station. I checked my car and the house again. At this point I was angry. I told my wife I was going back to the station and I got in the car and left. 45 minutes later I arrived. Nothing. The place I spent the day was another 45 minutes away, so I decided why not. As I pulled onto the property, I pulled out a flashlight and started retracing my steps from the end of my time there. By now it was midnight. About a minute into my search, there it was! Sitting in the grass in the yard in front of the house! It was already covered in dew. I picked it up, dried it off with a kleenex and checked the inside for moisture. It was dry. Pen found. Crisis averted. I climbed back into bed around 1:15am and slept like a log. The things we'll do! (or is it just me?)

Among other things I teach Theology and Greek at a local liberal arts college. Many of my students are FPgeeks as well and the ones that aren't want to be. I've got a Pilot Metropolitan that I never use, so I thought I'd take it in and give it away to a student who's interested. It turns out two were interested. Oops. So I figured I would just buy another Metro and give it to the second student. Before I could place my order though, a previous order from Goulet arrived on my doorstep. Instead of one package, as expected, there were two. And the second package, though addressed to me, wasn't my order. I emailed Goulet to let them know. They were already aware of it, had already re-issued the order to the correct address, and told me to keep the package. Inside? A Metro with a converter and a bottle of Noodler's X-Feather. Seriously? So the second student will be getting a pen and ink this week as well. I tell my students "first hit's free". :^)

Currently: Sailor Pro Gear Black/Rhodium M/F with Sailor Jentle Black; Sailor Pro Gear Yellow/Rhodium M/F with Diamine Sargasso Sea; Sailor Pro Gear Slim Sky Demonstrator/Rhodium M with Sailor Jentle Blue; Sailor Pro Gear Apres Ski M with Robert Oster Grey Seas; Sheaffer Touchdown Imperial VIII M with Diamine Asa Blue; Lamy AL-star Ocean Blue M with Private Reserve DC Supershow Blue; Lamy Safari Red F with Sheaffer Skrip Red for grading papers; Lamy Safari Neon Yellow F with Diamine Kelly Green; Esterbrook J Blue 9668 with Noodlers Ottoman Azure; Esterbrook J Red 9668 with Diamine Red Dragon; Esterbrook J Copper 2668 with Diamine Ancient Copper; Esterbrook J Gray 9668 with Robert Oster Stormy Seas; TWSBI Vac700R M with Robert Oster Grey Seas; Noodler's Ahab Clear Demonstrator M with Diamine Midnight; Kaweco Skyline Sport M with Diamine Grey; Faber-Castell Goldfaber 1221 HB and Tombow Mono HB

"Reading maketh a full man; conference a ready man; and writing an exact man." Francis Bacon, Of Studies

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mtbradley

• ThomasB

• Bo Bo Olson

• Pensei

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonderful stories. Sounds like you are having a pretty good week, all things considered.

“ I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”  Alan Greenspan

That was an awesome anecdote, thanks for sharing, I would definetly do the same for one of my own pens. The God's of Pens rewarded you for saving that poor Esterbrook who was thought left behind... but you save it honorably. (Excuse my english since it's my second language)

Cheers to you and the lucky students.

Luis A.

Good for you for returning to rescue your Estie J. I don't often lose things, but when I do, it makes me nuts. A few weeks ago I lost a Kuru Toga pencil at a reception following a baptism. Fortunately, those are inexpensive and easily replaced at Staples, so I didn't sweat it too much. Still gave me a "grrr..." moment.

Here's hoping your Estie rewards you with many years of service.

Happiness is an Indian ED!

Wonderful stories. Sounds like you are having a pretty good week, all things considered.

What I failed to mention is on Monday my Sailor Pro Gear Slim Sky demonstrator arrived. So yes! A good week so far!

Currently: Sailor Pro Gear Black/Rhodium M/F with Sailor Jentle Black; Sailor Pro Gear Yellow/Rhodium M/F with Diamine Sargasso Sea; Sailor Pro Gear Slim Sky Demonstrator/Rhodium M with Sailor Jentle Blue; Sailor Pro Gear Apres Ski M with Robert Oster Grey Seas; Sheaffer Touchdown Imperial VIII M with Diamine Asa Blue; Lamy AL-star Ocean Blue M with Private Reserve DC Supershow Blue; Lamy Safari Red F with Sheaffer Skrip Red for grading papers; Lamy Safari Neon Yellow F with Diamine Kelly Green; Esterbrook J Blue 9668 with Noodlers Ottoman Azure; Esterbrook J Red 9668 with Diamine Red Dragon; Esterbrook J Copper 2668 with Diamine Ancient Copper; Esterbrook J Gray 9668 with Robert Oster Stormy Seas; TWSBI Vac700R M with Robert Oster Grey Seas; Noodler's Ahab Clear Demonstrator M with Diamine Midnight; Kaweco Skyline Sport M with Diamine Grey; Faber-Castell Goldfaber 1221 HB and Tombow Mono HB

"Reading maketh a full man; conference a ready man; and writing an exact man." Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Good for you for returning to rescue your Estie J. I don't often lose things, but when I do, it makes me nuts. A few weeks ago I lost a Kuru Toga pencil at a reception following a baptism. Fortunately, those are inexpensive and easily replaced at Staples, so I didn't sweat it too much. Still gave me a "grrr..." moment.

Here's hoping your Estie rewards you with many years of service.

Yes! Pencils! They aren't expensive but I hate losing them. At least it will sometimes give me an excuse to place an order with cwpencils.

That was an awesome anecdote, thanks for sharing, I would definetly do the same for one of my own pens. The God's of Pens rewarded you for saving that poor Esterbrook who was thought left behind... but you save it honorably. (Excuse my english since it's my second language)

Cheers to you and the lucky students.

Luis A.

Thanks Luis! And you're English is just fine. Have a great day!

I've had the same experience several times...as I wear ringtops one could argue that I'm just asking for it. Sadly, several prized pens vanished for good and all, so I'm glad you were able to continue the search until you got lucky.

Glad you were stubborn. It could have been replaced, but sometimes money ain't time.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Was it the love of the lost pen or was it the annoyance at yourself that, by the change in circumstances, you had lost an Estie in a seemingly silly way that made you go back and look for the pen?

I reckon the second reason was more dominant in your mind. I know that the second reason would be dominant for me, even for an easily replaceable Estie.

A good night's sleep is worth it. But things always look better in the morning.

I have losing pens. Even cheap ones. I misplaced my first "good" pen (a cobalt blue Parker Vector) in my house for something like ten months, and then found it in a desk drawer when I was looking for something else (I had put it down while dong something else and had forgotten where I'd put it).

Glad to know your story has a happy ending -- unfortunately in a few cases I have NOT been so lucky....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Great story! I had a similar experience with a Pelikan Renaissance Brown, which was almost brand new. Fortunately, i didn't get far before I realized it was missing, and I was able to retrace my steps easily. But there is that sickening feeling in the pit of your stomach when you realize that it's gone.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Was it the love of the lost pen or was it the annoyance at yourself that, by the change in circumstances, you had lost an Estie in a seemingly silly way that made you go back and look for the pen?

I reckon the second reason was more dominant in your mind. I know that the second reason would be dominant for me, even for an easily replaceable Estie.

A good night's sleep is worth it. But things always look better in the morning.

Good question! I think a little of both. The idea of spending money to replace something I had and lost irks me. And the cap sitting on my desk without a pen in it was driving me bonkers! It was either go find the pen or put the cap in drawer somewhere that I wouldn't be forced to look at it.