Re-Starting A Poor-Writing Pen

Precise

I'll bet many of you have been doing this for years, but I've just begun to do it.

Many of my pens start writing non-uniform, skipping or running dry, even when there's some ink left. I used to store them nib down for a day, but the maneuver below gives immediate results. I've done it away from home.

I watch the feed and carefully back off the filler knob (piston or converter) until I see a tiny bit of fresh ink at the root of the feed.

That's it!

Alan

Edited by Precise

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Precise

• Freddy

• minddance

• Bo Bo Olson

I'll bet many of you have been doing this for years, but I've just begun to do it.

Many of my pens start writing non-uniform, skipping or running dry, even when there's some ink left. I used to store them nib down for a day, but the maneuver below gives immediate results. I've done it away from home.

I watch the feed and carefully back off the filler knob (piston or converter) until I see a tiny bit of fresh ink at the root of the feed.

That's it!

Alan

Alan..Can't say I do this. All pens that I write with do not have any of the issues you mention above.

Fred

Hi Fred,

What are your pens? And how many are currently inked?

Thanks,

Alan

Alan..Can't say I do this. All pens that I write with do not have any of the issues you mention above.

Fred

In my JIFs, short of swiping the nib under running water, I'll pull the cartridge, turn it upside down and stick the nib into the opening for a couple of seconds, then re-seat the cart. That's usually enough to get it and keep it going until it sits unused again for a couple days.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Interesting choices. I have probably done all of that. I usually just refill the pen from the bottle. Cartridge pens, dip nib in ink. I carried more than one pen when I was working.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I don’t mean to pile on here. We’re here to help, but you shouldn’t have to be going through all that to write with your pen.

It would help us a lot to know what pens you are using, how often you write with them, frequency of cleaning, as well as the inks used.

I don’t mean to pile on here. We’re here to help, but you shouldn’t have to be going through all that to write with your pen.

It would help us a lot to know what pens you are using, how often you write with them, frequency of cleaning, as well as the inks used.

I have to do this sometimes with pens which are about half full and used daily.

We’re here to help..................

1. What pens are you using?{ specificity }

2. How often you write with them? { specificity }

3. Frequency of cleaning? { specificity }

4. Inks used? { specificity }

Redacting: Have the feed/nibs been modified..if so..how were they altered and by whom? 2:37 am EST

This is not an answer............But..Precise.......'Tis your prerogative.................

Posted 05 September 2018 - 21:13

Old Salt, on 05 Sept 2018 - 18:57, said:snapback.png

I have to do this sometimes with pens which are about half full and used daily.

Still your friend and mine..
Fred
......a horse is a horse..of course of course..
and this one will talk 'till his voice is hoarse.
You never heard of a talking horse?
Well.. listen to this.............
I am Mister Ed
Edited by Freddy

I did this today with a converter pen which was writing stingy. But I slowly backed the knob until it hit bottom and nothing reached the feed. It was empty, but a film of ink in the converter barrel had fooled me into thinking it was 1/3 full.

Converters being too narrow often have vapor lock. They need a plastic, or steel ball or a bit of a ball point spring or such.

Piston pens should not have vapor lock....and should never need to be fiddled with like a balky converter.

If a cartridge don't solve converter problems...I don't know what the problems are. One pen perhaps but not all of your pens.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 3 weeks later...

Many of you have written that you find no need for this. Since my original post, I've done this 4 or 5 more times. Here are some possible reasons why I must do this often:

1. I carry a pen in my shirt pocket, nib up.

2. I have over 20 pens inked now. I know, that's tooooo many.

3. My nibs are all F width, which may dry faster than wider widths.

4. I like a pen on the dry side. So I tune my nibs accordingly and often use Pelikan ink, my dryest.

5. The humidity is low here in the San Francisco Bay Area.

But I do try to set aside pens which have poor cap seals. So in some cases, my need to push some ink is just that it hasn't fed properly, not that it has evaporated.

Alan

I have had to do a lot of this stuff whether living in Florida or here in southern Michigan. I often thought I shouldn't have to, but it was simpler to refill the pen I would use each day. There are some ppens I don't have to do this to, and I have come to rely on them and relegate the other pens to zip lock bags and boxes. Some pens are better designed, and a lot of the better designed ones are old, like Parker 51 aerometrics, Sheaffer Imperials from the 60s and Montblancs from the 80s and 90s and 21st century Pelikans. A lot of the mid-century pens are among the best.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Pajaro wrote, "but it was simpler to refill the pen". But of course it's a nice trick to have away from home. Before I learned this I had to stoop to borrow a ballpoint. argh

But now that I've done this enough times, it takes seconds. So even at home, it's simpler for me than a refill.

Alan

Edited by Precise

I don't usually use cartridges because they have dried or evaporated too soon. But recently I started two pens with cartridges, just to test for that. Both pens got too dry after a few days - with nearly full cartridges. But I pinched the cartridges between my thumb and forefinger and it restored good flow.

Incidentally, to wash cartridge pens, I've used an ear syringe (with rubber bulb) to push some water through the feed. The plastic nozzle on my ear syringe fits to cartridge nipple.

Alan

That's it!

Alan

Could you give us a list of what pens they are please?

These two pens are:

Duke 559 (push cap) with Diamine cartridge

Jean Lepine (also push cap) with dbl length Pelikan 4001 cartridge

These are both heavy pens with a brass "chassis". I had not used them for years because they are heavier than I had liked. But I've had a recent change of heart and like heavy pens at home (I still carry lighter pens). So I grabbed these two. At the same time I thought I'd also give cartridges another chance. The Lepine gave no choice, they don't take converters easily.

Alan