Sheaffer Finds In The Wild

crescentfiller

Here are some Sheaffers I recently found in the wild.

I don't collect Sheaffers, but when they turn up, what is one to do .....?

post-36832-0-40113300-1536080631_thumb.jpeg

post-36832-0-53292500-1536080647_thumb.jpeg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• crescentfiller

• Parker51

• inkstainedruth

• doggle2

I don't collect Sheaffers, but when they turn up, what is one to do .....?

You should pass them along to me, at cost! :lol:

Congrats, that is quite the finding!

I have never even come close to finding anything like that!

You should pass them along to me, at cost! :lol:

Congrats, that is quite the finding!

I have never even come close to finding anything like that!

Well Lam1, They're out there! So keep looking and you may just hit paydirt!

Wow. Nice haul. Those metal body ones in particular are quite striking. The one on the far right has an overlay very similar to that on a couple of Morrison ringtops I have (which is similar to that on some vintage Watermans I've seen).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Ruth, the metal pens are early and rather nice. All are in amazingly fine condition, so I doubt they ever saw much use.

The little filigree has the slightly raised metalwork much like you see on some of the early Waterman's. I've not seen any Morrison pens like this, so perhaps you could share a photo or two.

Sure thing. Not sure which one this is (I have two -- one with a really juicy nib that I think might be a B, and one with an F). I keep hoping that some day I'll be able to find one with the overlay in sterling silver for some relatively affordable price (this and its fraternal twin have gold-filled overlays). I think someone told me that they are probably from the 1920s or 30s. Other than the nib, the only difference between the two pens is that when the second one (with the F nib) got put into working condition, the repair person accidentally crushed the section and had to glue it back together for me.... So it doesn't see a lot of use (I'm worried about the fragility). Of course neither leaves the house, after I almost lost the business end of the first Morrison three times in the space of a day and a half (including it falling onto the concrete floor of a parking garage -- fortunately, it didn't land nib down any of those times -- because it likes to unscrew itself from the cap while I have it on the lanyard.

fpn_1536281125__img_0460.jpg

fpn_1536281239__img_0463.jpg

I have a sneaking suspicion that the friend who talked me into buying the first one might have *thought* it was a Waterman....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Wow, I have never found any pens that old, that valuable, in that condition in the wild, congratulations!

Same as above, I have only found an $150 Crest set, lever fill with triumph nibs, severely overpriced for what it was, and a $100 vac tuckaway in blue, also ridiculously overpriced.

Nice little group of pens.

Out in the wild and the price is right I'll take a chance on a non Parker. [ I have to learn sometime. ]

Ken

I see a couple of Vacufil pens, so I suggest sending them to Garry Berg. He does excellent work, and now that he is retired he seems to have a slight bit more time.

Wow, I have never found any pens that old, that valuable, in that condition in the wild, congratulations!

Thanks. Of course, I've spent many, many hours in the wild!

Nice little group of pens.

Out in the wild and the price is right I'll take a chance on a non Parker. [ I have to learn sometime. ]

Ken

Yes, and it's hardly a chance when the price is really right!

The Parker Vacuum Filler Ripley I have posted over in the Parker section was only five bucks, so no gamble there!

Ruth, Those pens are quite nice! I doubt it would be too difficult to find another section--one from a non-overlay might work.

Here is a slightly better shot of the little Sheaffer filigree:

post-36832-0-55768700-1536335239_thumb.jpeg

T

Nice pens. Congrats. Enjoy writing with them.

Thanks Mitto,

Alas, I don't plan to keep any of them.

I have a few Snorkels and PFMS, and two Legacy pens, but these aren't really my thing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not sure where this belongs, but it didn't seem worthy of an individual thread.......A friend gifted me this set that belonged to her late husband. The nib appears to be a fine and it writes very smoothly and pleasantly. She said it was from from the 1960s. The case is plastic and has probably yellowed over the years.

fpn_1539109067__sheafferset1.jpg

fpn_1539109173__sheafferset2.jpg