Pen Peace

putteringpenman

My wife follows purses and bag forums, similar to how I follow fountain pen forums. Over on the purse forums they have a term called "Purse Peace" which is when you're satisfied with your purse collection and don't have a desire to buy anymore purses.

Well, I think I've reached "Pen Peace". With the combination of my Pilot Custom 823, Nemosine Singularity, and Platinum PTL-5000a, I'm satisfied with my pen collection. (I have 14 pens total but those 3 are in my regular rotation.) Between those three pens, I feel like all of my writing needs are met.

Has anyone else reached Pen Peace? What pens or life situations got you to peace with your pen collection?

Currently inked:

- Pilot Custom 743 <M> with Pilot Black

- Pelikan M120 Iconic Blue <B> with Pilot Blue

- Lamy Studio All Black <M> with Pilot Blue-Black

YouTube fountain pen reviews: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2qU4nlAfdZpQrSakktBMGg/videos

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• maclink

• inkstainedruth

• Estycollector

• como

I have been in "Pen Peace" several times over the years. I am not a collector per se, but do write a lot and like having a large handful of nice pens.

I have been on the hunt for a very special vintage pen that just surfaced this morning. If this deal comes to fruition, I just may be in pen peace again for quite awhile. But "quite awhile" will remain undefined.

OT: Why does my spellchecker want to correct peace to piece. Does it know something I don't. :huh:

“ I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”  Alan Greenspan

Grammar. It's thinking piece of a pen, not your peace with the pen. A surmise.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

Grammar. It's thinking piece of a pen, not your peace with the pen. A surmise.

Grammar - I knew I would come to regret sleeping through that one.

“ I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”  Alan Greenspan

I feel I'm very close to that point. I certainly don't need any more pens. Do we really need more than one?

The Montegrappa Extra in Bamboo keeps knocking around my head. Some days I think I'd love it, other days, not so much. It's been knocking around my head for just over two years now so I'm beginning to doubt I will ever commit.

Other than that there is nothing I desire in the pen world. I will still coo and drool over pens though and if Montblanc brings out anything in that black watered silk resin or anything to do with Richard Wagner then I may have to sell the other kidney and commit to weekly dialysis.

With 70....I almost have....out side of real pretty '30's Pelikan Tortoise pens.....and maybe a Toledo.

Psst...got the numbers for the next lottery?

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I've long been happy with my pen collection and have not actively sought to add to it for quite some time. However, I occasionally come across one that really speaks to me or am given one that I really like. For example, a relative recently gave me her Waterman, and I like it so much that it is now part of my everyday rotation. I doubt that I will actually buy a new pen though unless I come across a Sheaffer No Nonsense in a color that I don't already have.

I don't particularly wish for any additional pens (I have about 35), but I find there are a few Esterbrook nibs that I would like to own. The last one, a 9314-F came attached to a red desk pen that will fit nicely into the extral black eightball holder that I've had for about two years. Nibs like that seem to come with a pen for only a few dollars more. That said, I think I have all the pens I need, and perhaps all that I want.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

There might be something more I might like, but with about 200 pens, I feel sated. The few I use, Parker 51, Montblanc 144, Lamy 2000 and maybe a Sheaffer Imperial or two are pleasing to use. I feel no use for more pens. I know I will just keep using the few I use now.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I think Pen Peace may be closer to Pen Equilibrium, a very delicate balancing act. I was feeling not just at peace with all my pens, but was actually starting to pare away some of them to only have what I'd actually want inked at any one time.

And then my favourite pen got a crack. And now I must buy all the pens.

I have reached a pen armistice. The actual peace treaty has not been signed.

While I have no desire to buy any additional pens (somewhat to my surprise) I do have some unfinished repair or modifications on pens that I already own. I just sent my one Vacumatic out to have the filling system redone. And I dither over having nibs.com do a flex mod on my fine nibbed Platinum 3776 Century. There are a couple of actually broken pens that I might try to fix or have fixed. No hurry.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

I will reach pen peace when I find a nice P51 set in Plum at a decent price. Otherwise I am satisfied.

I will keep looking for strange colors in P45´s but these are not expensive, so just to keep the game going :lticaptd:

Not only have I sold a pen in the last month, but I have not bought one for nearly two months. I think I may have fought to a standstill, perhaps even a small retreat in the offing, after which peace may be at hand.

The test of that peace will arrive when I have repaired the last few I have in the workshop. That will be a while given some require parts (to be made).

X

In reviewing this thread I can't help but think that maybe we are being shortsighted with this quest for pen peace.

While pen peace does conger up warm and fuzzy sentiments, there is an entire global industry counting on us.

Do we really want to be co-conspirators in the demise of one of the worlds great art forms? Think of the children.

Yes, I know I was all hopped up on pen peace euphoria, but it simply comes at too high of a price.

Come on folks, let's get out there and buy some pens. Even if we don't need them and can't afford them. You know, business as usual.

Write with me now in big bold italic letters, "Yes we can, yes we can...."

Snorkel on my friends, snorkel on....

Peace is a process not an end point or location or status. Equilibrium (from the post above) is a good word for it, and never in perfect balance. Another step along the path...