I Love Pilot Elite E95S Fountain Pen, But…

ibrahim

I love Pilot Elite E95S Fountain Pen, but I wish it was a bit longer since I have long fingers. Its the right weight, right balance, classic look of a fountain pen, and I love how the cap slips off and on easily, no screws, which makes it a pen to go to immediately in order to jot a note or plunge into writing.

Are there other pens that have that classic design, long enough for my hand, and the cap slips off easily in order to get down to writing? Pens are tools for me and I wish for a pen to have it all so I can write and write and write.

And yes, Im familiar with Lamy 2000 as a good workhorse pen. What are some other recommendations, please? No screw caps please.

"I am human, and I think nothing human is alien to me." Terence

I share the humanity of people, I’m like the rest of everybody and certainly I’m not better or higher than anybody in anything, regardless of what they believe in or don’t believe in. What they experience is certainly not alien to me. I’m part of all people and they are part of me, interbeing, that is.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Honeybadgers

• hari317

• MomoShinChan

• SoulSamurai

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the slip-cap peens I can think of have metal bodies, so they might be too heavy for you. But have you thought of the Visconti brand, for example? The Van Gogh and the Rembrandt pens are beautiful to look at and are slip caps.

Also, the Parker Townsend is a slip cap and has that classic look (Viscontis are a bit more unique in their look).

For a really practical pen, though it is not for everybody, is the Pilot Vanishing Point. The nib is just a click away!

All of these are metal-bodied pens, so they might be too heavy for you. However, all have pretty good balance which, in my mind, is more important for not getting tired when writing.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Sailor Profit "B" nib running Van Dieman's Night - Shooting Star

Parker 45 (gold or steel nib) or sheaffer imperial (steel or gold nib) would be perfect fo you i suppose. You can not buy them brand new but there are plenty of those on ebay in good prices. i own both and i like them a lot (i prefer the parker 45 flighter. it is a little hevier but not too heavy in any stretch of the imagination)

Edited by fpgreeks

look into the wing sung 601. it's reasonably long, well balanced posted.

A pilot vanishing point,

The ohto tasche becomes very long when posted.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Have you thought about trying the Vanishing Point line? Also they are quite different from what you describe as your desired a pen, it never hurt to try out something new. Whether you like it or not, you have a better understanding of what qualities you are looking for in a fountain pen.

I love Pilot Elite E95S Fountain Pen, but I wish it was a bit longer since I have long fingers. Its the right weight, right balance, classic look of a fountain pen, and I love how the cap slips off and on easily, no screws, which makes it a pen to go to immediately in order to jot a note or plunge into writing.

Are there other pens that have that classic design, long enough for my hand, and the cap slips off easily in order to get down to writing? Pens are tools for me and I wish for a pen to have it all so I can write and write and write.

And yes, Im familiar with Lamy 2000 as a good workhorse pen. What are some other recommendations, please? No screw caps please.

do you use this pen posted? the E95 is designed to be used posted and in this position the pen becomes a very comfortable length.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I started testing my E95S against other pens... you either hold your pens at a REALLY weird place (in which case, desk pens are your friend) or you are Andre the giant, if the posted E95S is too short.

I compared it to about a dozen other full size pens and it wasn't longer than all but the largest in my collection. a posted ranga 3c, my mont blanc 149 (posted, unposted it is shorter) homo sapiens, conklin all american, grifos oikos, lamy 2000 and wing sung 601 are all within a centimeter of the same length when posted. most of these pens are not made to even be posted, the homo sapiens maxi, conklin, 149, are all not supposed to be posted due to balance.

The only pen that was noticeably longer and designed to be that way while still being slim and well balanced with a similar weight, was the lamy CP-1. so if you REALLY need a thin pen with a longer overall length, the CP-1 is where your money should be at. Gentle snap cap, snap post, large variety of steel nib sizes.

Alternatively, if you want a really, really long pen with a huge possible range of nibs, the sailor fude-de-mannen is as long as a paintbrush and can be posted. it only comes with a fude nib, but its party trick is that it can use the section from any "standard" size sailor pen, including the 14k and 21k nibs in the pro gear slim and 1911 standard. I just tested the 21k zoom nib, and the section screws right into the body, and the cap works perfectly. So uber-long pen, light, holds any sailor nib you can find, really, from EF to music, zoom, etc. It also accepts the standard steel nibs of the young profit, and the F-M steel sailor nib is a freaking joy to use. total cost there is about $45 and you get a cool fude nib to play with, too. it's a screw cap but unscrewing it is less than ONE full turn, so it can be brought to bear very quickly.

Lastly, and this is what I think is your real issue, is that you're trying to use too thin of a pen for your hand. If you think it's too small, you might just be holding the pen too far back because the section of the e95s is tapered and narrow. If I hold it where a normal section would be, the pen back is in the web of my hand and feels small. Try adjusting your fingers closer to the nib. I can palm a basketball and the pen is plenty long in my hands. But if I hold a pen like the mont blanc 149, the whole thing just feels "bigger" in the hand.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)