Jump to content

The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies






Photo

Leaky Wing Sung 3008

3008 wing sung

  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

    飽食終日無所用心

  • FPN Supporter - Rhodium

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts
  • Location:Sydney, Australia
  • Flag:

Posted 24 December 2018 - 16:01

@A Smug Dill, I'd be interested to know whether the M4 x 0.6mm screws will fit into the 3008 without needing to be filed back:

 

 

Some in the packet of sixty I bought work just fine out of the bag, while others took a tiny bit of filing down (which I did quickly with a nail file because it was within reach at the time) by maybe 0.1–0.3mm. Easy peasy.

 

Using those screws to replace the metal screws (exactly the same size as that in the Wing Sung 3008) inside the caps of Delike New Moon 3 pens was a different story. One worked just fine. In the second pen, there was glue in the threads of the metal screw put in place at the factory, and my plastic M4*6mm replacement screw just wouldn't hold properly and then broke in two. Trying to remove the broken end of the plastic screw from the filial was a royal pain. Tried a second plastic screw in that pen, and it still wouldn't hold properly, so I had to give up and put the metal screw back (after coating it with silicon grease).

 

I can easily spare eight or so screws from my packet of five dozen, if you prefer not to wait a month to to two months for something you order on eBay to arrive from China. Just let me know in Private Mesaage here how many you need and what your address is, and I'll send them to you by regular Australia Post letter mail at my cost if you like.


Let's give each other due respect, and approach discussion rigorously. I believe we're all peers and equals here as fellow hobbyists, with common interests in the acquisition and use of fountain pens, but no shared values and no obligation to offer each other moral support for one's narrative.

Don't think 'cos I understand, I care
Don't think 'cos I'm talking, we're friends

'6 Underground' by Sneaker Pimps


Sponsored Content

#22 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

    飽食終日無所用心

  • FPN Supporter - Rhodium

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts
  • Location:Sydney, Australia
  • Flag:

Posted 26 December 2018 - 09:02

I'm going to revise my conclusion.

It'd be wise to cut/file the plastic screws down to what is supposedly the right length first, because if the screw is just a little bit too long and you try to tighten it until the filial stops spinning around (and you'd want the screw to apply a fair amount of strain so that the cap remains airtight), the threads will just wear out and the screw becomes useless. The metal clip is not bent at a right angle (which makes sense, if you/the manufacturer wants the clip to exert pressure against the outside of the cap) but an acute angle on the side facing the cap, and so it'll push the filial up at an angle unless the screw pulls the filial down tightly enough for the clip construction to elastically deform at the bend.

I've already had to throw out five plastic screws trying to secure just one problematic cap. In the end, I gave up and just coated the steel screw with silicon grease, then screw it back on as tightly as I can until the filial stops moving (ideally applying significant pressure constantly on the plastic cap without cracking it).

<EDIT>
Thus far, my experience is that the screws will work with about 75% of the caps, and tighten enough to stop the filials from spinning around. For the other 25%, I see little choice but to continue to use the steel(?) screws to secure the filials.

Edited by A Smug Dill, 26 December 2018 - 10:15.

Let's give each other due respect, and approach discussion rigorously. I believe we're all peers and equals here as fellow hobbyists, with common interests in the acquisition and use of fountain pens, but no shared values and no obligation to offer each other moral support for one's narrative.

Don't think 'cos I understand, I care
Don't think 'cos I'm talking, we're friends

'6 Underground' by Sneaker Pimps






Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 3008, wing sung



Sponsored Content




|