The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Moonman 80 Mini Mini-Review

review moonman mini 80 china parker 45 chinese pocket

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TruthPil

TruthPil

Flexy obliqueness!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 September 2018 - 06:28

Hello again to all my FPN friends,

When the original Moonman 80 came out, I resisted buying one because I already have more Parker 45s than I can remember. However, when the 80mini came out I knew it was worth a try, if only to be a recepticle for my favorite Parker 45 gold nibs. Although the quality isn't nearly as good as that of a real Parker 45, these pens still hold their own and nib swappability opens up endless possibilities. How cool is it that I can put a soft 14k UK Parker 45 OBB stub in a tiny pen that will fit in my pocketbook or even directly in my pocket??

Here are some of my impressions after taking the pen apart and playing around with it today:

(This first page was written with the stock EF nib. Notice how hard it is to read due to how dry the pen writes.)

fpn_1535869131__p1090494_compressed.jpg

(Problem solved with a quick and easy nib swap.)

fpn_1535869214__p1090497_compressed.jpg

Size Comparisons:

(top to bottom: Platinum Preppy 02; Pilot 78G; Delike Alpha; Moonman 80mini)

fpn_1535869252__p1090492_compressed.jpg

fpn_1535869372__p1090490_compressed.jpg

Comparison of Nib Assemblies:

(Parker 45 on the left; Moonman 80mini on the right)

Notice the extra bits of plastic from the injection molding process still on the Moonman's feed and cowl.

This leads me to believe that the Moonman will probably write much better if one uses a razor blade to scrape off the extra plastic bits and floss the channels.

fpn_1535869402__p1090486_compressed.jpg

fpn_1535869515__p1090488_compressed.jpg

Moonman 80mini vs. my son's "moon man":

fpn_1535869559__p1090498_compressed.jpg

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Sponsored Content

#2 TruthPil

TruthPil

Flexy obliqueness!

• Member - Gold

• 1,880 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 September 2018 - 06:02

Just to update: I've noticed that not just the pen itself, but the ink in the Moonman cartridges itself is extremely dry.

My usually wet Parker 45 B used above required some pressure to get it's normal broad line.

One good thing I noticed about the Moonman Blue-black, however, is that it's 100% waterproof.

It smells like iron and loses some of its blue hue as it dries, so I'm certain it is an iron gall ink.

Edited by TruthPil, 03 September 2018 - 14:18.

#3 penzel_washinkton

penzel_washinkton

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 September 2018 - 13:28

Nice review, so with this I think it can be concluded that the Moonman 80S and Mini are dry writing pens.

If the remedy is that simple, I better start scavenging Parker 45 nibs on Feebay!

#4 TruthPil

TruthPil

Flexy obliqueness!

• Member - Gold

• 1,880 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 September 2018 - 14:06

Nice review, so with this I think it can be concluded that the Moonman 80S and Mini are dry writing pens.

If the remedy is that simple, I better start scavenging Parker 45 nibs on Feebay!

The Moonman 80 pens do seem to be characteristically dry writers, which is something preferable for writing those intricate Chinese characters. 

There are always hundreds of Parker 45s on the bay, plenty with 14k nibs as well. Sometimes it's cheaper to just buy the pen than get the nib separately, although you risk getting a nib someone has messed up.

The best Parker 45 nib I ever got was from FPN Member piscov (no affiliation) who tuned it before sale, so I recommend contacting him first to see what he has. 

#5 penzel_washinkton

penzel_washinkton

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 September 2018 - 14:37

I've quickly glanced on Feebay and most of them are not EF which is my preference nib width so I'll just chill out for now

#6 TruthPil

TruthPil

Flexy obliqueness!

• Member - Gold

• 1,880 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 September 2018 - 14:45

I've quickly glanced on Feebay and most of them are not EF which is my preference nib width so I'll just chill out for now

I have a Parker 45 XF in flawless condition that I want to sell (bought it from Japan so it's geared for writing a really fine line). Let me know if you're interested.

#7 penzel_washinkton

penzel_washinkton

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 September 2018 - 12:25

As usual, I'll PM you when the right time arises :drool: 

#8 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,462 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 September 2018 - 23:20

Great review and I like the moonman.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: review, moonman, mini, 80, china, parker 45, chinese, pocket

Sponsored Content

|