The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Shadow Nib

shadow nib broad edge nib italic gothic batard pilot parallel learning italic

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dms525

dms525

Antique

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 September 2018 - 22:30

Shadow nibs - broad nibs that have had a groove ground in their tip, usually asymmetrically - are fun to play with and also very good learning tools for anyone working on broad-edged calligraphic scripts.

I have some old shadow nibs from late model Osmiroid pens. Kaweco currently makes #5 Bock shadow nibs, but I am not aware of any others producing them commercially. Last year, at the San Francisco Pen Show, one of the Bay Area "Friends of Calligraphy" calligraphers had a Pilot Parallel that had been ground to a shadow nib by a friend. Just recently, Salman Khattak (smk on FPN) has offered customized Pilot Parallel shadow nibs for sale, and I bought one made from the 3.8mm model.  Here are a couple photos. (No affiliation, blah, blah, blah)

Pilot-Parallel-shadow-nib-web.jpg

Pilot-Parallel-shadow-nib-web-close-up.jpg

Enjoy!

David

Sponsored Content

#2 Black-Ink

Black-Ink

In Pen Peace

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 September 2018 - 22:51

I have some extra Parallels laying here.

That’s a great idea. Thanks!

#3 Astron

Astron

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 September 2018 - 22:53

Manuscript has shadow nibs. They sell them as dip nibs, but those nibs can be easily fitted into their cheap plastic pens. The nibs are similar to those in the pens. As they have no reservoir they are not very suitable as dip nibs.

#4 dms525

dms525

Antique

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 September 2018 - 00:50

Manuscript has shadow nibs. They sell them as dip nibs, but those nibs can be easily fitted into their cheap plastic pens. The nibs are similar to those in the pens. As they have no reservoir they are not very suitable as dip nibs.

Right! I forgot about the Manuscript nibs. I have tried one. We did not get along well.

Thanks for reminding us.

David

#5 WLSpec

WLSpec

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2019 - 14:11

Yes, I think Kaweco is the only company putting those twin bock nibs in their pens from the factory...

b25049beb1e0ecf5677a5f836e7a21b0.jpg

Looking into those. Really cool pens. I might try this with one of my parallels!

Can I put something down here?                                                                                            A small blog that I run in my free time​spectorpen.com

#6 BaronWulfraed

BaronWulfraed

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2019 - 16:41

Back around 2003, the Sheaffer Prelude was available with a calligraphic broad and a double-line/shadow accessory set.

#7 sidthecat

sidthecat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2019 - 20:07

Edward Johnston would put a rubber band around two pencils (or pieces of chalk) to practice double lines.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shadow nib, broad edge nib, italic, gothic batard, pilot parallel, learning italic

Sponsored Content

|