Buying A Fountain Pen As A Present, Advice Needed

Lamyliz

I want to buy my husband a fountain pen for Christmas and was looking at the Visconti van Gogh. I'm new to this and learning fast so don't want to spend a lot of money on something that might not be suitable or there might be something better for the price. So I thought I'd ask the experts what pen would you suggest for a nice gift?

Thanks in advance :)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Charles Rice

• Honeybadgers

• sansenri

• sidthecat

Is he an established fountain pen user? If not, that's kind of a big gamble on a gift. if he is, The Van Goh is one of the more reliable visconti pens, while it's a steel nib, it's very well made and a good writer. Visconti palladium "dreamtouch" nibs are literally a game of russian roulette.

It is a lot of money for a steel nib, though. a LOT. Especially for a pen that is not a piston filler, and not made from any special materials. Visconti does really have a huge premium on their pens up until the $500 price point.

Are you spending around MSRP? guessing in the 200-300USD range. Because if you are sure he wants a fountain pen, the world is pretty much your oyster at that price range. If you want something less insanely expensive for a steel nib C/C pen but still really like the idea of a visconti (which let's face it, are gorgeous) and the famous painter look, check out the Rembrandt line. about half the price.

I would personally recommend a Pilot Custom 823. It's not as dramatic in colors, but it's got a huge 14k solid gold nib, a really unique vacuum filler (same as the highest line visconti pens, it also allows you to completely shut the inkflow off, which lets you take it on a plane without worry, so if he travels, this is a real consideraiton) and is just very well regarded.

I also highly recommend a fine or extra fine nib if he will be using it everyday on all sorts of paper. Bottled ink is also a good thing, most ink cartridges just don't do it for most people, but if you must, standard cartridges from J. Herbin, Nemosine, or Mont blanc are all well liked.

The sailor pro gear or 1911 large are also great choices in that price range (same pen, different shape) with the "realo" models having an internal piston filler and the others using a cartridge or converter. with a big, gorgeous 21k nib.

The Lamy 2000 is a well known piece of artistic history, and a lot cheaper. also with a 14k nib. ~$150

The pelikan M400, M600, M800 is in that price range as well. Big, pretty, gold nib and a piston filler.

The cross peerless, gold sailor nib, well made.

And if you really want to give him a NICE fountain pen but don't want to spend a ton of money, you can have a big pretty 14k gold nib with a super well made, reliable pen available in a couple dramatic colors (cartres blue and bourgogne red, both slightly translucent) for under $80 USD in the Platinum 3776. I recommend the soft fine version, as its nib will have some softness and flexibility, but not so much that it's annoying (or present at all) when you don't want it. Order it from japan (or on amazon) and you'll pay a ton less. Just don't forget to buy a platinum converter as well.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Also consider the metal section on the Van Gogh/Rembrant. Some like this feature, some detest it.

Add lightness and simplicate.

Yes, the Visconti is a nice pen. If he has never had a fountain pen before or never expressed any huge interest in them, then do it. BUT, if he is interesting in fountain pens, ASK him. No way would my wife buy a pen for me without knowing that I would like it.

She has bought only one pen for me, a Pelikan that I told her about.

Same goes for my camera equipment. She asks first. No way would she buy a lens for me that I didn't need or want.

Edited by Charles Rice

I’ve never used a genuinely expensive fountain pen. Mostly at the high end price comes from fancy materials, fancy vintage history, fancy nibs, fancy filling systems or fancy branding. I’m using the word fancy because it is often more delicate than the school pens I usually use. It’s not usually better than my school pens either. That doesn’t mean don’t buy high end pens just... be aware of what you’re buying and why.

Fancy materials like maki-e take skilled craftsmen to make. They’re works of art in a pen. Either you like the art or you don’t.

Vintage history, a well cared for vintage pen can be quite expensive. They take a bit of maintenance and restoration can be very skilled work on the tricky designs. Again either you like it or you don’t.

Fancy nibs are bigger, unusual shapes, made of gold, palladium, titanium, have beautiful design, have flexible tines etc. This is not the common reason for buying a fancy pen but if it’s your reason you’re probably buying the right thing and you’re probably testing first.

Fancy filling systems are a lot like nibs, so again, if that’s why you’re buying go for it.

Fancy branding is the most common reason for buying an inexpensive fancy pen, and it’s probably the worst way to buy. And particularly for a present, my take is just don’t. Loan your partner a regular pen, see if they like it enough to need refills. When they need refills, get them their own pen.

I’d do what I used to do with my husband, although his thing was rocks, not pens: We’d go to a show and I’d buy him the rock that took his fancy (within reason - I haven’t the resources or space for a half-ton meteorite).

Yes, the Visconti is a nice pen. If he has never had a fountain pen before or never expressed any huge interest in them, then do it. BUT, if he is interesting in fountain pens, ASK him. No way would my wife buy a pen for me without knowing that I would like it.

She has bought only one pen for me, a Pelikan that I told her about.

Same goes for my camera equipment. She asks first. No way would she buy a lens for me that I didn't need or want.

A pen is a little different. My wife can buy me whatever she wants for a pen, watch, belt, wallet. I'll still use it. But a camera lens is a specific tool, and the "wrong" one could genuinely have no use.

A pen is more a creative expression of what she thinks I'd like. And I'll appreciate that no matter what. My mom bought me a vintage parker that I never really "wanted" and it wound up needing some repairs. I had it repaired and I use it often because it mattered to her, and that matters to me. Pens can be customized and tuned. If you got a broad as a gift but wanted an extra fine, you can get that done. even the reverse (greg minuskin is the man to ask for that service)

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

A pen is a little different. My wife can buy me whatever she wants for a pen, watch, belt, wallet. I'll still use it. But a camera lens is a specific tool, and the "wrong" one could genuinely have no use.

A pen is more a creative expression of what she thinks I'd like. And I'll appreciate that no matter what. My mom bought me a vintage parker that I never really "wanted" and it wound up needing some repairs. I had it repaired and I use it often because it mattered to her, and that matters to me. Pens can be customized and tuned. If you got a broad as a gift but wanted an extra fine, you can get that done. even the reverse (greg minuskin is the man to ask for that service)

My mother bought a fountain pen for me that she thought I would like - WRONG. Maybe if she were still with us I'd use it on a visit, but now it just collects dust. A pen IS a tool as well as an expression. An expression ? - OK, I got an "expression" once as a gift some years ago, a collection of Gregorian Chants. Played it once and donated it to Goodwill. Buy him a pen that he does not like and he'll say "thank you", turn it over in his fingers a few times, write a line or two, stick it in a drawer, and forget you ever gave it to him.

OK, I'm fussy. I don't like all fountain pens, and if I don't like it, I'm not going to use it.

If you want him to be happy, make sure he'll like it.

I just wanted to pipe up to say I thought Honeybadgers' advice, in that first long reply, was stupendous.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Edited by Houston

Is he an established fountain pen user? If not, that's kind of a big gamble on a gift. if he is, The Van Goh is one of the more reliable visconti pens, while it's a steel nib, it's very well made and a good writer. Visconti palladium "dreamtouch" nibs are literally a game of russian roulette.

It is a lot of money for a steel nib, though. a LOT. Especially for a pen that is not a piston filler, and not made from any special materials. Visconti does really have a huge premium on their pens up until the $500 price point.

Are you spending around MSRP? guessing in the 200-300USD range. Because if you are sure he wants a fountain pen, the world is pretty much your oyster at that price range. If you want something less insanely expensive for a steel nib C/C pen but still really like the idea of a visconti (which let's face it, are gorgeous) and the famous painter look, check out the Rembrandt line. about half the price.

I would personally recommend a Pilot Custom 823. It's not as dramatic in colors, but it's got a huge 14k solid gold nib, a really unique vacuum filler (same as the highest line visconti pens, it also allows you to completely shut the inkflow off, which lets you take it on a plane without worry, so if he travels, this is a real consideraiton) and is just very well regarded.

I also highly recommend a fine or extra fine nib if he will be using it everyday on all sorts of paper. Bottled ink is also a good thing, most ink cartridges just don't do it for most people, but if you must, standard cartridges from J. Herbin, Nemosine, or Mont blanc are all well liked.

The sailor pro gear or 1911 large are also great choices in that price range (same pen, different shape) with the "realo" models having an internal piston filler and the others using a cartridge or converter. with a big, gorgeous 21k nib.

The Lamy 2000 is a well known piece of artistic history, and a lot cheaper. also with a 14k nib. ~$150

The pelikan M400, M600, M800 is in that price range as well. Big, pretty, gold nib and a piston filler.

The cross peerless, gold sailor nib, well made.

And if you really want to give him a NICE fountain pen but don't want to spend a ton of money, you can have a big pretty 14k gold nib with a super well made, reliable pen available in a couple dramatic colors (cartres blue and bourgogne red, both slightly translucent) for under $80 USD in the Platinum 3776. I recommend the soft fine version, as its nib will have some softness and flexibility, but not so much that it's annoying (or present at all) when you don't want it. Order it from japan (or on amazon) and you'll pay a ton less. Just don't forget to buy a platinum converter as well.

:notworthy1: , couldn't have said it better.

My mother bought a fountain pen for me that she thought I would like - WRONG. Maybe if she were still with us I'd use it on a visit, but now it just collects dust. A pen IS a tool as well as an expression. An expression ? - OK, I got an "expression" once as a gift some years ago, a collection of Gregorian Chants. Played it once and donated it to Goodwill. Buy him a pen that he does not like and he'll say "thank you", turn it over in his fingers a few times, write a line or two, stick it in a drawer, and forget you ever gave it to him.

OK, I'm fussy. I don't like all fountain pens, and if I don't like it, I'm not going to use it.

+1 on this. I gave my husband the used Vanishing Point I picked up for cheap (trying to coax him over to the dark side and away from his beloved Zebra G ballpoints and rollerballs). He didn't like the F nib, so I got myself a Decimo with an EF nib and swapped out the nib assemblies. I even bought him a bottle of Namiki Black all his very own. He still doesn't use the pen. He didn't want to lose it when he went to MS last spring (quote unquote). So it's somewhere up in his office upstairs.

Lord only knows how gunked up it is at this point..... :(

I'll admit that I would be the same way with some pens. Pretty sure if someone tried to give me the MB Marilyn Monroe pen I'd have this sort of glazed look on my face that said "Uh, thank you... I think...." and in my mind be going "Now how fast can I get rid of this garbage without hurting the giver's feelings too much?"

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I also think the idea of giving a fountain pen as a gift is fraught with peril. If they are not already a fountain pen enthusiast, the pen is likely to sit in a drawer unused.

If they are an enthusiast, the pen likely won't match up with their taste. For instance, the Lamy 2000 is an iconic pen, but is best appreciated by those who like a minimalist aesthetic. To some people, it looks "plain" and unappealing. And that's even before you get into things like what size/style nib to get. An extra-fine nib for someone who has a big and bold writing style would not be appropriate.

That said, if you plan to go ahead with the gift, Honeybadger's advice is pretty hard to beat.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

Research, research and research. Choose a bunch of pens you think he'll like and look for reviews and ask advice on forums like here. Most pens +$50 will have fairly good nibs and then it's mostly down to materials, brand name and rarity.

I remember the first fountain pen I was given. It was a Parker frontier. Now that pen as a novice wrote (and has been backed up by many more experienced people) that generally they have nibs rivalling much more expensive pens. They also look classy for their low price. I'm not saying buy a Frontier. Just that buying a fountain pen especially a brand new one can be a minefield of frustration and disappointment.

You can buy a pen in the $1 to $100 to $1000 dollar range and ALL could have smooth nibs. Price doesn't always guarantee you'll get a better pen. We'd all like to hope that the more you pay the better the pen, but just do the homework and of course test it before you hand it over. Giving a scratchy pen is likely to put him off fountain pens for life.

I'd also buy new even though there are some stunning vintage pens so if he really doesn't like the choice you can return it or work together to find something he does like. But you may be interesting in getting a vintage pen. There are many good examples that have been restored or lightly used.

The question asked isn't bad, it's just so subjective because there are thousands of pen types for sale and picking just one can be REALLY tough. I personally don't like the van gogh. I don't like the metal section. I can guess that it might be a bit slippery and not the most pleasant to use in cold winter months, but then everyone has their own preference and the overall design is nice. I've watched a few reviews. The magnetic cap is quite a neat feature and I think if you gave this pen in the orange color your husband would like it very much. Is it worth the price? Well that's up to you and what you can afford.

Not the most helpful answer, but it's going to be very hard for anyone to tell you to buy a specific pen as what one person likes is not the same as another.

One of my go to video review people is sbrebrown on youtube. He's done loads of reviews of many pens so you might find something going through the archives.

Edited by JayKay3000

I think I'd go with a Platinum 3776 in your position. It's affordable (available for as low as around $70 in it's default configuration if purchased from a Japanese seller, eg. on Amazon), Platinum pens (and other Japanese brands such as Pilot) have a reputation for good quality control so the chance of getting a pen with problems is probably lower than with a lot of other pen manufacturers, and some Platinum pens (including the 3776) have special inner caps that help reduce drying out (a problem that I find renders some pens practically unusable, and will likely cause a non-fountain pen user to put the pen away and forget about it). Also it has a gold nib, which at the very least sounds impressive so it's nice to have in a gift.

For these reasons I consider Platinums to be some of the safest bets as first fountain pens and as gifts to new fountain pen users.

Just remember this - if you ask 100 pen nuts like me which is the best pen to buy for ANY reason, you'll get 147 answers.

Fair enough, my wife HATED the pilot metro I gave her and never uses it :D I'm just a little more forgiving about pens I don't love I guess.

It also might explain why I've been dragging my race car with a grenaded engine around for the past 15 years. I promised myself I'd never sell it, and i'll probably be buried in it at this point.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Thanks for the advice, some pens I've not heard of which I'll look into. Starting to realise that it's more complicated than I first thought! Hubby is very amenable & would appreciate whatever I got him as he is sentimental so that's not a problem (although I take on board that this might not be the case for everyone) :)

Thanks for the advice, some pens I've not heard of which I'll look into. Starting to realise that it's more complicated than I first thought! Hubby is very amenable & would appreciate whatever I got him as he is sentimental so that's not a problem (although I take on board that this might not be the case for everyone) :)

Here's a link to a store in the US, but it will give you and hubby a good idea of what's available. No, I don't work there.

https://www.fountainpenhospital.com/

Maybe ask him to form a wish list, even if it's not necessarily in a site you'd use to buy it? It would give a much better idea of what he would actually like to have. Maybe it's the idea behind pinterest.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I would not be so concerned, Lamyliz, especially if your husband is not a picky type of person.

I have many pens and yes I do have preferences, and if I had to buy a pen now perhaps it would not be a Visconti Van Gogh (since I already have more than one, new models and older models), but relax, the Van Gogh is a really nice pen, and it looks good too.

If my wife gifted me with one I would be happy, despite owing others already.

In my opinion it's a really nice pen for a present. Check the colours, there are many, perhaps don't go for very bright colours unless you know he would like them (some of them are gorgeous though!)

here is my sunflowers

fpn_1536424443__p1150375-3.jpg

If you buy in a shop ask the shop to test the nib for you (so you avoid any nib problems).

If you buy in a shop you can also choose the swirl pattern... they are all different!

Edited by sansenri