New Esterbrook Estie

PotatoJesus

So while browsing goulet pens I saw that they had a new esterbrook brand category and wanted to hear peoples thoughts about it. It comes in standard and oversize. I like the look of the tortoise and cobalt finishes however I don't think that I would actually purchase the pen myself but with the ability to put vintage nib in the pen I think others might like it.

From gouletpens website

Esterbrook began manufacturing nibs in the US in the mid 1800s, but the 1930s were a period of importance, as they introduced their first interchangeable nib system in 1933. The interchangeable nibs gave the user many options for writing, whether in school, business, personal etc. Today, a similar system is reborn with the Estie and the specially engineered MV Nib Adaptor (sold separately). The MV adaptor delivers a vintage nib experience with a modern shape Esterbrook pen. You can fit any vintage Esterbrook nib unit into this adaptor, and use it with your modern Estie fountain pen.

Edit: Also sorry if its already been mentioned I did a search of it and I only found results on the vintage pen

Edited by PotatoJesus

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• woleizihan

• JakobS

• inkstainedruth

• PotatoJesus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seems a much better launch than the previous incarnation and the fact that you can add genuine Estie nibs in is a bonus, but the price....yikes.....I think they've pitched it a bit high. This would have been great if it had come in at around 70.

So Kenro recently bought the modern iteration of the Esterbrook brand which has been a rather mixed bag if not generally negatively received in the FP world, and specifically within the Esterbrook collector/ user world. This was because the person who brought back the brand as he has done with other revitalized brands (Conklin/ Mabie Todd) created rather cheap pens and sold them for inflated prices. He has been successful though in having established pen manufacturers take over these brands when it seems they have plateaued out in interest or the realization of what they are has fully set in such as has been seen with selling Conklin to Yafa for example. These new companies often change the pens to be a little better in quality though, if not generally unexceptional pens compared to others in still inflated price ranges, as seems to be the case with these new pens as well......

Edited by JakobS

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

I seem to recall Brian Anderson saying they're adding it over at Anderson Pens. Have not yet looked for it, but I heard it on a podcast of theirs, I think. If they're adding it, it is a stamp of approval.

If I really wanted to use Esterbrooks in a modern pen, I would screw the nib units into a Pelikan M205, or I might tap the nib out of its nib unit and put it into a Pelikan feed and collar of an M205. It's difficult to conceive wanting to do that, except perhaps with a 2312, 9312 or other interesting Esterbrook nib, because it would mean altering a nice collectible item in a way I don't think could be undone.

Buying a $156 or $200 new Estie of less than stellar quality and then spending more to enable the use of a vintage nib seems absurd when real vintage Esterbrooks are so relatively inexpensive. Further, the high cost of these modern pens seems at odds with the vintage Estie collector's ability to collect on a budget.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I'd have to hold one (will make a note to do so at the Ohio Pen Show in a couple months) as it stands it looks like an expensive Jinhao pen to me.

There does seem to be a spirit of Esterbrook use and collecting that makes the Esterbrook Nouveau just not a fit. I feel like it would be more fitting to put a 9314-F in one of my Montblanc 144s.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I got my Esties back when Esties went for $15 and all 'noobies' were told to get one. or a Safari..................pre-Chinese pens.

Every followed that advice and bought the addictive Estie, bought another and another and another., and soon they were going for $30....too expensive for noobies who could get a $8-10 Japanese pen.

So I got rid of my 5 of the 8 smoky gray ones, a couple of the blue ones and three of the five greenish ones. Never had a red or a tootsie roll. All I have left is a copper DJ and a blue SJ.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Not really a fan of how the nib adaptor is another 40 bucks on top of the pen, as that is the main selling point of the model I would think that it would come with it but I guess the company is trying to get extra money where it can

Is it really impossible today to make a pen called Esterbrook that at least *looks* like an Esterbrook (any model) instead of one that looks like a Sheaffer Balance / Pilot Metro wannabe?

Sigh.

Edited by penwash

- Will
Restored Pens and Sketches on Instagram @redeempens

The blue one is kind of pretty. But for that sort of money I could buy a whole lot of vintage Esterbrooks, *and* have a better range of nibs. Heck, that's more than I paid for my most expensive (to me) Parker 51! In fact, for that kind of money, I'd be way more likely to be looking at a Pelikan M200....

So does this mean, as JakobS says, that someone else now owns the brand name? There may be hope (I remember when the reissued ones came out and nobody seemed to have much of anything good to say about the guy who bought the brand name...).

I guess of course the $64K question would be "Does it have a really nice box?" :lol:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

ThevEsterbrook name is always going to be problematic, unless you produce a fun, cheap pen with multiple nib exchangeable options. If a manufacturer took that risk it might pay off and they could build on other possible models, but that initial run as described above is always going to be a risk that a modern manufacturer may not want to take

I agree with inkstainedruth the blue colour is very appealing, at $156 USD it would be a pen that sells for well over $200 in Australia, alot to pay for a steel nib pen in my view.

Sometimes there has to be a little more than a "pretty looking" pen to make it tempting.

Greg

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Handwriting - one of life's pure pleasures

I guess of course the $64K question would be "Does it have a really nice box?" :lol:

Asking the important questions. :lticaptd: One would hope it holds up to the reputation of the last box.

Edited by NinthSphere