Help: Oxidised Mont Blanc Sterling

singhui94

Hello everyone :),

I need some advise here regarding whether is it worth it to purchase and then send it to service/ polish. I am still considering if whether or not to buy it, because the seller is letting go at a fair price.

I believe this model is Montblanc Meisterstuck 144S Solitaire Sterling Silver Pinstripe Fountain Pen

the outer layer has completely oxidised and I'm not an expert on this, just eager to get a rare and cool first mont blanc collection of my own.

Just wondering any of you guys has any experience on this ? Will it be advisable to just do the polish on my own (perhaps using baking soda ?)

If I would to send it in for servicing instead, will you guys advise me to send it to MB or third party nibmeister ?

Thank you :D

Edited by singhui94

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• singhui94

• Erik Dalton

• chunya

• Uncial

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's hard to tell precisely from those pictures, but there does appear to be a bit of plate loss. Most of it should polish up fine, but sometimes when silver is allowed to oxidise to this degree you can get what appear to be staining blotches (you can actually see some on the pen in the pictures) which don;t always polish out. A jeweller might be able to bring it up to a good standard so long as they are careful and you are happy they know what they are doing. Sending it to MB for a polish would, I suspect, cost considerably more.

the subject title says 'Sterling', so assume this part of the pen at least won't show any plate loss, - that happens only when a base metal is plated, with subsequent heavy wear.

For what it costs to buy some silver polish, or a proprietary silver polish impregnated cloth, I'd suggest having a go yourself, before sending in the post somewhere with all the attendent risks/cost that poses.

The oxidation on Silver isn't quite in the realms of being a layer, rather it's very much on the surface, although it can sometimes be difficult to shift - perhaps a toothbrush might be useful here in view of what appears to be engine turning or chased pattern.

Edited by PaulS

I once took one of those silver polishing wipes to a silver P-75. It was messy and I lost all contrast within the etching of the silver. Avoid wet or paste polishes. They get into every nook and cranny. You need to be able to control where you polish for optimal results.

Since then ive Found that a simple dry jewlers polishing cloth gives high luster to the raised areas and still leaves the valleys a bit darker. Ive had the same one for 20 years and its still going strong.

You wont lose silver by rubbing, but the gold plated cap band, clip and other furniture need to be buffed with care or you can remove some of the plating.

Good luck.

By the way, that looks like a 146 to me. If you are getting it for the price of a 144, jump on it. Worry about the polishing later..lol..

Use just soft cotton cloth to polish away the patina. No need to send the pen anywhere.

Hi there Mitto, really appreciate for your reply. May I know what substance is best to polish the silver (with cotton cloth)? Thank you :)

In the third picture there appears to be some plating loss to the gold banding. It might be the light though.

Yeah I do afraid of this as well, as i havent really hold the pen in my hand just yet (will have it by tomorrow). There is no bad to get it repaired i guess?

the subject title says 'Sterling', so assume this part of the pen at least won't show any plate loss, - that happens only when a base metal is plated, with subsequent heavy wear.

For what it costs to buy some silver polish, or a proprietary silver polish impregnated cloth, I'd suggest having a go yourself, before sending in the post somewhere with all the attendent risks/cost that poses.

The oxidation on Silver isn't quite in the realms of being a layer, rather it's very much on the surface, although it can sometimes be difficult to shift - perhaps a toothbrush might be useful here in view of what appears to be engine turning or chased pattern.

Thank you Paul, this is indeed some useful tips. Will definitely try it out tomorrow when i got the pen on hand, and I can keep you guys posted of the before and after :D

It's hard to tell precisely from those pictures, but there does appear to be a bit of plate loss. Most of it should polish up fine, but sometimes when silver is allowed to oxidise to this degree you can get what appear to be staining blotches (you can actually see some on the pen in the pictures) which don;t always polish out. A jeweller might be able to bring it up to a good standard so long as they are careful and you are happy they know what they are doing. Sending it to MB for a polish would, I suspect, cost considerably more.

Thanks Uncial, I think I'll try a DIY first before sending it anywhere. Really grateful for the sharing ! :))

Ad noted, the silver should clean up just fine and pretty easily, the cap bands may have gold plating loss, and it is, indeed, a 146.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

First council : do not use baking soda !

First council : do not use baking soda !!!

Thank god for the headsup bruh, i was googling about the method to polish sterling and baking soda was one of it lol. Sorry I have to admit i am a newbie here, thanks senpai.

Ad noted, the silver should clean up just fine and pretty easily, the cap bands may have gold plating loss, and it is, indeed, a 146.

Thanks Zaddick. Thanks for the correct really appreciate it, 146 it is :yikes:

By the way, that looks like a 146 to me. If you are getting it for the price of a 144, jump on it. Worry about the polishing later..lol..

Thanks Old Salt, yeah i think im getting it for the price of a 144 :rolleyes: You think i should take the bet too right! :lticaptd:

I think that if you listen to what we’ve recommended about polishing, be patient and give this pen some love, You’re going to wind up with a really special pen. Not just because it’s a Montblanc, but the time, effort and love that you’ve put into it. You’ll have a pen to last you a lifetime and pass onto your kids.

When it does arrive, the inside may have been subject to the same neglect we see on the outside. Be gentle with it. If the piston seems stuck or stiff, don’t force it. There is some history of these silver 146’s snapping the piston shaft if forced. Come back here and we’ll walk you through how to bring her to life.

I will use silver dip solution as opposed to anything abrasive. It's the stuff people use to restore silver jewelry or spoons. You should be able to get it online pretty easily. Just damp a polishing cloth or just paper towel with it and rub gentely on the silver parts. Minimal pressure is needed and I always get satisfying results. If the pen is not entirely sterling silver, don't put it into the solution.

Firstly singhui94 Welcome and enjoy your time here

For your consideration..use a silver polishing cloth and nothing else..whatsoever.

Fred

......Thank you..officer {expletive - } meat!

~ Mrs. Bickerman {Sue Ann Nivens} who was also rooting for the crocodile.

Edited by Freddy

As the others are saying and as mentioned on the duplicate thread .... elbow grease and patience will probably get the pen looking good again. As mentioned I've had a silver 146 looking brown and grubby, and it polished up beautifully (I wish I'd taken a before and after, but this was a few years back), even the gold fill trim proved to be in good condition.

As the rest say, that is a 146 .... so if it's going cheap then grab it.

The hidden problem with the 146 is that the piston might be stuck if it's not been used for a long time and looking at the condition of the outside the inside might be equally neglected . Do not force it, you might snap the helix. A long soak, or 3 minutes in an ultrasonic bath might just release it. If the piston helix is already damages, then Montblanc will repair/replace the piston mechanism parts under their Service.

They are lovely pens, but like all silver pens can be prone to dents.

Good luck.

I think that if you listen to what we’ve recommended about polishing, be patient and give this pen some love, You’re going to wind up with a really special pen. Not just because it’s a Montblanc, but the time, effort and love that you’ve put into it. You’ll have a pen to last you a lifetime and pass onto your kids.

When it does arrive, the inside may have been subject to the same neglect we see on the outside. Be gentle with it. If the piston seems stuck or stiff, don’t force it. There is some history of these silver 146’s snapping the piston shaft if forced. Come back here and we’ll walk you through how to bring her to life.

Thank you so much I have just gotten the pen today, went on and tested out, tried to refill it ( but i am not sure what is wrong, right after refilling, i can write for awhile, and then it went completely dry). Any clue on that?

I will use silver dip solution as opposed to anything abrasive. It's the stuff people use to restore silver jewelry or spoons. You should be able to get it online pretty easily. Just damp a polishing cloth or just paper towel with it and rub gentely on the silver parts. Minimal pressure is needed and I always get satisfying results. If the pen is not entirely sterling silver, don't put it into the solution.

Roger that sir, your advise is very much appreciated :)

Firstly singhui94 Welcome and enjoy your time here

For your consideration..use a silver polishing cloth and nothing else..whatsoever.

Fred

......Thank you..officer {expletive - } meat!

~ Mrs. Bickerman {Sue Ann Nivens} who was also rooting for the crocodile.

I will get that online :) tried to ask from a few stores but its not available here in most Malaysia hardware shop.

As the others are saying and as mentioned on the duplicate thread .... elbow grease and patience will probably get the pen looking good again. As mentioned I've had a silver 146 looking brown and grubby, and it polished up beautifully (I wish I'd taken a before and after, but this was a few years back), even the gold fill trim proved to be in good condition.

As the rest say, that is a 146 .... so if it's going cheap then grab it.

The hidden problem with the 146 is that the piston might be stuck if it's not been used for a long time and looking at the condition of the outside the inside might be equally neglected . Do not force it, you might snap the helix. A long soak, or 3 minutes in an ultrasonic bath might just release it. If the piston helix is already damages, then Montblanc will repair/replace the piston mechanism parts under their Service.

They are lovely pens, but like all silver pens can be prone to dents.

Good luck.

Yes Chunya, regarding the polish I will spend several days and slowly polishing it out ( all I have is time I suppose, and patience).

Hmm I have replied to your inbox before replying to this. Thank you for reminding regarding the helix, i will pay extra care to it. Is there any specific or special solution should I soak it into or just room temperature water will do?

Thank you guys for all the advice, I just hope you guys know I really appreciate for all the sharing :) so much love in this community.

Regarding the polish part I think I will take my own sweet time a find a really good silver polish clothes to deal with it.

I think what I can do now is "soaking" it like what Chunya has suggested, because the ink didn't come out smooth.

There are few possibilities that might be the case (based on my own opinion):

1) The helix is broken, so the pen didn't actually got refilled, so right after i refilling it actually thats the left over ink on the nib thats doing the work, thats why it only allow me to write for awhile, and went completely dry.

2) There might be some ink that is blocking the refill (I guess soaking it might get this resolves we shall see)

The condition of the pen seems completely fine, no gold plating thats falling off etc, it seems like 'polishing' it may just give a new life to this pen tehee :D

On the other side, any kind soul here would be able to share a thread regarding "Removal of engrave" or "Engraving" related post please, thank you everyone for your time #lotsoflove.

If the turning knob/cone is turning freely then that can mean two things i) The piston is fine ii) The helix is broken, snapped away from the turning knob/cone.

The ink window seems to be clear enough for you to be able to see the piston work its way towards the nib ...

as you turn the knob anti-clockwise. If you can see the piston moving then the ink flow problem is probably just a blockage and a good soak and plenty of flushing will probably help.

If the piston helix is broken then a Montblanc service will sort that out.

If the turning knob/cone is turning freely then that can mean two things i) The piston is fine ii) The helix is broken, snapped away from the turning knob/cone.

The ink window seems to be clear enough for you to be able to see the piston work its way towards the nib ...

as you turn the knob anti-clockwise. If you can see the piston moving then the ink flow problem is probably just a blockage and a good soak and plenty of flushing will probably help.

If the piston helix is broken then a Montblanc service will sort that out.

Thanks Chunya, roger that!