The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sheen From Sailor (Nano) Pigment Inks

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 August 2018 - 02:38

On Bloc Rhodia No16 80g/m2 paper:

fpn_1535682598__sailor_nano_inks_sheen_o

KIWAGURO written using a Pilot VP 18K gold F nib

SEIBOKU written using a Lamy steel EF nib

SOUBOKU written using a Pilot Metropolitan steel F nib

Let's give each other due respect, and approach discussion rigorously. We're all peers and equals here as fellow hobbyists, with common interests in the acquisition and use of fountain pens, but not necessarily any shared values, and no obligation to offer each other moral support for one's narrative or position.

Don't think 'cos I understand, I care
Don't think 'cos I'm talking, we're friends

—'6 Underground' by Sneaker Pimps

Sponsored Content

#2 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,830 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 August 2018 - 03:10

Oh, drat -- now you're just making me want Soubuku all the more.... 

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#3 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• 2,837 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 August 2018 - 03:17

Be ‘warned’, in order to get that purple-tinged-with-green sheen from Sailor souboku, the ink has to be very saturated, and stay wet on the page for a very long time.

The gold sheen from kiwaguro and purplish-red sheen from souboku isn't very noticeable to my naked eye. I actually cannot detect the sheen from kiwaguro by looking at the page even now, and I was very surprised that the camera picked it up.

Let's give each other due respect, and approach discussion rigorously. We're all peers and equals here as fellow hobbyists, with common interests in the acquisition and use of fountain pens, but not necessarily any shared values, and no obligation to offer each other moral support for one's narrative or position.

#4 jmccarty3

jmccarty3

There is no "c" in Sheaffer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,285 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 August 2018 - 12:24

Souboku is doing superbly for me at work in a Sailor Pro Gear Realo with a fine nib. It's well-behaved on all sorts of paper and starts up every time.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

#5 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• 2,837 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 August 2018 - 13:08

I have a black Sailor Pro Gear Realo, still factory-sealed in a clear plastic sleeve, because I can't decide which ink to put in it. On the one hand, I want it to write with a super-reliable archival ink; but, being a piston-fill, I'm wary and reluctant to put a pigment ink or iron gall ink in it. I have no idea whether that pen is as easy to completely disassemble as a Wing Sung 3008 for a thorough cleaning.

#6 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• 2,837 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 September 2018 - 03:20

In a more ‘practical’ application:

fpn_1535771910__writing_sample_with_seve

fpn_1535771936__sheen_from_various_blue-

#7 jmccarty3

jmccarty3

There is no "c" in Sheaffer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,285 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 September 2018 - 21:19

I have a black Sailor Pro Gear Realo, still factory-sealed in a clear plastic sleeve, because I can't decide which ink to put in it. On the one hand, I want it to write with a super-reliable archival ink; but, being a piston-fill, I'm wary and reluctant to put a pigment ink or iron gall ink in it. I have no idea whether that pen is as easy to completely disassemble as a Wing Sung 3008 for a thorough cleaning.

Based on my experience with several fills of Souboku, you needn't worry about using it in your Pro Gear Realo. I have tried quite a few iron gall and pigment inks in this pen, and have had no trouble at all.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

#8 TheDutchGuy

TheDutchGuy

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2018 - 06:47

Fantastic penmanship, very inspiring.

#9 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• 2,837 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:23

Astoundingly, the sheen from Sailor seiboku and souboku somehow survived a 60-minute soak in a shallow plate of clean, warm water.

Before:

fpn_1558002163__sailor_seiboku_and_soubo

After:

fpn_1558002065__sailor_seiboku_and_soubo

#10 Intensity

Intensity

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,625 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 May 2019 - 17:02

Very cool! That Preppy with EF nib and ACBB must be a dry writer—my ACBB never looked so pale/bright teal.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

#11 Caeruleum

Caeruleum

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 May 2019 - 17:11

Seiboku doesn't care at all about water, alcohol, light, it just doesn't move :)

Very cool! That Preppy with EF nib and ACBB must be a dry writermy ACBB never looked so pale/bright teal.

I'm very surprised to. In my somewhat wet EF Safari it looks almost black. I would like it to be lighter and especially to smear less when dry, which it probably would in this Preppy.

Sponsored Content

|