Questions About Lamy Dialog 3

PotatoJesus

I am on the verge of buying a Dialog 3 (it seems like thick sections and heavier pens are most comfortable for me) but have a few questions before I jump the gun. First of I want to know how the pen feels to grip (not sure how to word this) I have never had a pen that is basically a tube end to end so I'm not sure how it would feel (I know the best way to know if it would be comfortable would be going and trying it out in a store but I dont have the opportunity to) . I normally have the tripod grip with most of the weight on my middle finger, so I dont think holding the pen itself would would be a problem but I tend to have sweaty fingers after a bit of writing so I worry a bit about the pen sliding a out of my grip.

Secondly I saw the other post about the coating peeling off the pen and I worry that it will happen with my pen. Is the peeling a common problem of certain finishes or the entire line? I would rather not have a pen that's coating easily peels, as I would use the pen as apart of my edc, though I never treat my pens roughly, there would be a higher risk or peeling.

Side note: as all my other pens (just two) have extra fine nibs Im thinking about maybe getting the pen with a broad nib on it then getting it ground down to a specialty nib to add a little flavor to my notes.So Im looking at either an architect or stub grind, Im not sure which one would look the best with cursive with a finer grind. Any thoughts are appreciated.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PotatoJesus

• 1nkulus

• ErrantSmudge

• dapprman

Peeling is very rare - that was the first case I think any of us had heard of, for another member then to have a surface corruption was a big surprise - but it is very rare. Mine has been relatively abused with no problems.

I can't answer for the piano finishes but my paladium finish Dialog 3 is slightly textured so slippery fingers should not be a problem. Feel wise, at first it's odd, but then it holding it starts to feel natural. The balance is very good, but it is on the heavier side. It's one of those where if you can try one for a while it would be the best idea.

Nib wise, Lamy nibs are pretty generic European sizing wise, though Lamy gold nibs (such as in the Dialog 3) tend to be on the wetter side, meaning a wider line. There's also bounce in the nib, unless you hold it at a specific angle (not sure what but I've seen some one else find this in my presence), at which point the nib becomes a nail - I think it's if you hold it at a higher angle than normal, more like a ballpoint.

Peeling is very rare - that was the first case I think any of us had heard of, for another member then to have a surface corruption was a big surprise - but it is very rare. Mine has been relatively abused with no problems.

I can't answer for the piano finishes but my paladium finish Dialog 3 is slightly textured so slippery fingers should not be a problem. Feel wise, at first it's odd, but then it holding it starts to feel natural. The balance is very good, but it is on the heavier side. It's one of those where if you can try one for a while it would be the best idea.

Nib wise, Lamy nibs are pretty generic European sizing wise, though Lamy gold nibs (such as in the Dialog 3) tend to be on the wetter side, meaning a wider line. There's also bounce in the nib, unless you hold it at a specific angle (not sure what but I've seen some one else find this in my presence), at which point the nib becomes a nail - I think it's if you hold it at a higher angle than normal, more like a ballpoint.

It's great to know that peeling isn't a common problem. Since Im looking at getting matte black I hope there should be a similar texture to the pen. Thank you for clearing things up for me!

@ PotatoJesus - Truth be told I have suffered at the hands of the Black Matte. The Palladium Finish is a fantastic pen to have. I have personally not faced an ounce of a problem from the Palladium One.

As for the instrument itself, its very Modern and Retro at the same time. Modern - Because of the shape and way the mechanism operates. It looks like this awesome thing and no one knows that its Pen. Retro - Because its an Ink Pen. Simply amazing and a definite Head Turner (be it at Office / Business, virtually anywhere)

I am using a Medium & Fine Nib and both are butter smooth. The Dialog 3 Fine Nib is fairly broad as the Gold Nib is a little better than the Steel Nib.

I find the piano finishes superior to the original finish of the first series. I don't know whether you have used a maki-e or lacquer pen before? They might look like they will be slippery as all get out, but in fact they are extremely slip resistant and the temperature will warm nicely to your hand, in ways that etched or finished metal can never approach. They are superior finishes that work well at the scale of a pen. I highly recommend them.

As for the nib, Lamy nibs run very wide. The fine are like japanese medium broads and their EF nibs are ground like architect nibs. Not my favorites.

I have the Piano White Dialog 3 (glossy finish). It does not feel slippery in the hand at all.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

Not slippery at all, although sweaty hands maybe an issue over an extended period. Can double as a cigar. :D

The 'finish deterioration' incidents seem to be isolated.

The nib is a standard Z55 (14K version of Z50).

The 1.1, 1.5, 1.9 italics are only available in steel while the rest in both steel and 14K.

OTOH, you could consider a Pelikan M1000 for girth and send it to a nibmeister.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Not slippery at all, although sweaty hands maybe an issue over an extended period. Can double as a cigar. :D

The 'finish deterioration' incidents seem to be isolated.

The nib is a standard Z55 (14K version of Z50).

The 1.1, 1.5, 1.9 italics are only available in steel while the rest in both steel and 14K.

OTOH, you could consider a Pelikan M1000 for girth and send it to a nibmeister.

I actually do have a Pelikan M1000 but find it a little too light when it gets lower on ink

I actually do have a Pelikan M1000 but find it a little too light when it gets lower on ink

That won't be a problem with the Dialog 3. It's a heavier pen, and because the retractable mechanism is all at the nib end the weight is balanced towards the nib. The extra weight is not an issue when writing because of the way the pen is balanced. I notice the shape of the grip more. Since the grip is a pure cylinder and not tapered like most fountain pens, it does feel different than everything else in my collection, but not in a bad way. Just different.

The clip retracts slightly when the nib is extended, but it still serves as a guide to make sure you are holding the pen with nib properly oriented to paper.

The retractable mechanism makes this pen a great note-taker. It's very quick and easy to retract/extend the nib in a meeting or lecture where you will write frequently, but not continuously. More convenient than capping/uncapping.

Summary: If you like larger and heavier pens, you'll love the Dialog 3.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

That won't be a problem with the Dialog 3. It's a heavier pen, and because the retractable mechanism is all at the nib end the weight is balanced towards the nib. The extra weight is not an issue when writing because of the way the pen is balanced. I notice the shape of the grip more. Since the grip is a pure cylinder and not tapered like most fountain pens, it does feel different than everything else in my collection, but not in a bad way. Just different.

The clip retracts slightly when the nib is extended, but it still serves as a guide to make sure you are holding the pen with nib properly oriented to paper.

The retractable mechanism makes this pen a great note-taker. It's very quick and easy to retract/extend the nib in a meeting or lecture where you will write frequently, but not continuously. More convenient than capping/uncapping.

I was really set on getting the Dialog 3 then I discovered the Lamy Imporium and it looks amazing plus its a good weight uncapped. Though I prefer the nib on the Persona it seems to be quite a bit of a challenge to find plus the black/gold finish on the Imporium looks so good :drool: . I wouldn't use more than 3 pens so I'm really debating which one to choose, though I think the Emporium might win out but who knows which I will choose when the next paycheck comes in.

+1

An apt description of the Dialog 3. :thumbup:

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

I was really set on getting the Dialog 3 then I discovered the Lamy Imporium and it looks amazing plus its a good weight uncapped. Though I prefer the nib on the Persona it seems to be quite a bit of a challenge to find plus the black/gold finish on the Imporium looks so good :drool: . I wouldn't use more than 3 pens so I'm really debating which one to choose, though I think the Emporium might win out but who knows which I will choose when the next paycheck comes in.

I would try both prior to purchase since they are pricey, ideally get both. ;)

The Imporium is a bit short without posting, ~121mm.

IMO, the titanium (Imporium) and the palladium (Dialog 3) look better than the black.

Engineer :

Lamy's matte black does seem prone to scratching. Keep that in mind of you're a bit OCD.

Holding the dialog is definitely different. Not having a grip, you can pretty much hold it anywhere - close to the nib or farther away. After using the pen for a month I've come to like that, but it still feels new. It's that kind of design - like the 2000, it remains surprising.

The Palladium finish is durable. The metal may seem a bit slippery at first, but it's actually good with sweaty hands or when it's hot - the metal stays cool and dry unlike plastic.

The Imporium is a completely different pen.

Good luck!

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Lamy's matte black does seem prone to scratching. Keep that in mind of you're a bit OCD.

Holding the dialog is definitely different. Not having a grip, you can pretty much hold it anywhere - close to the nib or farther away. After using the pen for a month I've come to like that, but it still feels new. It's that kind of design - like the 2000, it remains surprising.

The Palladium finish is durable. The metal may seem a bit slippery at first, but it's actually good with sweaty hands or when it's hot - the metal stays cool and dry unlike plastic.

The Imporium is a completely different pen.

Good luck!

+1

The palladium seems to be more durable than the black but I have yet to witness any issue with either.

Engineer :